Where's my Super Pack: Lords of Winter Sale?

BlackSpectre

Every year it's something I really look forward to. It makes that holiday's a little more special. At 25 mil each, they are VERY pricey! With purples selling at 15 mil these days, the Winter packs are the second most expensive thing in the market (after Hami-Os)! If the sale price is an issue, just use real life examples. 20% off is a decent sale. 25% off is a good sale. 30-50% off is a fantastic sale!  

What about putting the Super Pack: Heroes and Villains on sale on Veteran's Day? Or D-day? Or any other holiday celebrating heroes?

Or the Super Pack: Rogues and Vigilantes on sale on St. Patricks Day (cuz those leprechauns are treacherous!), or April Fools day cuz... well, it's full of tricksters?

Just some ideas... but I really am missing my Winter sale... 

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, its not happening anymore as @Luminara pointed out. Too much effort for the behind the scenes to make it happen if I remember the reasoning correctly.

Post from 2021:

D8F07449-E5DA-42AC-9A3F-FAB9C2841C2D.jpeg

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Not disappointed as I was prepared last year. 

I'll never need to buy another Winter Pack again, but I feel bad for new players or players who didn't realize the Winter Packs wouldn't go on sale this year.  Seems arbitrary and barrier-ish to me, but what the hell do I care, I've got mine.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anything you can have, we have it.  Even got a devil in the attic.

Didnt these cost real $$ back on the retail servers?  I dont feel like them not going on sale is unfair to anyone.  I actually feel the opposite,  winter packs going on sale gave the advantage to those in the know at the expense of those who dont (new players).  When i was new,  i had no idea how people could manage to sell the contents for a 'loss' and couldnt afford to buy them as a result.  It does mean the cost of their contents will rise but nobody has a 10-15M advantage over someone else.

59 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Didnt these cost real $$ back on the retail servers?  I dont feel like them not going on sale is unfair to anyone.  I actually feel the opposite,  winter packs going on sale gave the advantage to those in the know at the expense of those who dont (new players).  When i was new,  i had no idea how people could manage to sell the contents for a 'loss' and couldnt afford to buy them as a result.  It does mean the cost of their contents will rise but nobody has a 10-15M advantage over someone else.

Still you do not ask why?

Damn.  You can lead a horse to water.  But sometimes you gotta hit them over the head with a brick and hold them under to really get the full effect.

So, I will tell you why.  Ready?   (I still have more bricks…)

When the packs went on sale those who knew how to make infamy and had massive influence stashed (we will call these people “the haves”) bought LOTS of them.  The Winter Packs.  Are you still following.  (*picks up brick, holds in hand loosely)

When the sale ended these people (the haves) took the hundreds and thousands of packs they bought and relisted them. For slightly below the regular rate the AH charges.  Making a guaranteed profit on every pack.  All year long.   But wait, they also opened them and sold the parts individually.  Who bought these?   Those people who are new to the server.  Those people who do not follow the sales news.  Those people who do not know how to make tons of cash in game.  (We will call these people the “have nots”).  

So here is the interesting part. (*throws brick right over your head). Do not let this go over your head!  If the Devs put these (winter oacks, or any packs) on sale for a couple weeks the “have nots” get a little discount on stuff they want for a while.  The “haves” get a warchest of influence making ammunition to last all year long.  (*picks up three bricks) Now, there is only one problem with a few “the haves” raking in vaults of influence.  They “the haves” use this to further manipulate and skew the market in their favor.  Basically making the “have nots” fund their takeover of the in game cash machine. 

Care for a brick?

Well, they were 40% off, which is a fantastic sale. They could still reduce the % to something reasonable like 15% or 20%, and still have a sale. That wouldn't skew the market much. However, @Glacier Peak's answer that it was too much work behind the scenes to make it worthwhile might be true. Add the skewing of the market on top of that extra effort, and no more sale. OK. Well, bummer.

Thanks for the answers guys. Appreciate it.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Player2 said:

Disappointing.

"There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to the public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back."

— Robert A. Heinlein

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

Still you do not ask why?

Damn.  You can lead a horse to water.  But sometimes you gotta hit them over the head with a brick and hold them under to really get the full effect.

So, I will tell you why.  Ready?   (I still have more bricks…)

When the packs went on sale those who knew how to make infamy and had massive influence stashed (we will call these people “the haves”) bought LOTS of them.  The Winter Packs.  Are you still following.  (*picks up brick, holds in hand loosely)

When the sale ended these people (the haves) took the hundreds and thousands of packs they bought and relisted them. For slightly below the regular rate the AH charges.  Making a guaranteed profit on every pack.  All year long.   But wait, they also opened them and sold the parts individually.  Who bought these?   Those people who are new to the server.  Those people who do not follow the sales news.  Those people who do not know how to make tons of cash in game.  (We will call these people the “have nots”).  

So here is the interesting part. (*throws brick right over your head). Do not let this go over your head!  If the Devs put these (winter oacks, or any packs) on sale for a couple weeks the “have nots” get a little discount on stuff they want for a while.  The “haves” get a warchest of influence making ammunition to last all year long.  (*picks up three bricks) Now, there is only one problem with a few “the haves” raking in vaults of influence.  They “the haves” use this to further manipulate and skew the market in their favor.  Basically making the “have nots” fund their takeover of the in game cash machine. 

Care for a brick?

So the haves buy the packs at a huge discount and then for the rest of the year still leave packs at a discount to the rest of the players (who can also save money and buy packs to become a "have") and somehow that's bad because the inf is going to a player and not into a burning pit? Why do you care if people Buy packs and sell them at a discount to make more inf? where do you think all the inf goes? Farming has been dead and CC are at a all time low. "the haves" still have there billions and trillions of inf the "have nots" still have to buy the packs and IO's at 25 mill+ But the inf does not stay in the community now it just goes into a fire pit. But not I guess now "the haves" will never make inf again after all the packs are not on sail it was the only way to make inf, and the "have nots" will not buy winter ios or anything "the haves" sell in the AH Problem solved.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, kito said:

So the haves buy the packs at a huge discount and then for the rest of the year still leave packs at a discount to the rest of the players (who can also save money and buy packs to become a "have") and somehow that's bad because the inf is going to a player and not into a burning pit? Why do you care if people Buy packs and sell them at a discount to make more inf? where do you think all the inf goes? Farming has been dead and CC are at a all time low. "the haves" still have there billions and trillions of inf the "have nots" still have to buy the packs and IO's at 25 mill+ But the inf does not stay in the community now it just goes into a fire pit. But not I guess now "the haves" will never make inf again after all the packs are not on sail it was the only way to make inf, and the "have nots" will not buy winter ios or anything "the haves" sell in the AH Problem solved.

By “discount” the value is very close to the AH price.   They do not keep selling them at the sale price.  You really missed the entire point of what I said.  Bricks will not help you.  Go use tobacco products and run with scissors.  The government will protect you.   

12 minutes ago, kito said:

Sure cuz the "have nots" don't want to save even a million or two inf how dare "the haves" give them any discount when they should open Every pack for maximized profit.

Look.  I finally started the tedious process of something I dislike.  Not farming.  I hate that.  But let me tell you

Do you ever notice that you get recipes for I/Os randomly?  I get them too!   Do you ever run TF/SF and get merits?   I do.   Now i take the merits and go to the ATM machine at the AH.  I use the merits to buy Enhancement Converter salvage.   Now I craft the recipe.  Then i use the converters to turn the I/O into something selling fir 3-4 or 6 million in the auction.  I post at about 85% reserve price.  I make money

Now back to my story.  I dislike doing this because even with OCD it is tedious.  So I had built up approx 400 recipes.   I have made my way through nearly 150 and have generated about 1 billion in profit after salvage purchase, crafting cost, and auction fees. Sigh 250 to go. There are faster ways to make money.  Read guides.  Farm.  Or just run content that generates merits and drops (usually 50 content) and raw sell whatever you get. 

But do not stand around whining about how people destroying the planet should continue to be able to so your house is warm and you do not have to do anything.  Plant a garden and put solar panels up    Ride a bike.  

Why do I bother.  Smoke tobacco products, run with scissors, big oil loves you, the government will protect you. 

Edited by Snarky

23 minutes ago, kito said:

Sure cuz the "have nots" don't want to save even a million or two inf how dare "the haves" give them any discount when they should open Every pack for maximized profit.

Expand on this.

This isn't RL markets with RL billionaires. It's CoH. I'd like to understand the concept of "Haves" and "Have-nots".

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

4 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Expand on this.

This isn't RL markets with RL billionaires. It's CoH. I'd like to understand the concept of "Haves" and "Have-nots".

Scroll up to what I posted about 8 hours ago in this thread.  Go ahead.  i'll wait.  Here.  With a brick.

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Scroll up to what I posted about 8 hours ago in this thread.  Go ahead.  i'll wait.  Here.  With a brick.

Right, I read that, and literally thought the entire time:

Why don't you buy some yourself? What's stopping you from getting Inf to buy the IO's/Winter packs back then? That deal went on for...2 or so years? I dunno. During that time, couldn't you of bought some too? Maybe saved up, or used your 50s to get merits/emps(back when conversions were a thing) to get the inf to buy them/flip 'em?

My point is: How is it possible for "Have-nots" to exist, when you pretty much get inf thrown at you for being patient/playin through arcs/mishs

*"you" is used to address the people who identify as Have-nots as a whole, not you specifically Snarky 😄

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Right, I read that, and literally thought the entire time:

Why don't you buy some yourself? What's stopping you from getting Inf to buy the IO's/Winter packs back then? That deal went on for...2 or so years? I dunno. During that time, couldn't you of bought some too? Maybe saved up, or used your 50s to get merits/emps(back when conversions were a thing) to get the inf to buy them/flip 'em?

My point is: How is it possible for "Have-nots" to exist, when you pretty much get inf thrown at you for being patient/playin through arcs/mishs

*"you" is used to address the people who identify as Have-nots as a whole, not you specifically Snarky 😄

Actually last year I did buy about 300 Winter packs during the last (smaller discount) holiday sale.  I still have about 200 winter i/o in my base.  The others have gone into my builds or i gave to SG members.  I do the same with Villain packs.

Look.  Let me break this down.  My character.  Forum name, in game name, and global is Snarky.  I am a villain.  It is a persona.  As a PLAYER I do not need to cut a fellow player so i get more.  To make money I run content at 50 (generates drops/cash) or do what I am currently doing and craft convert and sell all the recipe i/os I get.  This provides a SERVICE to the COMMUNITY by increasing supply of what people WANT.  

Demanding the Devs give me a cut price break for two weeks so I can then resell those all year long to broke players at a premium markup (and near the Dev set normal price) is not a service or helpful.  It is whining until the Devs help me make money off my fellow players.

Do you F-ing get it?  Sheesh.  

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, srmalloy said:

"There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to the public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back."

— Robert A. Heinlein

You leave General Motors outta this!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Those times you saw no footprints, I had Fly toggled on.

59 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Love Robert A Heinlein.  Love.   Should have been turned into a vampire.  And forced to keep writing.

Stranger in a Strange Land is still one of my favorite books, a great story about humanity.

• Thumbs Up 4

Those times you saw no footprints, I had Fly toggled on.