So apparently Homecoming is only the 7th most popular server

Venture

Popular by the vote on that page. Ergo votes garnered by publicity. I just voted for Homecoming and moved it from 5th to 4th. But internet votes mean nothing.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I had never heard about it until yesterday, so when I did, I voted for Homecoming.  I'm sure many others playing here had not heard about it either.  It seems like something intentionally designed to make it look like Homecoming is actually the least popular, to persuade new players who wouldn't know better to go other servers instead.  If so, I don't care for the tactic, and hopefully anyone who falls for it will realize the truth fairly quick.

What was no more, is REBORN!

My first thought is: why should I care?

My second thought is: Good.  If we stay under the radar maybe we won't poke the beast.

My third though is: Great.  That means that there is less chance of high server load and log in queues.

I had never heard about it until yesterday, so when I did, I voted for Homecoming.  I'm sure many others playing here had not heard about it either.  It seems like something intentionally designed to make it look like Homecoming is actually the least popular, to persuade new players who wouldn't know better to go other servers instead.  If so, I don't care for the tactic, and hopefully anyone who falls for it will realize the truth fairly quick.

Most of what I see from the other servers seems to be entirely meant to disparage homecoming and knock it’s players. A lot of it is passive aggressive. Some of it is just straight up false like people claiming it’s a dead end. This appears to be in hopes of gaining more population. I however love homecoming and have no interest in the other servers. Pretty sure homecoming is far and away the absolute most populated server. Probably several more times than all others combined. So the other servers honestly appear to be jealous and are resorting to petty means.

Most of what I see from the other servers seems to be entirely meant to disparage homecoming and knock it’s players. A lot of it is passive aggressive. Some of it is just straight up false like people claiming it’s a dead end. This appears to be in hopes of gaining more population. I however love homecoming and have no interest in the other servers. Pretty sure homecoming is far and away the absolute most populated server. Probably several more times than all others combined. So the other servers honestly appear to be jealous and are resorting to petty means.

I have seen less of this lately, but I too have seen straight up lies and misinformation, like the ranting about this codebase being somehow magically 'dead-end' when code does not quite work that way. :)

I totally get that some people think anything other than what the _official_ developers put in the game is sacrosant and all else is player made crap, but that is nothing more than an opinion, it is not some statement of fact.

Most of the player complaints about new/changed game content has been proven to be wrong anyway - the players simply forgot what went in when - and most of the things I see complained about were in or are in 'i24' at pretty much every turn.

IMO, the petty CoH crowd has always been around and now they are pissed off that some portion of the players running the secret are involved in HC and should be punished.

Thankfully, what they think of as punishment is awesome for the rest of us - they took thier ball and went elsewhere.

It really has been, since the secret server reveal, like watching a bunch of school kids on the playground argue over who gets to touch the ball now.

Funny and sad, all at once.

I totally get that some people think anything other than what the _official_ developers put in the game is sacrosant and all else is player made crap, but that is nothing more than an opinion, it is not some statement of fact.

The funniest part of that argument? A large portion of those espousing it are at the same time working towards their OWN new version of the game. So, what makes their "new version" better than SCoRE's new version? And isn't it hypocritical to state that there shouldn't be any modifications to what the original Paragon Studios/NCSoft/Cryptic devs did, and then go on to make your own modifications at the same time?

I'm out.

The funniest part of that argument? A large portion of those espousing it are at the same time working towards their OWN new version of the game. So, what makes their "new version" better than SCoRE's new version? And isn't it hypocritical to state that there shouldn't be any modifications to what the original Paragon Studios/NCSoft/Cryptic devs did, and then go on to make your own modifications at the same time?

Now don't you be bringing that Logic in here again, we have talked about this....

:)

I have seen less of this lately, but I too have seen straight up lies and misinformation, like the ranting about this codebase being somehow magically 'dead-end' when code does not quite work that way. :)

Most of the player complaints about new/changed game content has been proven to be wrong anyway - the players simply forgot what went in when - and most of the things I see complained about were in or are in 'i24' at pretty much every turn.

IMO, the petty CoH crowd has always been around and now they are pissed off that some portion of the players running the secret are involved in HC and should be punished.

Thankfully, what they think of as punishment is awesome for the rest of us - they took thier ball and went elsewhere.

It really has been, since the secret server reveal, like watching a bunch of school kids on the playground argue over who gets to touch the ball now.

Funny and sad, all at once.

I honestly think that all the rage over the secret private server wasn’t really justified. I’m not saying all would have, but I bet many of the ragers would have gladly accepted and invite to it and kept the secret if it was how they could play.

Plus, in the end that is how the game survived and how the public can play now. Sure it took a long time. But anything other than gratitude is not really warranted.

Because homecoming is evil and [insert righteous server here] is a divine gift to all players everywhere. Except the people who play homecoming. They are just lost heretics who must be saved.

Plus, in the end that is how the game survived and how the public can play now. Sure it took a long time. But anything other than gratitude is not really warranted.

I play a lot of games.

One of them is Battletech.

Been a player since it came on the market in the '80s, on and off.

There are grognards that _still_ argue over minutae that has not changed in decades.

And don't mean polite discussions, I am talking salt the earth with anyone that dares to disgree types of things.

I cannot even stand the official forums for the latest game because these grognards rule the roost, nothing is ever right, good enough, or 'in lore' enough, evar, only the 'original written word' is right, except when they don't like it...

My point is that some people absolutely thrive on totally useless/baseless drama for the sake of drama.

Gamers seem especially vulnerble to this, IME.

I think the hate gives them purpose, personally.

Yeah, as for the secret server... I was just pissed that I wasn't invited...  :'(

I got off so lucky. I found out about the secret server right when Homecoming came up and became available. So my feelings of disappointment that I couldn't play were COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY drowned out by the feeling of excitement, nostalgia, and joy of being able to play again.

If I had found out about the secret server before Homecoming spun up the servers, I might have been pissed or disappointed; but since I can play right now, I'm happy and thankful for that and don't really care about what happened in the past that I can't change.

I play a lot of games.

One of them is Battletech.

Been a player since it came on the market in the '80s, on and off.

There are grognards that _still_ argue over minutae that has not changed in decades.

And don't mean polite discussions, I am talking salt the earth with anyone that dares to disgree types of things.

I cannot even stand the official forums for the latest game because these grognards rule the roost, nothing is ever right, good enough, or 'in lore' enough, evar, only the 'original written word' is right, except when they don't like it...

My point is that some people absolutely thrive on totally useless/baseless drama for the sake of drama.

Gamers seem especially vulnerble to this, IME.

I think the hate gives them purpose, personally.

I agree with you. I think a lot of people thrive on drama. I myself like good forum debates. Though I think that sometimes the line between a good debate and baseless drama is fuzzy.

QFT. Pretty much the only major (maybe even the only at all) thing I've seen '125 haters' complain about that wasn't part of I24 or even earlier, has been the Sentinel AT, and mostly those complaints are misguided in other ways (claiming that it's OP, or that it's too weak - seriously, it can't be both, and from what I've seen it's not really either one anyway).