Second guessing.

LegionAlpha

24 minutes ago, LegionAlpha said:

Ever have that moment when you a have a really  good build on an tank and ask yourself "I know I can this one better. Just need a slight adjustment".  But then stop and kinda slap yourself out of it out of fear of mucking it up? I am in that moment right now. 

All the time... Just go with it.  It usually leads to bigger and better.

Save the build before you do with an alternate name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LegionAlpha said:

Ever have that moment when you a have a really  good build on an tank and ask yourself "I know I can this one better. Just need a slight adjustment".  But then stop and kinda slap yourself out of it out of fear of mucking it up? I am in that moment right now. 

You can have more than one build.

If you're unsure if a potential optimization is truly worth it, you can always pop the new build into Brainstorm and give it a test drive before you commit.

No effort is truly wasted as long as you are constantly learning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

44 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

You can have more than one build.

The train of thought for me was, It is almost "perfect" I have high resist and defense. Plus it does not help that many enemies I use to turn and shy away not does nothing to hurt me.  Dare I screw it up  as I contemplated it. 

8 hours ago, LegionAlpha said:

It is almost "perfect" I have high resist and defense.

Must be an Invulnerability build.

<---self-professed Inv fanboy

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

11 hours ago, LegionAlpha said:

Been there.  I find it a hassle to respec, and will often stick with a build if it's "good enough".  Having gotten into the IO/set-bonus "meta game" only recently in my time playing CoH, this adds yet another layer of complexity to consider;  A power may not be that useful on its own, but if it can accept some great procs or a particular set bonus I'm after, it bears consideration.  TBH, I lean more toward thematic builds, but will generally devote 1 of my builds to a higher-performance build...

18 hours ago, LegionAlpha said:

Post your current build and ask for help. With so many knowledgeable Tankers ( @Infinitum @Hyperstrike @PLVRIZR and I'd like to think myself too) I'm sure someone could look and perhaps give you another look or idea. I can't speak for them (but I will...because that's what good players and Tankers do 😎), we wouldn't mind a bit to lend a helping hand, or a second set of eyes to go over your build.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, LegionAlpha said:

The train of thought for me was, It is almost "perfect" I have high resist and defense. Plus it does not help that many enemies I use to turn and shy away not does nothing to hurt me.  Dare I screw it up  as I contemplated it. 

There is no "Overkill".

There is only "Kill" with ever-increasing confidence levels.

It's not that a BIT more performance can't be squeezed out of almost anything.
It all depends on what you're willing to compromise with.

Want a bit more Recharge?
Willing to trade a little Resist or Defense?
Maybe your "MaxHP" isn't QUITE so "maxed", etc.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

14 hours ago, Xandyr said:

With so many knowledgeable Tankers ( @Infinitum @Hyperstrike @PLVRIZR and I'd like to think myself too)

Honored to be mentioned and yes, you are, as well 🙂

• Thanks 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

18 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Post your current build and ask for help. With so many knowledgeable Tankers ( @Infinitum @Hyperstrike @PLVRIZR and I'd like to think myself too) I'm sure someone could look and perhaps give you another look or idea. I can't speak for them (but I will...because that's what good players and Tankers do 😎), we wouldn't mind a bit to lend a helping hand, or a second set of eyes to go over your build.

I have a really DUMB question.  As I'm not THAT familiar with this forum software.

But how the hell do you get usernames to highlight like that?

And yes, I'm honored that someone thinks anything I say is worthwhile.
It means I screwed up somewhere...  😁

9 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

I have a really DUMB question.  As I'm not THAT familiar with this forum software.

Think you just type @<name>, like @Infinitum

Should mention that after you type @ you will get a list of names based on what you follow it with and you should click the name. Also, doing so will notify the user they have been mentioned, like @Hyperstrike should have just done for you.

Edited by Erratic1

Respecs are cheap so just give it a try. Tbh most of min maxing will just fly unnoticed. Another X% resistances or Y% recharge more (or less) in a game with 5% whiffing is not something blatantly obvious.

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Respecs are cheap so just give it a try. Tbh most of min maxing will just fly unnoticed. Another X% resistances or Y% recharge more (or less) in a game with 5% whiffing is not something blatantly obvious.

This.  I try to look for stuff I'd actually notice making a difference and if I can't find it, I don't sweat the build.  This usually means more like what powers I have and when than the difference between one set bonus and another.   Putting that Theft of Essence in Rad Therapy.  Having Focused Accuracy the next time I'm assaulted by five hurricane-wielding witches or sorcerers.  Having 80-100% slow resist when you rely on healing or absorb shield refresh.  That sort of thing.

Defense is maybe one of the few things where squeezing out one or two more % can make what feels like a binary difference in survival.  But that's the nature of defense.  Immortal... until you're suddenly dead.  Though not exactly as sudden on a Tanker, still feels alarmingly fast if you're not used to bleeding your own blood.

2 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Think you just type @<name>, like @Infinitum

Should mention that after you type @ you will get a list of names based on what you follow it with and you should click the name. Also, doing so will notify the user they have been mentioned, like @Hyperstrike should have just done for you.

Testing @Hyperstrike Okay...

Tried retrofitting <NAME> to @<NAME> and it didnt't work.  Good to know.  Thanks!