Proposal for a new command: /timeout

Do you get angry with people going on about something you find inappropriate in a chat channel but don't want to use /ignore or /gignore because now you won't ever hear them or be able to team with them?  Or otherwise you have to keep track like an accountant of whether someone deserves a lifetime ban or a week, a day, or an hour before you remove them from your ignore list?

I propose a new command: /timeout (playername or @global) (number from 1 - 9999) - where the number represents the number of hours you want the person to spend on "timeout" on your ignore list. The max number 9999 is about 14 months.

This idea originated from the discussion found here: 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 11

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I propose a new command: /timeout (playername or @global) (number from 1 - 9999)

I think this is a terrible idea and I'd rather have bards.

• Haha 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

5 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Do you get angry with people going on about something you find inappropriate in a chat channel but don't want to use /ignore or /gignore because now you won't ever hear them or be able to team with them?

No.  I use /ignore specifically for that reason, so I don't see what they type or feel a need to respond to them ever again.  Ever.  Evvvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Lifetime of the universe                                                                                                                                                                                                       anyone coming off of the /ignore list

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->                                   .

That's what the /ignore list is for.  The only problem with /ignore, as far as I'm concerned, is that the number of entries it can contain is abysmally low.  It needs a decimal shift three places to the right.  Maybe four, just in case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

28 minutes ago, Luminara said:

No.  I use /ignore specifically for that reason, so I don't see what they type or feel a need to respond to them ever again.  Ever.  Evvvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

I was joking earlier when I said it was a terrible idea, given that I suggested the idea in the linked thread. I've even documented here in the forums where people get tired of MY LFG ads (can you imagine?), and they would likely love to /timeout me for a bit. That's cool. Sometimes, you just need a timeout.

In general, I'd love the chat system to be even more robust so you can ignore posts with terms, too. /ignore #DFB, or /ignore #farm

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Lifetime of the universe                                                                                                                                                                                                       anyone coming off of the /ignore list

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->                                   .

That's what the /ignore list is for.  The only problem with /ignore, as far as I'm concerned, is that the number of entries it can contain is abysmally low.  It needs a decimal shift three places to the right.  Maybe four, just in case.

Now I understand why Lumi thinks the player base is shrinking.  It’s actually not, he just ignores faster than new players can join

🙂

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Now I understand why Lumi thinks the player base is shrinking.

I never said that.  I've never even implied it.

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It’s actually not, he just ignores faster than new players can join

I remove all global channels from every character as soon as I exit the character creator.  And /local.  And /emote.  I ignore everyone, without prejudice or bias.

YARN | ... I am kind. | 300 (2007) | Video clips by quotes | de9e35ad | 紗

• Haha 1

Seems reasonable enough. (I have never used the ignore function but I might try it if it worked this way)

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It’s actually not, he just ignores faster than new players can join

So much going on here it is glorious.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

@Bionic_Flea I actually thought this was for an in mission timeout button. Which I would also approve of for when real life needs attention.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

41 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

You don't ignore us here...

I do have about a dozen people on ignore here.  I decided that it was better to cut off the source of irritation, or incentive to engage in a pissing match, than to test my maturity and resolve.  I'm certain the GMs appreciate my decision.

But I enjoy communicating with people here.  The one thing I missed more than anything else during the between years was the forums.  I love the game, but I love the forums more.  I always have.  It's the least threatening medium of communication, from the perspective of a person with social anxiety disorder.  The lack of immediacy removes one of the obstacles which I typically encounter when I'm trying to express myself.

Forums also offer a degree of granularity that chat channels lack.  I can choose not to read a conversation or comment on a forum, whereas I can't in a chat channel unless I use /ignore.  I can read a conversation or comment when I wish on a forum, rather than catch it immediately or miss it forever in a chat channel.  I can respond at my leisure on a forum, whether it's in a few minutes, or after I watch a movie, or in a week, as opposed to hammering out a response before whatever I'm responding to scrolls out of temporary storage.

And most of the people using the forums display at least a basic level of literacy, as opposed to the horrible spelling, grammar and punctuation (or lack thereof) typically used in chat channels... and, again, the granularity here allows me to remove that particular headache without removing the entire communication medium.

There's also a slightly higher character limit on forum posts than chat messages, and we all know how much I love to use as many words as humanly possible, at every available opportunity.

Of course I don't ignore you here.  I've known some of you, in one way or another, for almost 20 years.  This is home, as far as I'm concerned, and we're family.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

How about a command that puts you n touch with a therapist that is covered by your insurance to help you figure out why you don't get along with strangers on the internet?

w o w

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Erhnam said:

If the issue is avoiding spam, why not add "Slow mode" to LFG chat? Only one message per minute allowed. After all, no one needs to advertise their group 4 times in a minute

I disagree.

If a team is filling fast,  you need to be able to tell others that that the team is filling, and also to be able to announce it as soon as possible once it is full.

Hopefully, people can police themselves.

People have been pretty good about calling out people when they are abusing the /lfg or /help channels. 

It's easy enough to direct people to the /general channel. Homecoming DEVs specifically created it for that reason.

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

Wouldn't a permatimeout command just be the ignore command?

Use it wisely and as directed.

The /ignore list is pretty limited

Once you are filled up, for each new person you put on ignore, the oldest one on the list falls off the ignore list. (... honestly, I've found by the time that happens they aren't playing anymore. I  haven't had to /ignore anyone in a long time)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Erhnam said:

If the issue is avoiding spam, why not add "Slow mode" to LFG chat? Only one message per minute allowed. After all, no one needs to advertise their group 4 times in a minute

I suggested this a couple years ago. In general, I think the biggest objection was potentially not being able to post that a team was "full" quickly enough.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

If a team is filling fast,  you need to be able to tell others that that the team is filling...

Why? When there are hundreds of people online, why do I need to know that your DFB is 5/8, 6/8, 7/8...?

• Thumbs Down 1