Focused Feedback: Battle Axe Revamp

8 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

Clarification: powers are not going to change the enhancement sets they accept..

Now this is interesting.

You guys made a set that people don't take seriously in to something pretty darn fun. Kudos and hats off btw.

34 minutes ago, PorkTips said:

Is Battle Axe being proliferated to Stalkers? I have always been hoping they would be, but I didnt see anything about it.

Would be nice. With AS taking the place of Gash or, if absolutely need be, Swoop. Stalkers losing AoEs is one of the most fundamental problems the AT suffers from.

3 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Played an axe/ea scrap last night for a couple hrs. I've always liked axe, but never saw reason to play it over warmace, or even broadsword really.

Some observations:

Swoop has so much knockup that it can cause enemies to be out of range of other melee attacks (vs +0). It probably always did, but the trimmed animation probably makes it more apparent. 

- cued chop generally executed well. cued gash sometimes wouldn't fire until they hit the ground. I'd want to test this more.

This is an issue with a lot of the knockup powers.  The one in War Mace and Super Strength can make that target miss out on a PBAOE if clicked immediately following.

4 hours ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

Clarification: powers are not going to change the enhancement sets they accept.

Although Cleave is a blurry line power at 40ft range, there is a reason "Targeted AoE" sets were renamed to "Ranged AoE" sets a while back. They should only go into ranged AoE attacks that accept range enhancements.

Like Spinning Strike.

Who run Bartertown?

20 hours ago, BrandX said:

Well, Cleave and Pendulum both continue to take Melee AOE sets, they don't take the Targeted AOE sets.

Exactly, and why is it still the god awful targeted aoe and not pbaoe like it should and like it's animation is as well.

As to the pull-in seeming buggy, ive noticed testing sing with my grav/storm, that the pull-in does not work when the enemy is knocked down, and waits for them to be standing to start pulling again. Which is odd, cause repel, which is just the same but opposite direction, does not have this problem. Would be nice if that was fixed for both.

21 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Exactly, and why is it still the god awful targeted aoe and not pbaoe like it should and like it's animation is as well.

As to the pull-in seeming buggy, ive noticed testing sing with my grav/storm, that the pull-in does not work when the enemy is knocked down, and waits for them to be standing to start pulling again. Which is odd, cause repel, which is just the same but opposite direction, does not have this problem. Would be nice if that was fixed for both.

Them being targeted aoe doesn't bother me personally.  

1 minute ago, BrandX said:

Them being targeted aoe doesn't bother me personally.  

It does if you're blinded. The sets are worse too. But thr main issue is the RADIUS. If it was 10ft it wouldn't be as bad, but 7, and esp 6 is WAY worse because they dont gather around your target, they gather around you. Even the pull in of cyclone does around you and not the target. Consistently why I've abandoned stj on scrappers time and time again.

9 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

It does if you're blinded. The sets are worse too. But thr main issue is the RADIUS. If it was 10ft it wouldn't be as bad, but 7, and esp 6 is WAY worse because they dont gather around your target, they gather around you. Even the pull in of cyclone does around you and not the target. Consistently why I've abandoned stj on scrappers time and time again.

Oh.  Okay.  So it's not the sets, but the fact that the attacks require a target to use.  They needed that as cones as it is.  So still needing targets it's much different.

I did say I felt the 3ft radius needed increased. 

1 minute ago, BrandX said:

Oh.  Okay.  So it's not the sets, but the fact that the attacks require a target to use.  They needed that as cones as it is.  So still needing targets it's much different.

I did say I felt the 3ft radius needed increased. 

Well the sets are much worse too but at least cleave or Pendulum being taoe wouldn't be the worst but not both.

And yes its because specifically that its centered around the target IF the radius isn’t big enough. Which when they're centered around you, which they would be especially with cyclone, the radius would need to be about 10ft to hit those on the other side of you from your target as well. I can make a diagram when I'm home if needed but yes it's mostly cause they have too small of a radius.

And since the aoe at that point is that they're getting hit by the Shockwave and not the actual physical weapon, there is no reason it couldn't be 10ft radius thematically as well.

I made a fiery aura/battle axe tank, thinking I'd test two things that would need a look. 

So far, the one thing I've seen that may need a  quick look is Pendulum. When I was looking to choose the power after leveling (never played battle axe before) it looked to me like it was an AoE, and not an arc. So, I check the patch notes and see why. But the tool tip from the mouse hovering over the name of the power says, "Pendulum is not affected by arc changes"...which confused me. It's a targeted AoE now, so why would it? 

I'm just saying for this obtuse player, it's confusing. I think the mouse over tool tip should say  "Melee AoE", whereas before it was a cone. The green text still suggests it's a cone. The detailed info upon actually choosing the power Melee AoE. 

image.png.6af0d7a7b2e20086216ee6adb7c0832f.png

A minor thing, but because I think many folks will try it for the first time (myself included) we may benefit from making it more clear prior to choosing the power. 

• Developer
On 10/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, flakoff said:

This is my annoyance,  we build a toon and one day you say, oh the sets don't suit the power let's change them.

When slotting options are changed, any enhancement that was there stays there, they simply cant be added going forward or re-added during a respec.

image.thumb.png.07fe64b26308cd3c157b58cc695449de.png

1 minute ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

When slotting options are changed, any enhancement that was there stays there, they simply cant be added going forward or re-added during a respec.

lol I remember this being the case when Fitness was still a Pool tree.

I just got a chance to try the new changes out and overall I liked them. It does give Axe a unique feel now (I've always liked the idea of Axe, but found it "ho-hum" to play). I noticed that Pendulum is a Targeted AoE, while Axe Cyclone is PBAoE, any reason Pendulum couldn't/shouldn't be PBAoE as well? I also liked getting Pendulum earlier in the tiers. Now you don't have to wait so long for an AoE. I liked the ranged aspect of Cleave as well. Overall, first impression, I liked what I saw and played. Can't wait for it to go live. Oh, yeah, and I loved playing Axe Cyclone. There's probably a reason that the radius is 15', but I'd like to try it at 20' and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the work you're doing.

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

23 minutes ago, Warboss said:

I just got a chance to try the new changes out and overall I liked them. It does give Axe a unique feel now (I've always liked the idea of Axe, but found it "ho-hum" to play). I noticed that Pendulum is a Targeted AoE, while Axe Cyclone is PBAoE, any reason Pendulum couldn't/shouldn't be PBAoE as well? I also liked getting Pendulum earlier in the tiers. Now you don't have to wait so long for an AoE. I liked the ranged aspect of Cleave as well. Overall, first impression, I liked what I saw and played. Can't wait for it to go live. Oh, yeah, and I loved playing Axe Cyclone. There's probably a reason that the radius is 15', but I'd like to try it at 20' and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the work you're doing.

Pendulum and Axe Cyclone both take PBAOE sets, while Cleave takes Melee sets.  They didn't change the sets they take now when I tested.  No Targeted AOE Set use.

I finally got a real chance to test this, and wow, Battle Axe is one monster of a tank primary now. I think it'll still be pretty good on brutes and other ATs with smaller AOEs but I think Tanks are where it'll really shine brightest.

Which is pretty fitting, it was one of "the" Tank secondaries back in the day.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:34 PM, Warboss said:

(I've always liked the idea of Axe, but found it "ho-hum" to play).

This is how I felt. I really dig weapons for some reason, and Axe did seem to get some cool looking ones. Now this is just sublime.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, BrandX said:

Pendulum and Axe Cyclone both take PBAOE sets, while Cleave takes Melee sets.  They didn't change the sets they take now when I tested.  No Targeted AOE Set use.

They may both take PBAoE sets, but the powers are not both PBAoE. With Axe Cyclone no target is required. With Pendulum, a in range melee target is required or the power will not fire (no matter how many times you click the button).

Pendulum.png.6042f7e50f3507adde117de37eac02e2.png

AxeCyclone.png.90d86e38501e662f22e86b7a9ed29f96.png

a

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Was just able to get back on test, and I love these changes. I look forward to playing the set live.

Thanks again for making these changes and giving this set some love,. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

5 hours ago, Warboss said:

They may both take PBAoE sets, but the powers are not both PBAoE. With Axe Cyclone no target is required. With Pendulum, a in range melee target is required or the power will not fire (no matter how many times you click the button).

Pendulum.png.6042f7e50f3507adde117de37eac02e2.png

AxeCyclone.png.90d86e38501e662f22e86b7a9ed29f96.png

a

Yes, I know.  I was just saying what they took.

Cleave is now a range attack and doesn't take range sets.  

Tested this, and I can pretty easily keep an aoe chain going, which is nice.  Having some of this aoe available way earlier is also nice, especially on a tank.  I've tanked many a TF with one or two attacks plus taunt, which gets real dull.

Would really like to be able to use the original animation, or something like it, for axe cyclone.  I prefer the simple axe moves without wind effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Widower unpinned and locked this topic