My first Dominator

Diantane

Have played a "lot" of alts (92 on the Excelsior server (95% over 35), but never a "Dom". After taking the alpha on every character I have played (got tired of players standing there waiting for someone else to make the first attack) so I just go in (die sometimes, most times not). So the dominator not having any defense didn't bother me.

Since Issue 4 just came out I figured it was the perfect time to finally make a dominator and use the new powersets, "Symphony and Sonic Assault." Just started doing the newbie arcs to test everything out. Now even though I am young, I figure that the low level NPC's are weak as well. But I'm seeing that the controller powers aren't doing much (once in a great while the foe might go to sleep). I'm thinking, "This is a controller?" All that the symphony powers were doing was making a loud noise and doing a tiny amount of damage. The only time my control powers would work for certain was when I press the Dom button, but that didn't last very long (a few seconds at best). At level 8 I just gave up (it was late and I wanted to turn in anyway). To me, this is the weakest AT in the game. Sure it would get more powerful later on, but then so would the bad guys.

2 hours ago, Diantane said:

Have played a "lot" of alts (92 on the Excelsior server (95% over 35), but never a "Dom". After taking the alpha on every character I have played (got tired of players standing there waiting for someone else to make the first attack) so I just go in (die sometimes, most times not). So the dominator not having any defense didn't bother me.

Since Issue 4 just came out I figured it was the perfect time to finally make a dominator and use the new powersets, "Symphony and Sonic Assault." Just started doing the newbie arcs to test everything out. Now even though I am young, I figure that the low level NPC's are weak as well. But I'm seeing that the controller powers aren't doing much (once in a great while the foe might go to sleep). I'm thinking, "This is a controller?" All that the symphony powers were doing was making a loud noise and doing a tiny amount of damage. The only time my control powers would work for certain was when I press the Dom button, but that didn't last very long (a few seconds at best). At level 8 I just gave up (it was late and I wanted to turn in anyway). To me, this is the weakest AT in the game. Sure it would get more powerful later on, but then so would the bad guys.

Trollers and doms are VERY different.

Trollers will have longer innate duration. Symphany takes time to ramp up, and since you're young, you'll feel the pains even moreso. Give it a lil, then get perma dom and you'll soon see why dom's are freaking nice.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I think of Dominators as Trollers with a more direct approach. You got your crowd control powers in your primary, and you have more straightforward  attacks both ranged and melee in your secondary. While I enjoy playing both, I tend to lean towards Doms for more active (jump into the thick of things and thrash around) type of play. And I agree, you don't need a lot of def/res if things around you are locked down or dead or dying. However, what I've noticed is that most of my doms are late bloomers. They start off decent if you're careful. But as you hit the 30s and 40s, it's when things get really fun. Maybe it's me, maybe it's you, maybe it's Maybeline. I dunno.

Give it a chance to bloom. Level 1-20 is rather misleading. Sort your affairs at 20-30 and you should be able to enjoy dominating with little effort the rest of the game. Also, I just tend to set the Domination button on auto.

• Like 1

Enemies not being controlled may have been a result of whatever you were targeting. Hellions, Arachnos, and Vahzilok were all immobilized/held successfully by my Symphony/Energy Blast Dominator last night.

The controls are only somewhat shorter in duration than on a controller but sufficient to tie up groups at a time. Running the lowest of missions from Matthew Habashy where you take on five Hellions at once, nothing made it to me and that pattern persisted up through level 8 last night (though I expect that to change). 

As for damage, you are not a blaster. Lower damage is the price for locking things down. You are getting to shoot fish in a barrel, so they deny you the .45 and instead give you a speargun. Sonic has historically been tuned downward further in damage because it debuffs resistance. If it were not tuned down, it would dominate over all other blast sets. So you need to get a chain of attacks going with Sonic to overlap resist debuffs for it to be doing its best damage. If you do not have a lot of those becaue you took more control powers then you may have run into the issue of underperformance because you have so few powers at level 8.  With the changes to Sonic though, a few more attack powers should bring you back up to par.

• Like 3

Don't know your power selections, but at lvl 8 the only control powers you have access to are the ST hold, ST and cone immobilizes, ST confuse and cone fear (the cone sleep isn't available until lvl 12). Only the hold is a true "hard" control which prevents the foe from acting at all. The immobilizes just prevent the foes from moving, not from attacking. The fear limits the foe's ability to run or attack, but doesn't eliminate it. The confuse causes the foe to fight for you. Domination increases the magnitude and duration of the mezz, not its chance of occurring. Do you have accuracy slotted? The powers don't work if you miss.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Thanks for all the input. Kind of pulls me away from the wall of despair. I do believe since I am so young that I will re-roll from Sonic Assault. A bit too complicated for me. I was also put down by the lack of damage. Every character I play gets to at least 35 (higher if I really like it. Fifty if I know I got something that is worth bringing to incarnates). Thanks again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, that happens sometimes. No matter how good something seems on paper or in your head, sometimes actually running it proves otherwise. I've had fun with Dark/Martial and am having fun with Mind/Savage. I tried Ice/Ice and Fire/Fire and didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought. I had more fun Grav/Energy and (a parked) Elec/Elec but even those two are a far second from the first pair. I recently rolled a Fire/Martial so I'll see how he does. I hope you find a keeper.

I rerolled to a Symphony/Rad Dom. Made it all the way to 17 my first evening after doing Frostfire at +4. Think is, since my secondary rad powers didn't do much damage, I concentrated on spamming my control powers. They are all slotted with accuracy SO's along with two immobilization, fear, sleep, etc.. Even with all that casting that was taxing my endurance, it didn't do much good. Because all of the holds were interrupted as soon as damage came in from the team. So what good are control powers if they only work for a split second?

Holds and immobilizes are not interrupted by damage. Sleeps and fears are.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Status_Effect

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

I rerolled to a Symphony/Rad Dom. Made it all the way to 17 my first evening after doing Frostfire at +4. Think is, since my secondary rad powers didn't do much damage, I concentrated on spamming my control powers. They are all slotted with accuracy SO's along with two immobilization, fear, sleep, etc.. Even with all that casting that was taxing my endurance, it didn't do much good. Because all of the holds were interrupted as soon as damage came in from the team. So what good are control powers if they only work for a split second?

That is part of the fun/strategy of playing a Dom. 

Immobilization does not go away when they are attacked, it can wear off though.  Plus, they can still attack you even though they can't move.  Personally, I skip the immobilization powers on my doms as I don't need them soloing, and, in a group, you have to be careful not to use them too early when folks are trying to gather the enemies together for AoE powers.  If I want to immobilize, fear, holds, stun are a good substitutes.  Immobilization can be very useful in keeping a mob from running around, especially in the later game, but I still skip them.

With Fear, the targets only respond to attacks on a one to one basis, and, maybe, run away not attacking to wander back a little later.  I would rather enemies only attack me if I attack them then to do as they please.  Symphony's fear doesn't have any other effects (other than a little bit of damage) like Dark (-ACC) but still a great power.  I use the Energy secondary so great damage, little AoE.  I fear a group on approach.  Hit one with my single target hold.  Take it down.  Single target hold has recharged, hold the next and repeat through the spawn.    

With Sleep, while some skip this power, I find it great to deal with adds or a way to keep things away when your trying to deal with other mobs.  First, its an autohit so slot accordingly.  Next, it stops the mobs.  When I solo, I can sleep a group, then individually pick off each one.  In a group, someone is going to wake them up with an AoE attack, but, remember, every moment they sleep is a moment they are not attacking, not buffing, and standing still.  

Confusion is great.   Sure, when they do damage to the enemy and that lowers the xp you get a little, but, man, fighting others and not me, great power.  Great to use on Tsoo Sorcerers for a free unreliable heal bot.  Sky Raiders Force Field Generators are fun too.  See a Sapper?  Confuse it.  Other fun thing about confuse, if they are the only enemy, they stand there like if they are held.  Also, confused enemies do not attack you.

Hold powers.  You should have the single target hold, that lasts a decent amount of time, even if the target is attacked.  Unless your in Domination you'll have to hit a boss twice, but great power.  You'll get an AoE version in the late 20s.  Great powers.

Your a few levels away from a decent stun power.  Nice cone, decent damage, and they do not leave stun if attacked.  They meander like drunken idiots, but you can still shoot them to your hearts content. 

I'm a little more concerned for you a truly high levels when Blasters have their nukes and while you will have great holds, enemies are generally defeated so fast it does not matter.

I'm testing out my Symphsonic Dom (keep an eye out for "Selene Dyonne"). It's certainly fun and varied: and IMnpHO, what brings you fun is better than minmaxing down to the nth degree.

Tips:

• If it gels with your build and concept, you may find the Sorcery Pool very helpful at lower levels. A nice ranged damage, a combo Fly/TP, a really handy status and damage resist clicky, and a couple of team buffs. Once you're strong enough, decide whether to respec it out or keep it.
  • Once you can afford the inf and slots, the Devastation +Hold proc is your friend. It's only a 15% chance to hold, (and only 50 Merits if you buy the recipe), but once it's on all your single target attacks then you'll have plenty of bonus holds.
  • See also: Lockdown +2 for Chords Of Despair and Deafening Wave.
  • End is a problem, but 3-slot your inherent Stamina and use any proc you can apply to other powers to get more: and step right up to that full Domination bar for free refills. 
Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

20 hours ago, Diantane said:

I rerolled to a Symphony/Rad Dom. Made it all the way to 17 my first evening after doing Frostfire at +4. Think is, since my secondary rad powers didn't do much damage, I concentrated on spamming my control powers. 

The base damage on Neutrino Bolt exceeds the base damage on Melodic Binding (not by a lot, but it does). Since Melodic Binding and Hymn of Dissonance have the same base damage, Neutrino Bolt also beats it for damage. As Neutrino Bolt is your weakest Radiation Blast power, the others will do even more damage compared to Melodic Binding and Hymn of Dissonance.  Impassioned Serenade should be (can't check it without playing up but can look at City of Data) doing damage on par with X-Ray Beam.

Long and short, you should be using your Radiation attacks, particularly when your Symphony attacks are on cooldown. In fact, you probably should prioritize them for dealing damage over your Symphony attacks as that allows you to apply controls when needed. So yes, use the Symphonic attacks but only when Radiation is on cooldown. And that before considering that Radiation attacks lower defenses and make it more likely for you (and others) to hit foes which have been hit by your Radiation attacks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

(and only 50 Merits if you buy the recipe)

Good lord, man. Don't by from that lady. She'll bleed you dry! 1 merit = 2 unslotters/3 converters which is easily 2-300k on any given day. 50x300k = 15,000,000 inf. The you've got the salvage + crafting fee to deal with (add another 600k+) as well as a catalyst (1,500,000). Devastation +chance to hold) Attuned goes for 2-3mil tops. Another route you can go is craft a dropped or bought recipe and convert until you luck out. You'll end up using less converters/merits plus it's a fun mini-game, like slot machine or craps.

Same goes for ATOs. Waaaay cheaper from the AH.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:30 AM, Diantane said:

First off, you may be used to the extra damage controllers get from containment - your single target immobilize is strong enough to affect a boss, thereby triggering the extra damage, so you may be missing that.  Second, you have to leverage the assault secondary more - don't just spam your mezzes and expect enemies to die quickly.  Third, besides your single target hold, 9which needs 2 applications to lock down a boss), your toolbox is very limited.  While those lower level enemies may be weaker, you are as well, so keep within that mindset.  While the -res on some of the sonic assault attacks is nice, you don't have many other tools to make your life easier....