Magic Staff Ranged Powerset Pitch

StarWarrior01

9 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Not so much a new power, but I wouldn't mind porting the existing powers to wand/staff and guns/riffles. So basically the option to have the blast sets like elec, fire, ice, etc. be fired from a tool like a wand or staff. Similarly, arm or shoulder mounted cannons would also work. The only ones I don't see working off the top of my head would be AR and Pistols for the wand or staff. But almost all powers would fit nicely into a tech-oriented rifle weapon, hand-gun weapon, or wrist mounted weapon. The Clockwork and BCUs already have some sort of shoulder mounted firing mechanism, hence why I threw that in.

I would kill for a robot toon with shoulder mounted weapon animations substituted for any power in the game, but especially for AR, Beam, DP and the epic weapon sets.   Bonus points if there were two shoulder mounted options with different weapon poeces and you could choose which powers fired from which shoulder

Look!  It’s a miniature giant fighting robot!!!  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I know this may not be what you were going for, but I wonder just how wonky it would look to place some staff/wand weapon models in place of the rifles and pistols...

It would probably require new animations, as opposed to just shoving a wand/staff/thing into the existing animation. 
At least if it were to look up-to-snuff with the rest of what Homecoming has produced for new sets.

1 minute ago, MTeague said:

It would probably require new animations, as opposed to just shoving a wand/staff/thing into the existing animation. 
At least if it were to look up-to-snuff with the rest of what Homecoming has produced for new sets.

Well, I was kind of thinking how the staff weapons in Stargate are sometimes held and fired, much like a rifle...

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Well, I was kind of thinking how the staff weapons in Stargate are sometimes held and fired, much like a rifle...

I wouldn't like that, and I definitely wouldn't want to see it in place of a wand/staff powerset.

That said, I wouldn't mind it either if it was made an option.

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't mind if they just directly ported the pistols and rifle powers to wands and staves, provided they remove the muzzle flare -- I can already imagine beam rifle and flame thrower animations going smoothly. The projectiles like grenades and bullets would take a teeny bit more suspension of disbelief, but only an itsy bitsy bit... definitely not beyond the capability of most people who play this game. I suppose this kind of thinking is "it's better to have it and complain about it than not have it at all." Like back holstered blades and weapons. Not perfect, but workable. 😃 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, StarWarrior01 said:

Has anyone ever wondered what it would be like to have a Magic Staff Powerset?

This pretty much the same concept as a magic wand power set which has been discussed previously. 

I wouldn't doubt that a magic staff has been as well.

I would see it much more likely to be a power customization of ranged power sets than its own power set.

At the same time, I have to admit I would try pretty much any power set that the DEVs give us.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:45 PM, MHertz said:

If we're talking about added animations for other sets, I'd go with

• staff
  • magic wand
  • ray gun
  • casting with runes
  • pushing buttons on techno-gauntlet
  • eye beams
  • breath weapon
  • sword that shoots stuff

But then I realized that most of those just turn City of Heroes into City of World of Warcraft.

If there's going to be a staff set, it should be a powerset, not an animation.

I disagree in the following sense.

I would suggest that current powers would originate from a staff or a wand or both based on character customization. 
So your Fireball might come from a Staff but your Flares attack comes from a wand. 

Personally I think this is the direction that Homecoming should go. 
Work on different animations for the current power sets. 
EG dual pistols could be dual laser pistols, Assault Rifle attacks originating from different animations, Full auto is off a shoulder mounted weapon predator style, Or 2 Uzi being fired.