Any news on phase 2 of naming policy?

Parthenon

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't understand your term "no opportunity cost".

1. If you want to keep your level 50 on Excelsior and you only get 8 slots, you can’t make a new toon in that occupied slot, unless you make a new account. But in the current 1,000-slots-per-shard model, that 50 is not likely to be crowding out any of your potential future toons on Excelsior.
  2. In the current no-fee model there is also no penalty for making a second or third account. You could take 3,000 slots on Excelsior if you were bored enough and it wouldn’t cost you anything.

I am in favor of releasing names for level 50s under the same terms as non-players (because at least for the moment the distinction cannot be made).

I’ll say again that the PL part doesn’t bother me, and I think could divert the debate into an argument about PLing instead of staying on topic. I know you’ve replied to this already, but I’ll further note that if we had fewer slots, there would be less PLing, because there wouldn’t be unlimited slots to place those characters.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

7 minutes ago, ZemX said:

... and is then upset that "Face Puncher Emeritus" is taken?!

I'll show myself out... 🤪

See second bullet point. It cannot be taken but there could be two Face Puncher Emeritus running around.

Look at DC and the Flash character. Just how many are there?

11 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

It's not my definition, I lifted it word-for-word from Forbes.

Thanks for providing it. It was not in my lexicon of known terms. I didn't know if it meant something specific to the person that was using the term.

11 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

But as I already said upthread, I don't feel so vehemently about that, that I'm going to get upset over it. If it were up to me, 50s wouldn't be immune. But it's not, so... shrugging emoji.

I'm not going to quit playing Homecoming if the 50's are still immune to the name release policy.

I am, however, very solid on my stance and, hopefully, the DEVs will take that into consideration ... and that fact that others like you feel that 50's shouldn't be immune to the name release policy either.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

21 minutes ago, MHertz said:

I’ll say again that the PL part doesn’t bother me, and I think could divert the debate into an argument about PLing instead of staying on topic. I know you’ve replied to this already, but I’ll further note that if we had fewer slots, there would be less PLing, because there wouldn’t be unlimited slots to place those characters.

You have no way of determining how much PLing there would be. People might very well strip their 50s, save the resources, then make and PL new characters. Stripping the resources from old one you are forced to delete in fact makes it easier to get the new 50 up and going. And you've incentivized stripping because in order to have the new character and old one had to be deleted and you might as well get something out of it. 

9 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Personally (and taking off my GM hat for a minute) I think it's a reasonable compromise. You can argue people have reduced the cachet of having an incarnated level 50 with farming, but people play how they play and if they are having fun and it's not hurting anyone else then that's their choice. I play how I play, which is mostly solo but team for the occasional iTrial or raid, and I'm not hurting anyone either. Alts under level 50 that get played at least occasionally will be safe. Level 50's will always be safe. Those 300 level 1's you made because you didn't want anyone else to have that name and will never use aren't safe. If you want to keep them you'll have to log them in very regularly, and that's going to get old very quickly.

The hurt is imposing a penalty on those that are below level 50 by making them log in all their characters.

I will and always have logged in all my characters before a  year passes. At this point, I go through every week and check to see which characters heading on 60 days (really 40 days at this point) and logging them in at least just for the log in . 

I have at least 141 characters at this point. I think I have made at least 1 or two more since last updating my spreadsheet.

I'm not parking any characters at level 1. The lowest level characters I have are at level 14 at this point.

If I go to join a team with people I don't know, I try to figure out the genre of the team leader by their name and try to match that to the character that I'm picking to play in the team.

Sometimes I'm pairing up a character with someone that is less of an alt-jumper than I am. So I play the same character with them over long periods of time.

Otherwise, I'm just like ... oh, I haven't played that character for a long time .. or I want to play x type of character.

What isn't addressed here about the policy is why level 50's will be able to be sat on a shelf, forgotten about, and are immune to being renamed, when those characters below level 50 have to be logged in in order to retain names.

You indicate it is a matter of playstyles. My playstyle precludes 50's. The few 50's I have are the least played characters that I have. There is no reason that those characters should be immune to being renamed when my sub 50's are not.

9 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Getting to 50 even without farming isn't that hard now. With double XP, recipes, salvage, enhancements etc being reasonably priced, and purples being really common you can totally buff your character way past the difficulty. On live it was hard as most people couldn't afford more than a set or two. Now everyone can have as many purple recipes as they wish and can frankenbuild to the last fraction of a percent. People can work towards a build instead of just dreaming of it. We aren't stuck with 10 alts and that's all we get. 

And here you clearly have stated why 50's are nothing special these days. 

Which is pretty much my point as to why 50's shouldn't be immune to the renaming process.

There seems to be no reason that characters over 50 should be immune other than legacy reasons in the renaming policy at this point.

Because 50's are no longer something "special" then I feel that they should not be immune to the system.

In addition to that, if we are concerned about name campers, the name campers will simply camp names by AE-afk-doorsitting to 50. They will do it multiboxing with 8x and filling teams with the characters names they want to hoard/squad.

The people that want to hoard/squad will be protected by making 50's immune to the renaming process. Players that actually are playing their characters that aren't level 50 will be punished because the name hoarders. (not me. I'll be login in my characters regardless because I care about them ... even the 50's that are way back on the back burner)

Edited by UltraAlt

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

11 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm not parking any characters at level 1. The lowest level characters I have are at level 14 at this point.

I have one character that I've left below level 10, for a purely mechanical reason -- the elf in the ski chalet sells the Winter's Gift recipes for candy canes, but the recipes are set at the level of the character buying the recipe. Shuffling my canes to a level 8 character ensures that the 20% Slow resistance proc recipes are at the set minimum of 10, maximizing the level range over which the enhancement can be slotted.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I have one character that I've left below level 10, for a purely mechanical reason -- the elf in the ski chalet sells the Winter's Gift recipes for candy canes, but the recipes are set at the level of the character buying the recipe. Shuffling my canes to a level 8 character ensures that the 20% Slow resistance proc recipes are at the set minimum of 10, maximizing the level range over which the enhancement can be slotted.

Makes sense to me.

Maybe I should have thought of that before leveling up my Christmas Elf character(s).

34 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Can't you just buy the attuned version of the proc, and slot it at the minimum level?

36 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

Can't you just buy the attuned version of the proc, and slot it at the minimum level?

Some of us have more catalysts than we know what to do with/bother to sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apropos of nothing, I check some of my 50's names across servers:

Created 1/15/2021 : Used on one other server

Created 1/29/2021: Used on three other servers

Created 8/6/2021: Used on three other servers

Created 11/27/2021: Used on no other servers

Created 10/17/2021: Used on three other servers

Created 11/10/2019: Used on three other servers

Created 2/26/2021: Used on two other servers (wow...figured it would be use more than the previous one)

Created 10/13/2021: Used on two other servers

Created 4/24/2019: Used on all servers

Most common server to see name open on: Indominatble

Least common server to see name open on: Excalibur and Excelsior differ by one, going to call that a tie.

Will also mention that with the exception of the last character, all the characters had been logged in within the last 60 days, most in the last 30 days. Though to be fair, theese were my page one characters (except the last). there are older 50s with far greater last login ages. Hmmm...let me check them....

408 days offline: Used on no other servers

693 days offline: Used on no other servers

420 days offline: Used on all servers

Edited by Erratic1