Next Defender: Poison/???

smnolimits43

The cones don't have a lot of synergy, but if you want the maximum -res, Sonic (it can do 85% with a single stack). My Poison/Sonic does nasty things to hard targets.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I use a poison/rad def, a fire/poison corruptor, and a electric control/poison troller.

Poison is a very versatile powerset and it's great that you only really need 3 (maybe 4 with poison trap as well) powers that are absolutely necessary. And they don't require much for slotting so it gives you a ton of flexibility for your other set and pool powers.

5 minutes ago, smnolimits43 said:

The problem i'm having right now is Accuracy

Defenders get the greatest benefit out of tactics, which is tohit instead of just an acc buff, AND it benefits your entire team.  It can be a costly toggle to run, but provides a huge benefit.

14 minutes ago, smnolimits43 said:

The problem i'm having right now is Accuracy

Silly question, but, are you slotting for accuracy?  A single Accuracy SO (or 30+ IO) will get you to 95% chance to hit against +0s.  And that's before the defense debuff in Venomous Gas (which I think is auto hit).

Maneuvers/Assault and Tactics is another good choice, as biostem said, though poison can be a bit end heavy, so running two of those toggles can hurt the blue bar, but hey, two leadership picks means you can get Vengeance!

What this team needs is more Defenders

Toot me own horn!

I love my poison/fire/psy def.

Poison Guide - a guide to the most deadly poisons

If I were to pick a runner up I'd look at poison/seismic. Empowered stalag is impressive and the seismic waves mesh really well with venomous gas.

Poison/Psi is also looking good with the recent Psi changes.

Slotted well the defender ATO's provide a lot of healing and absorb.

• Like 1

I've been running poison/storm and with some basic slotting in the 30s it's a pretty sold defender.  Storm Cell actually has a -ToHit baked in which goes nicely with poisons various -ToHit debuffs.

I've been playing this defender aggressively in melee and didn't take Jet Stream (the cone) and so far it works out quite well.

• 1 month later

I just love my Poison/Fire - Dark Mastery.

A good Poison build excels on cheats...This is the way.
-3x p2w buffs

-Heavy supply of Impenetrable and... A Phenomenal amount of luck on you ur side (/ah <3)
-PROC 2 WIN - my favorite procs - OW Force in fire ball and Rag (5pc) in rain of fire- Pop corn...

-All the tp binds

• Like 1

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

On 5/8/2023 at 12:35 AM, smnolimits43 said:

I just leveled a Rad/Fire, and i'm looking to level my next Defender.  I was thinking Poison, but i'm not sure on a secondary.  What would you all suggest ???

I've also been thinking of Elec/Poison Corr. With how HC changed what lvls powers are picked you can really min max your powers on poison with a corr. I would drop weaken on my DEF if i could.

I'd go proc heavy with dmg dealer in mind.

Corruptor - Electrical Blast - Poison.mxd

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch

I would caution you that Poison can die in a big hurry due to the nature of the power set. Eventually, you'll want to be in the thick of things to use your debuff aura. However, you have no status protection. So even with exceptional defenses - which are often tricky to build because you're in melee range - a single bad roll will result in all of your defense toggles and your debuff aura shutting down. Once that happens, you'll generally get smashed.

This is potentially a smaller problem on Controllers since you can (with sufficient recharge) get 100% uptime status protection.

Dual Pistols is a fairly strong set, but it lacks an Aim. This means it is less effective with the ultimate than most Defender secondaries.

While it has its detractors, Poison might be a good pairing with Storm Blast. Due to the nature of Venomous Gas and the position it puts you in, the drawbacks of the Storm Cell are somewhat minimized and the knockdown from the various Storm effects can potentially improve survivability.

Edited by Hjarki

• 3 weeks later
On 5/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

I use a poison/rad def, a fire/poison corruptor, and a electric control/poison troller.

Poison is a very versatile powerset and it's great that you only really need 3 (maybe 4 with poison trap as well) powers that are absolutely necessary. And they don't require much for slotting so it gives you a ton of flexibility for your other set and pool powers.

Starting  avoiding. Which are those?

2 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

Starting  avoiding. Which are those?

Alkaloid:  ST ally heal. Skippable.

Envenom:  8-foot radius AoE -res, -def, -regen, -heal. Primary target receives stronger debuff. Essential.

Weaken:  8-foot radius AoE -dmg, -tohit, -special. Primary target receives stronger debuff. Essential.

Neurotoxic Breath: Cone slow. Works well with %dmg procs. Optional.

Elixir of Life:  ST ally rez. Skippable. Can be used as a mule for any of the %def uniques. Also the most humorous rez in the game (target will vomit after 90 seconds). 

Antidote: ST ally mez protection. Skippable. Can be used as a mule for any of the %def uniques.

Paralytic Poison: ST hold. Can be slotted with %dmg procs. Optional.

Poison Trap: Pulsing AoE hold. Works well with %dmg procs. Essential.

Venomous Gas: PBAoE -res, -def, -dmg, -tohit aura. Essential.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 6/23/2023 at 4:39 PM, Hjarki said:

I would caution you that Poison can die in a big hurry due to the nature of the power set. Eventually, you'll want to be in the thick of things to use your debuff aura. However, you have no status protection. So even with exceptional defenses - which are often tricky to build because you're in melee range - a single role bad will result in all of your defense toggles and your debuff aura shutting down. Once that happens, you'll generally get smashed.

This is potentially a smaller problem on Controllers since you can (with sufficient recharge) get 100% uptime status protection.

Dual Pistols is a fairly strong set, but it lacks an Aim. This means it is less effective with the ultimate than most Defender secondaries.

While it has its detractors, Poison might be a good pairing with Storm Blast. Due to the nature of Venomous Gas and the position it puts you in, the drawbacks of the Storm Cell are somewhat minimized and the knockdown from the various Storm effects can potentially improve survivability.

Just wanted to mention - Venomous Gas is a 15ft radius. I've had good success with it on a ranged defense Hover build. It will hit a surprisingly large number of mobs at range, even if it works best when they're clumped. The only thing to land for is Poison Trap, but with my Beam/Poison build I have something like Overcharge mag 3 stun aoe for safety before landing.

• 1 month later

I have been amazed at the great synergy between Poison/Storm Blast. They cover each other's weaknesses extremely well.

You're always in melee (post Venemous Gas), so the storm follows you around no problem.

Your storm blasts do a fair bit of knockdown, making it safer to be in melee.

Your somewhat weak storm blasts have damage amplified dramatically by your poiton debuffs when in melee.

I found the synergy so nice that I took this toon to 50 and kitted him out, and had not planned to beforehand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 8/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, Gentoo said:

I have been amazed at the great synergy between Poison/Storm Blast. They cover each other's weaknesses extremely well.

I caught another post of yours in another Poison thread about this combo and I just couldn't get it out of my head. Kept thinking about it so I just rolled a Storm/Poison Corrupter. Feeling that and loving it.

Already a huge fan of Poison having a 50 Poison/Pistols/Psy. 

I agree with what someone above said about the flexibility in building with poison as well.

Good stuff.

• Like 1