Focused Feedback: Storm Blast

On 4/11/2023 at 11:09 AM, UltraAlt said:

Makes sense to add a little more color to the set.

Color tinting can helps a lot, but I don't know if color tinting will affect Storm Cell's lightning.

oh, please. not "more white". The white fx and all white characters hurt my eyes. 

But you can use color tinting to change the color of your powers.

I can use /noparticles 1 to get rid of the SFX and that helps a lot, but I like to see the SFX, so please avoid white power SFX.

*** Other SFX stuff ****

I agree that it can be a bit hard to see where Storm Cell is located - especially if you have Steamy Mist up.

Color tinting seems to able to compensate for this, but I have no idea how many players color tint their powers from the-get-go. 

So perhaps color tinting the area of the Storm Cell fx that is at ground level would help better define its location for players that are having issues with that now.

Good point with the white FX. Maybe instead more gray like Steamy Mist or Tornado?

• Thumbs Up 1

Level 20 Sentinel Storm/Electric

Team-up duo police missions +2/1

So far, leveling up this one without jet stream.

The Duo gelled about halfway through the first mission. 

My Sentinel needed to rely on O2 from storm/storm defender teammate during the two missions that we ran. I think that was possibly more due to running with someone else versus a weakness in the sentinel armor and ability to withstand damage at level 20.

Started using the tactic of trying to take turns casting Storm Cell (I keep wanting to call it "Storm Front" for some reason) with the other player. Only minorly successful in implementation.

Level 20 Corruptor Storm/Storm

Team-up duo police missions +2/1

Starting to run into the Storm/Storm defender issue of having so much stuff going on in general and graphically that it is hard to tell what to use in what situation some times. Complicated by fighting in the dreaded "purple cave" maps.

Because it was cave maps and because the other player had hurricane and was using various knockbacks as well, I was having a hard time penning in enemies the way that I normally would.

In both cases, I tried to see if I saw my  powers getting buffed from the other player's Storm Cell. I honestly can't tell. I'm assuming based on the wording in the power description that anyone Storm Front will "charge" any Storm attacks used on targets within anyone's Storm Front.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

12 hours ago, Spectre7878 said:

How are people slotting storm cell?

I did all the Overwhelming Force set except the End/Rech, and then one 50+5 Rech IO.

I was chasing Defense, but the OF proc seems to fire a LOT when you’re spamming Storm attacks.  If you don’t care about set bonuses, just the OF proc is worth it.  I’d max Recharge best you can, and add some End Redux.

A bit late to the party, but I'll add another perspective on SB. Caveat, I was mostly just testing one of the story arcs so I was playing on +0x0. Not gonna offer any opinions how it performs in the current "meta" 😛 This is on a level 40 sentinel with mostly basic IOs.

Overall, I think the set is good and one that I would play if it were released live. I like the synergy with storm cell and the variety of effects makes it feel truly unique in the current offering of blast sets.  That said, there are a few flaws, so it could definitely be better.

Gust/Hailstones - these 2 pretty much serve their purpose as basic attacks. Only complaint I have is the sfx/vfx feel a bit weak (even with them set to bright with red/blue colouring, they were really hard to see). I tend to like sets where a hit on an enemy feels like it has a real impact. I do love that Gust has -fly - it comes up rarely, but really useful for certain enemy types that like to soar all over the place. I'd love to see -fly in Storm Cell as well, I think it makes sense and would just be a nice cherry on top.

Jet Stream - Mostly same issue as previous 2, vfx/sfx feels a bit weak, but at least the after-effect of repel/KB is more visible so it doesn't feel quite as bad. I know the repel has been a topic of debate; while soloing it was small enough it didn't bother me (also I had storm cell up 90% of the time or so), but I could see it being a minor annoyance in teams.

Storm Cell - Like a lot of others here, this is the one part of the set that really feels a bit off somehow. I think I understand the intent, and having a lot of powers synergize with it does feel cool. I think the weird part is having it function like a pet - it's a bit difficult to get it into the right position after initial cast, and it follows you way too slow to actually drag it from group to group. It was just easier to recast as often as possible. I think personally I'd prefer it if it were a ground-targeted aoe with a shorter duration/faster recharge so I could just put it where I want each time. But I'll leave people savvier in systems design to debate that.

Intensify - Does what it says on the tin, no real issues. Though due to the long wind up / DoT centricity of this set, an aim power feels somehow less useful in this set?

Lightning Strike - love this one, calling down lightning bolts on people's heads feels so satisfying. I kinda wish it were a lower tier power so I could spam it more 😛

Chain Lightning - similar to lightning strike, the vfx/sfx are satisfying here, and it's effective. I will say, having -End on only two powers in this set seems kind of pointless since you usually have to stack a lot of -End to really do anything. But it's on-theme for electricity powers 🤷‍♀️

Cloudburst - goofy, but I dig it. DoT feels powerful enough, so it's fine. I did notice it seems in some situations the vfx for the cloud and the rain can get separated from each other which looks odd (I think caused by enemies running around in the middle of my cast?)

Category Five - This one is close to being really good. Not like a typical nuke, but once it gets going inside a storm cell, the damage is definitely good. I just wish it had less of a wind up. I feel like in a team setting, everything will be dead to other people's instant AoEs long before it has a chance to get going.

Edited by Taxes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wavicle said:

After reading other comments, while I'd still be interested in testing out this proposed version, I think the real solution to people's complaints is not to alter the recharge at all from where it currently is, but instead to make the pet better at keeping up with you.

This is a big part of it, it's already annoying when I wait for creepers to pop up ok the next mob, and I was already waiting a lot testing this for storm cell from mob to mob. I think it would help at least giving it the speed cap, but there is usually still that "ok It finally GOT to the mob, but now it has to take a second for the ai to choose a target and get to that target"

I just don't see any logical reason for the devs to be so stubborn on this for how crucial it is for the set to work properly. Just 45rech/60sdur the power as immobile (tweaking cast/end) and be done with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

Storm Cell following me does nothing because I need it in front of me where the enemies are.

When it is following you, it acts like a slow moving hurricane.

It centers on you if you stand still, so it isn't behind but, instead, around you unless you run away from it.

Ways to keep Storm Cell on enemies once summoned;

1) Pen in enemies and stay close

2) move quickly around or teleport to the other side of a mob to drag the storm front into the mob.

3) Back away around the corner from the enemy and force them to the corner and into your Storm cell.

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Ways to keep Storm Cell on enemies once summoned;

1) Pen in enemies and stay close

2) move quickly around or teleport to the other side of a mob to drag the storm front into the mob.

3) Back away around the corner from the enemy and force them to the corner and into your Storm cell.

4. Play a set that doesn't require a janky workaround to a problem that didn't need to exist in the first place, just to achieve basic functionality.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

40 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

4. Play a set that doesn't require a janky workaround to a problem that didn't need to exist in the first place, just to achieve basic functionality.

So I guess you are saying that Phantom Army is janky as well.

It has played the same way since release.

3 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Out of curiously, has anyone tried content without using Storm Cell specifically to see if theres a *massive* difference?

The most significant difference solo is things scatter more and low health strays may escape more often. 

It's not a crippling issue if you have to gun it before cell is ready.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

So I guess you are saying that Phantom Army is janky as well.

It has played the same way since release.

Illusion isn't built around the idea that the other powers in the set are deliberately hamstringed when used against stuff not aggroed by Phantom Army.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Out of curiously, has anyone tried content without using Storm Cell specifically to see if theres a *massive* difference?

I have, it's VERY anemic, and gets a lot more problems with jet stream. Especially since doing so WOULD require the kb-kd for sure then, and for some super dumb reason doing so instead of converting the kb-kd and removing the repel, it also completely removes any knockdown it does too leaving you with practically no mob control.

This is where the original problem with jet stream was. If it was kb (or kd with converter) with no repel then it would be usable outside of Storm cell,

Which is why storm cell is SO crucial and needs to be fixed so we can always have it where and when we need it., if not then I'd go way back to jet stream needing fixed.

Tbh regardless of what happens to Storm Cell, they need to fix the kb-kd in jet stream removing it's knock, it needs to keep that knock and covert it to knockdown while removing the repel if you slot one.

This is precisely where that was such a big issue before, especially as it's your only group mitigation if you don't have Storm Cell up. Jet stream ONLY works with storm cell unless they do (and should) fix it to still have its knockdown when you use a kb-kd.

Edit: Seriously Jetstream is a lose-lose without storm cell, can't use it to attack with due to the repel, and thus needing a kb-kd, but then it does no knock at all, and you're left completely defenseless.. So again, regardless, Jet stream needs fixed so a kb-kd changes the knockback to knockdown, NOT remove it (just the repel gets removed)

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

Illusion isn't built around the idea that the other powers in the set are deliberately hamstringed when used against stuff not aggroed by Phantom Army.

Looking at the set, I wouldnt say its hamstringed given the core blast powers all seem decent on their own. As @ScarySai mentioned there may be a bit more stragglers or spread but it doesnt seem "detrimental" if its not up.

Aside from the lightning, it seems only Gust gets a direct *offensive* boost when a target is inside your Storm as is... may be worth a run in the mission sim with and without to see how big the gap is.

22 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

neither is Storm. 

the Procs from Cell are a bonus, if they’re occasionally missing it’s not that big a deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Looking at the set, I wouldnt say its hamstringed given the core blast powers all seem decent on their own. As @ScarySai mentioned there may be a bit more stragglers or spread but it doesnt seem "detrimental" if its not up.

Aside from the lightning, it seems only Gust gets a direct *offensive* boost when a target is inside your Storm as is... may be worth a run in the mission sim with and without to see how big the gap is.

Illusion is most definitley hamstringed on it. It's easily the worst control set otherwise. The only other thing it has is spectral terror which is nice but not any full lockdown, and the aoe holds, well every set has the same issue of the too long of recharge, and still for some odd reason a lower base accuracy too. Flash is also the worst of them needing you to be in melee AND taking 3 seconds to cast of and actually effect the mobs. Illusion has WHOLLY been centered around phantom army since I can remember.

And you'll really notice what i said above if you do, that's the problem. Pretty much WHY the set only works with storm cell.

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

neither is Storm. 

the Procs from Cell are a bonus, if they’re occasionally missing it’s not that big a deal.

It is, again mainly due to the jet stream issue. Can't effectively use it as is due to the repel, and for the dumbest reason that it's knockdown disappears if you use a kb-kd. They NEED to fix the power so that a kb-kd only removes the repel, and turns the knockback into knockdown.

That, or fix storm cell as suggested so it's recharge is much lower so we can cast and place it at will. Otherwise as is, it's just too big of an issue one way or the other.

Here's an idea that would actually help: Reduce the cast time of category five and storm cell.

If you do that without adding some weird unnecessary nerf, because in your minds every buff has to warrant a nerf to counteract it for some reason, a lot of problems people have with setup will be dealt with.

• Like 3

I think the cast time on storm cell is too long and the range is too short.

1.17 sec and 80ft is going to play a lot better for a power that many users will try to have up on nearly every spawn.

The pre-blast tax + backloaded dot damage is extremely underwhelming on any quick moving team.

Compared to a previously underwhelming set, a Psy blaster can get out psy nado and psi darts in nearly the same time as you put down storm cell. And then psi wail deletes the spawn before you've even finished casting category 5. 

So ya, a psy blaster gets out 370 base aoe damage before the first tick of category 5 starts.

It is fine to be more solo/slow team focused, but storm blast is currently double punished on teams.

I mostly solo, so not a huge issue for me personally.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Here's an idea that would actually help: Reduce the cast time of category five and storm cell.

If you do that without adding some weird unnecessary nerf, because in your minds every buff has to warrant a nerf to counteract it for some reason, a lot of problems people have with setup will be dealt with.

I would generally agree with you, but that change, with nothing else,really doesn't do anyting to help the set much. cat 5 aka maelstrom/tempest i hope lol, well its' a nuke so 2s isn't huge really, the issue is it not doing much up front but tolerable if the main issues with the set are fixed.

And storm cell, yeah regardless I'd advise a faster cast time I'm with you on that, but especially faster with it being self-placed shorter recharge instead of the funky slow-follow pseudopet issue.

10 minutes ago, Thrax said:

I don't care if it is great or bad, but man, the snipe is SUPER FUN AND AWESOME.

Real and true.

If they ditch that borderline memeworthy proposal they made last night and ship the set, it will be in a pretty good spot.

10 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Real and true.

If they ditch that borderline memeworthy proposal they made last night and ship the set, it will be in a pretty good spot.

And if oddly not fixing storm cell, then at least fix jet stream to do KD with a kb-kd, not remove the knock, at leats one or the other must be true

28 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

And if oddly not fixing storm cell, then at least fix jet stream to do KD with a kb-kd, not remove the knock, at leats one or the other must be true

This is technically not a problem. Jet stream only knocks things that are in storm cell by design, so when you remove the repel for whatever reason, there's nothing to convert to a knockdown.

I wouldn't bet on it changing, either way. I bet the deadline is soon.

Edited by ScarySai

4 hours ago, Wavicle said:

neither is Storm. 

Not sure that's true. The set doesn't have a targeted AoE like basically all other sets; the chain power is nice but less reliable (and some sets have all that and more). And the nuke takes a while to ramp up. The set's AoE lacks in general and Storm Cell only brings it up to par at best.

• Like 1