glowie sound control question

Snarky

1 hour ago, aethereal said:

You can replace the "glowie sound" file with a louder version of the sound file, which will have the effect that you want.  You have to do it as a process of replacing the sound file, not, like, through an in-game control.

oh man, i have an urge to replace it with a short recording of unhinged yelling/screaming - would be hilarious

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MoonSheep said:

oh man, i have an urge to replace it with a short recording of unhinged yelling/screaming - would be hilarious

I cannot do that.  Then I could not tell it from the normal noises in the crypt/dungeon

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later

I replaced mine with a pack of laughing hyenas.

Deep in the Guides thread, there is a post that someone attached louder versions of glowies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:18 PM, aethereal said:

You can replace the "glowie sound" file with a louder version of the sound file, which will have the effect that you want.  You have to do it as a process of replacing the sound file, not, like, through an in-game control.

I did this however its difficult to get a good volume without the sound distorting.

35 minutes ago, roleki said:

Question: do modded sounds get louder as you get near them, the way the default glowie sound does?

I can confirm this with the extra loud sound I installed through the modder (not sure which one, as I'm not at my home computer to check).

I use the sound mod "Loud Glowie". 2 things tho, because it's louder it can sometimes be difficult to tell exactly where it's coming from. I mean, it does get louder as you get closer, but there seems to be a threshold where it won't get any louder within X number of feet, and sometimes you gotta hunt for it. Second thing, although it's louder you don't hear it from a greater distance. So if the normal effect can't be heard unless you're within 30 feet, neither can the boosted one. But overall I think it's an improvement.

If you want to use your own sound file, name it "objective_loop.ogg" and put it in the "Homecoming\data\sound\ogg\frontend" folder

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

Second thing, although it's louder you don't hear it from a greater distance. So if the normal effect can't be heard unless you're within 30 feet, neither can the boosted one.

IIRC, the volume scaling for the glowie sound is a distance function built into the code that specifies the distance at which the glowie sound will have zero volume -- the code doesn't know how loud the glowie sound is, so it can't do a 'reduce volume by N dB for every 10 feet of distance' function that would allow louder glowie sounds to be heard further away, just fast conversions on full volume to zero based on how far away the original devs wanted glowies to be heard.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

IIRC, the volume scaling for the glowie sound is a distance function built into the code that specifies the distance at which the glowie sound will have zero volume -- the code doesn't know how loud the glowie sound is, so it can't do a 'reduce volume by N dB for every 10 feet of distance' function that would allow louder glowie sounds to be heard further away, just fast conversions on full volume to zero based on how far away the original devs wanted glowies to be heard.

Right, cause all it knows is "when you're X feet from glowie play sound at X% of max volume and increase that volume every X# of feet until max volume is reached". The game has no idea how loud or soft the sound effect is. I remember when the game first came out the sound effect was different than it is now, tho honestly I can't remember what it sounded like. It's been too long.

It's something that's always inherently irked me, that there isn't some kind of directional visual marker for those who are hearing impaired. You can easily play the game without much trouble with the sound off, but if you have to find a glowie you're gonna have a hard time if you can't hear. At the very least if you're close enough to trigger the sound effect they should show up on the map and/or the nav bar.

Edited by Captain Fabulous

I refuse to acknowledge that other folks have glowie sounds other than a loop of the chorus of 'Peg' by Steely Dan. Not remembering how to make them do that off the top of my head is one of the main reasons I've yet to install CoX on my new rig.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

I refuse to acknowledge that other folks have glowie sounds other than a loop of the chorus of 'Peg' by Steely Dan. Not remembering how to make them do that off the top of my head is one of the main reasons I've yet to install CoX on my new rig.

Make an OGG file of the bit of the song you want, name it "objective_loop.ogg" and put it in the "Homecoming\data\sound\ogg\frontend" folder

• Thumbs Up 2

+1 for the annoying submarine ping mod.

It's responsible for my newfound ability to find the damn things.

Downside is, I tend to rudely grab glowies even on other people's missions, just to stop the damn pings!

Also, and apropos the differently-hearing discussion, is there some reason glowies don't... glow?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)