Whoever cornered the market

cronus

I'm not sure if you are referring to something else, but someone has been maintaining a pretty tight market on the proc for years.  Bidding in the low 3s and offering at or near 4.  It's super useful for all of us who want and need the procs to know there is reasonably priced supply available, and if you make them it's nice to know there is also a good bid out there for your product.  It's marginally profitable, but I would guess it requires a lot of daily maintenance.

Who run Bartertown?

I  have two kids under 4 years old, so I'm not able to log in as much as I'd like.

I hadn't noticed that someone was doing that, I just noticed the other night when it was at 0 supply and then went to like 148 or something.

I would imagine that amount of crafting and posting would drive me mildly insane(er).

I think that whoever has made this their work is doing a good and generous thing.  Listen, I provide plenty of product, but I'm generally going to manage a healthy profit out of it.  Whoever has been managing this niche has been providing a really important service pretty much at break-even levels.  A hero marketer, who'd have thunk it?

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

25 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I think that whoever has made this their work is doing a good and generous thing.  Listen, I provide plenty of product, but I'm generally going to manage a healthy profit out of it.  Whoever has been managing this niche has been providing a really important service pretty much at break-even levels.  A hero marketer, who'd have thunk it?

I'm in agreement. Because of the nature of this particular %proc, I have a small supply stashed at the SG base, but the typical price (attuned, on the market) is perfectly reasonable. It's not a trivial set/piece to roulette into, but the supply I keep is entirely from RNG. The extras go into the AH, and if someone is pulling a slight profit off of what I dump, more power to them. I suspect this individual is also helping keep the prices of the less interesting EndMod sets afloat. The new HC sets aren't bad, but a player has to lean pretty hard into certain power sets for 5/6-piece sets of them to be really good options. I think I've only got two characters that do so.

I tried that with Perfect Zinger . . . had to file Chapter 11.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Someone's cornering the market on PVP IOs by constantly bidding up all the recipe bids in increments of like 300K -- to the point where they've taken the craft-n-sell margin down from 60%+ to maybe 35%-40% now.  That's a lot of bidding across all PVP IOs during weeks, so I assume they have deep pockets and don't really care about margin (e.g. rather than up bids from say 2,000,000 to 2,000,010 like normal people, they jump to 2,300,000 to squeeze people out, then when you go to 2,300,001 they go to 2,600,000).  It's working for me, as having to sell 2x as many IOs to get the same profit kind of takes the fun out.  Quite a few players have the resources to do so.

Edited by brasilgringo

9 hours ago, The Robin Hood Initiative said:

Doesn't it take a lot of money to corner a market?

It does, but "a lot" is a relative term.

There are people playing who have multiple billions of influence, and they are able to use it in ways that a plebian like myself would never even think of...

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, The Robin Hood Initiative said:

Depends if some one else as rich or richer then you also is trying to corner the market as well. But no you can often choose one thing corner the market in it get everyone to leave it alone then make it just your to profit on for a billion or two

On 4/23/2023 at 11:05 AM, cronus said:

It does, but "a lot" is a relative term.

There are people playing who have multiple billions of influence, and they are able to use it in ways that a plebian like myself would never even think of...

Very relative.  Even I have multiple billions.  Back on live I had tens of billions (about 60).  There are players with hundreds of billions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 4/23/2023 at 1:10 AM, The Robin Hood Initiative said:

I'm going to arbitrarily distinguish between cornering a market (which I would consider controlling a market and making a profit) and manipulating a market (which I'd consider changing the price points for a short- or even intermediate- term period of time, and profit is not a concern.

It's really easy and low-cost to manipulate a market.  Let's look at common salvage.  If you want to set the minimum price of common salvage at 5,000 (half the seeded value and significantly higher than it trades now), that's easy.  Take one of your lvl 50 characters and bid 5,000 on 200 sets of ten (assuming you have 200 market slots on that one character).  That costs you 10mm inf, which is a trivial amount of money if you have a 50.  Not a single inanimate carbon rod will trade for less than 5,000 inf for as long as your bids are still active.  Now, the problem is that you are soon going to own 2,000 pieces of salvage, and good luck to you trying to sell it for more than 5,555 inf a piece (which is your break even point).

Cornering a market is difficult and time intensive, and for most things impossible.  Let's say I wanted to set the price of Trap of the Hunter procs at 10mm.  First, I would have to buy up all those in the /AH for less than my target price.  That's not hard.  But now I have to defend the market and put in bids for what I want the minimum price to be.  Now it's a question of supply and demand.  The demand is limited to those who want to buy a TotH proc NAO.  The supply is limited to those who get TotH proc recipes and craft them, to those with other TotH recipes and IOs and are willing to convert them into the proc, to those with other Immobilize recipes or IOs from level 20-50 and are willing to convert them to the set and then the proc, to those with other IO recipes or IOs, uncommon or rare, and are willing to convert them into the category, the set, and the piece, to those who are willing to swap merits for recipes, etc., etc.  The supply is in theory unlimited, thank you converters and pooling.

Now there are some things in the /AH that are harder to create than others (and some you can't create them at all), but for the most part, cornering a market requires putting in a lot of effort and making your profit margin so small (or negative!) that no other budding capitalist wants to make a profit or even wants to rain on your parade.

Who run Bartertown?

47 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

Isn't there a lot of Dev involvement in the market? 

Salvage was seeded by the devs. I don't recall if anything else like converters or boosters were seeded.

In the past, the prices of the Winter packs was lowered for a short time, but that is no more.

What you see in the market today is pretty much the result of actions and choices by player base.

• 1 month later

RISE, my minion, RIIIIISE!!!
thread-necromancy_zpslduenrqk.png
 Thread necro  because OMG look, they've gone and cornered  Efficacy Adaptor (End Mod)  recipes now. Look at that... 3396 for sale ... holy crap, they must have a lot of characters to hold all those. 

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

We calling it product now?

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!