Better for the market to sell there...

JasperStone

Anything sold to a vendor disappears forever.  Poof gone.

Everything which can be sold to a vendor is created on the fly by the game engine.  There aren't piles of SOs, recipes, salvage, whatever, sitting in a secret warehouse, shipping out to characters every time they receive a drop or make a purchase from a vendor, it doesn't exist at all, as anything more than a number in a table, until the very instant when it's created.  Poof exist.

Whether it's economically better or worse would require an analysis of all relevant factors.  Total items created per unit of time, number of items vendorized in that unit of time, total inf* generated by vendorizing those items within that unit of time, number of created items listed at the market per unit of time, total inf* exchanged for created items sold per unit of time, amount of inf* poofgoned by market fees per unit of time... you get the gist.  What you do with your stuff now is likely of no great consequence, as there are a couple thousand players all doing their own things with their own stuff, and that tends to create a balancing effect.

Vendorize away, someone else is almost always packing the market with the same things you're vendorizing, keeping prices low, tipping the scales back to center.

Mmm... vendorize... I like it!  I'm going to need a nickel every time someone uses that, m'kay?

Oh, poofgone as a verb is mine, too.  Anyone who uses it without my permission will be poofgoned.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Here's a play of how the /AH works, in three acts.

Act I:

Player A:  Ugh, this recipe is junk, I'm going to dump it on the market.

Player B:  Ugh, this salvage is junk, I'm going to dump it on the market.

Player C : Ugh, these merits are junk.  I'm going to change them for converters and dump them on the market.

Player D :  *nods, buys*

Act II:

* a golden light gradually grows until it is blinding.  The musical interlude is cacophanous yet strangely familiar.*

Act III:

Player D :  *puts something on the market at a significant premium*

Players A, B, C :  Ooh.  SHINY.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

It is the inevitable result of dupin rares and we all know what comes next.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

2 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Is it better for the game economy to sell on the market?

I think a better question is how it affects YOUR economy.

Some items should be dumped at the vendor because it's not worth your time to list them on the market.

Some items will get you A LOT more inf if you list them on the market.

• Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I sell a lot of items while in my base ...do those back to the game or are they... poof gone?

As long as people have confidence in the market (that they will be able to buy and sell things there), the economy will be ok.  

There should be a bit of a feedback mechanism.  Let's take common salvage, which vendors at 250 inf.  Or you can sell it on the /AH and may get more or less than that (after sales fees).  If everyone offered salvage at a level that would guarantee them an equal or better return (278, for example, which nets you 250 after fees), either prices would move there, or people would find it easier or want to pursue badges and offer it at something lower.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Player D :  *puts something on the market at a significant premium*

In real life, I hate price gouging.

I wish there is a way to make enough inf* to get those purples and whatnot without feeling like a hypocrite. 

10 minutes ago, huang3721 said:

In real life, I hate price gouging.

I wish there is a way to make enough inf* to get those purples and whatnot without feeling like a hypocrite. 

This is the part of the conversation I hate, because it's really hard to get my point across without being insulting.

Every single person can be Player D.  I have written a dozen guides about how to be Player D.  The more Player Ds, the more Market PvP, the lower prices get.

If there is price gouging, it is simply because other people are either too uneducated or too unmotivated to stop it.

Be Player D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

7 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I sell a lot of items while in my base ...do those back to the game or are they... poof gone?

Yeah, if you sell them to a vendor they are gone.

But, at the same time, the DEVs are seeding the market.

is there a net loss? yes.

It mainly affects recipes and not salvage. Primarily, IO set recipes and generic level 45 and 50 IOs recipes. But, of course, as a result of having these out in the market means possible increase in the amount of the related crafted recipes on the market.

I don't know about the TO, DO, or SO enhances as I neither sell them to vendors nor on the market. I sometimes give the dropped enhances away, but I usually just delete them.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

29 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

the more Market PvP

This is the best (most balanced) PvP in City of Heroes.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

The devs only seeded salvage.  And as far as I know, that was only done initially and they have not reseeded.  Everything else is player driven.

Even then, I think the seeded stock of salvage has barely been scratched. Bids have stayed well away from the seeded price.

My decision to dump on AH or Vendor comes down to this.  Which is more annoying to me today?

1.  The clunky Auction house interface that requires me to drag and drop and click the quantity accept button to put everything in the AH.  Then add the extra step of putting the price a bunch of times.

- or -

2.  The vender interface "bug" where if I click the sell button too quickly on on the last piece of a stacked item, there will no longer be any item selected, forcing me to to move my mouse up to the list and select an item again then go back to clicking sell.

My choice varies by my mood.  If it were possible to reject white salvage, I'd just do that.  I sell yellows on the AH (I put my orange salvage in my vault).  I reject uncommon and rare recipes.  The level 50 common recipes are decent cash at a vendor.  PvP and Purple recipes get made into enhancements sold on the AH.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

11 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

And as far as I know

Okay

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

17 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Okay

"Salvage Market seeded to keep costs down: 10K for common salvage, 100K for uncommon salvage, 1M for rare salvage, and 50K for a Brainstorm Idea"

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Issue_26

Suffering Succotash GIF - Suffering Succotash Jeez GIFs

Edited by Bionic_Flea

36 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

"Salvage Market seeded to keep costs down: 10K for common salvage, 100K for uncommon salvage, 1M for rare salvage, and 50K for a Brainstorm Idea"

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Issue_26

Yes. That does say that they were seeding the salvage market and at what prices at that time.

sailor-beware-loose-talk-can-cost-lives_

• Confused 1