Ask To Join

On this menu, I'd like to have added:

• "Ask To Join" - sends a tell to the character that says "Can I join you?" or perhaps some customizable message from Options. This would help to quickly respond to people forming teams and leagues.
  • "E-mail Global" - opens a new email message pre-addressed to their global. Makes it easier for those of us who send prizes.

While we are at it, does "Send... Team Leader Message" and "Send... League Leader Message" even work? If not, can we just remove them?

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a popmenu somewhere we could override by placing a new one in the "menus" folder.

IMG_0643.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

"Ask To Join" - sends a tell to the character that says "Can I join you?" or perhaps some customizable message from Options. This would help to quickly respond to people forming teams and leagues.

No no no god no no.

I don't know about you OKman, but if you log on a character on some shards, there are some people who will *instantly* hound you to join whatever you are doing.  I don't want to have to hide because I am breathing and at or above a certain level.

Who run Bartertown?

41 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

While we are at it, does "Send... Team Leader Message" and "Send... League Leader Message" even work? If not, can we just remove them?

Yes, they work.  I use them often.   Usually when a SG mate joins a team that is recruiting and it's easier to do that then type /tell NameSpelledOddly, etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

No no no god no no.

I don't know about you OKman, but if you log on a character on some shards, there are some people who will *instantly* hound you to join whatever you are doing.  I don't want to have to hide because I am breathing and at or above a certain level.

Damn being popular sounds horrible........

• Haha 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

10 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

What I am asking for is a way to quickly respond to someone who has said something in a channel visible to others, giving the example of quickly responding to an ad on LFG. I feel like what you are describing is what happens when people log on and see you are online as well. Two different things.

Absolutely, I might just be hanging out in Ouro and chatting with people in broadcast, not forming anything at all, and get some tells this way asking to join whatever I am forming. I would get those anyway. 

Edited by Oklahoman
Clarifying my comment

9 hours ago, lemming said:

Yes, they work.  I use them often.   Usually when a SG mate joins a team that is recruiting and it's easier to do that then type /tell NameSpelledOddly, etc...

Cool, the times I've used it I got no response. Wasn't sure if the tool itself wasn't working or if everyone hates me. Thanks for clarifying.

11 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

On this menu, I'd like to have added:

• "Ask To Join" - sends a tell to the character that says "Can I join you?" or perhaps some customizable message from Options. This would help to quickly respond to people forming teams and leagues.
  • "E-mail Global" - opens a new email message pre-addressed to their global. Makes it easier for those of us who send prizes.

Now on to the suggestion.

Ask to join:   Might work, not much different from the send tell without the extra step of typing

E-Mail Global; Would be handy.  So would send tell to global.  (Sometimes while cycling thru chars, it helps to do that so they can still reply to you)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This proposed "Ask to join" feature could also  be used to grief or harass people - imagine you wanted to join a TF or trial, don't get in for whatever reason, then proceed to make the leader's life a living hell by spamming requests to them.  What I could see, is if a team leader wanted to open their team up to random joiners, would be to add a "join open team" sort of function...

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

This proposed "Ask to join" feature could also  be used to grief or harass people - imagine you wanted to join a TF or trial, don't get in for whatever reason, then proceed to make the leader's life a living hell by spamming requests to them.  What I could see, is if a team leader wanted to open their team up to random joiners, would be to add a "join open team" sort of function...

I don't see it any different than current.   All it's doing is instead of these steps:

1) Click on name to send a tell

2) Type "Can I join your team?"

3) Wait for results

to

1) Click on name to send a tell with the message "Can I join?"

2) Wait for results

Someone can easily spam currently and probably get put in the ignore category after being reported.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lemming said:

I don't see it any different than current.   All it's doing is instead of these steps:

1) Click on name to send a tell

2) Type "Can I join your team?"

3) Wait for results

to

2) Wait for results

Someone can easily spam currently and probably get put in the ignore category after being reported.

Tells do not cause a popup like I presume this feature would, sort of like a teleport prompt...

• Confused 1

U can spam tells alot faster by hitting enter to begin chat and then the up arrow to display your previous message and then hit enter again to send it.  Clicking through the popmenu would be alot slower spam than what we already have available.

I dont see any request for there to be a popup,  just that it would be an option in the popmenu.

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

U can spam tells alot faster by hitting enter to begin chat and then the up arrow to display your previous message and then hit enter again to send it.

😲You can do that?! ... the things I learn on the Suggestions and Feedback forum....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheZag said:

U can spam tells alot faster by hitting enter to begin chat and then the up arrow to display your previous message and then hit enter again to send it.  Clicking through the popmenu would be alot slower spam than what we already have available.

I dont see any request for there to be a popup,  just that it would be an option in the popmenu.

And how would this request appear to the recipient of said request?  It would have to be some sort of popup, as that is how requests are handled in-game.  It's the same for teleport request, friend requests, and so on...

Edited by biostem
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Most likely as a pre-generated Tell.

If that's the case, then isn't that basically already doable with a bind or macro?  Heck, you could just copy-paste some generic "Hi I'd like to join your team" text ahead of time, then hit ctrl+v after selecting the option to send them a tell...

6 minutes ago, biostem said:

If that's the case, then isn't that basically already doable with a bind or macro?  Heck, you could just copy-paste some generic "Hi I'd like to join your team" text ahead of time, then hit ctrl+v after selecting the option to send them a tell...

Oh, I agree with you. I was just answering your question.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

Cool, the times I've used it I got no response. Wasn't sure if the tool itself wasn't working or if everyone hates me. Thanks for clarifying.

I believe if someone doesn’t respond to something like this it’s because they aren’t looking at that tab at that moment. It has nothing to do with someone not liking you or the game not working.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

9 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

I believe if someone doesn’t respond to something like this it’s because they aren’t looking at that tab at that moment. It has nothing to do with someone not liking you or the game not working.

Boy, I hope you're right. 🙂 

28 minutes ago, biostem said:

To clarify, what you describe is:

1. Copy "I'd like to join your team" into your buffer.
  2. See something you want to join, click on their name, and select send message.
  3. Append to the tell that's now in your chat line with Control V and send.

What I am proposing is:

1 hour ago, lemming said:

2) Wait for results

Optionally, the message in 1 could be set in your Options or perhaps even on your character ID along with stuff like your war cry, but I don't know if that would make the developers balk.

The recipient just gets a tell - no new popups or anything. Just makes it quicker for someone to request getting on a team or league.

Also, if you know how to build a macro that will look at LFG and see who just posted about that BAF and format a tell to them so you can just hit F12 or whatever, I'd love to see it. I'm not sure that's possible.

@Michiyo wrote a program that will monitor the chat logs for key words and audibly alert you when something like, say, "BAF" shows up so you can try to join it quickly. I wrote a powershell script that will monitor the chat logs and when it sees a keyword (like "BAF") it will create a response text and copy it to your clipboard, so in game you could hit enter, control v, and enter to send. What I am suggesting here would basically be a better replacement for the script I wrote, and the other tool could offer an audible alert for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Also, if you know how to build a macro that will look at LFG and see who just posted about that BAF and format a tell to them so you can just hit F12 or whatever, I'd love to see it. I'm not sure that's possible.

That's not possible. Neither would the OP function like that. You would still need to be aware of the advertisement for whatever was joining, click the leader's name, and then select to send the pre-generated tell.

Now what could be possible, I'm not sure since I don't know what all a macro can do in this game, is set up a macro that sends a pre-generated tell to the target you have selected, like the hopefully team leader.

One thing to keep in mind, more than half the time I see people advertising things, they are not the team leader. They are simply on the team and sending out messages for the team leader. Why? I have no clue. However, I routinely see things like "<insert WST> forming. Send tell to <insert character name not broadcasting the notice>."

8 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

@Michiyo wrote a program that will monitor the chat logs for key words and audibly alert you when something like, say, "BAF" shows up so you can try to join it quickly. I wrote a powershell script that will monitor the chat logs and when it sees a keyword (like "BAF") it will create a response text and copy it to your clipboard, so in game you could hit enter, control v, and enter to send. What I am suggesting here would basically be a better replacement for the script I wrote, and the other tool could offer an audible alert for you.

If you've already developed the capability, then why not just improve your script and post it to mods for the game?

32 minutes ago, Rudra said:

If you've already developed the capability, then why not just improve your script and post it to mods for the game?

It's possible @Michiyo could add my functionality to his program - I ain't a programmer and am treading water already, which is why it's a script. I'm not sure if any external program like that could automatically send the tell for you in-game, though. If it could be added in-game like I described above, then when you see whatever you are interested in you just click their name and select "Ask to Join" and you are done.

4 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

It's possible @Michiyo could add my functionality to his program - I ain't a programmer and am treading water already, which is why it's a script. I'm not sure if any external program like that could automatically send the tell for you in-game, though. If it could be added in-game like I described above, then when you see whatever you are interested in you just click their name and select "Ask to Join" and you are done.

I'm pretty sure you will never find anything that automatically does all that for you. And if you did? You would likely wind up on everyone's ignore list in a real hurry.

Leader: "This player asked if (s)he can join? Sure!"

*toss invite to player*

Requesting Player: "I'm already on a team/league."

Leader: "Then why did you ask to join?"

*Leader re-advertises team/league*

Leader: "This player asked if (s)he can join again?! Uhm..."

*tosses another invite to player*

Requesting Player: "I'm already on a team/league."

Leader: "Then why the hell did you ask to join again?!"

Requesting Player: "Oh. The game is automatically sending those whenever the correct flag comes up in chat."

*Leader places Requesting Player on Ignore list*

So you will always have to be watching for the notices yourself, even if you have a script that lets you know if one comes up, and then you will have to initiate the request. Auto-requesting? I don't ever see being a thing.

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

I'm pretty sure you will never find anything that automatically does all that for you.

You asked why I don't improve what we have and post it to mods. I answered what that would look like, and maybe confused matters by not being clear. I would not want or encourage an external program that just looks for "BAF" to show up somewhere and automatically send a tell, assuming such a thing could even exist. It would be best for the user to see the advertisement and choose to click on the player name and select "Ask to Join."

If we could add "Ask To Join" to the list of options mentioned in the first post, there is no need for the script I wrote at all. I cannot, as far as I know, use Powershell to automatically send that tell for the player. I can put the message on the clipboard, but the player would still need to hit enter, control-v, and enter in-game to send the message. Maybe someone smarter than me (which is a low bar to clear) can make that happen, though I don't think it would be a good idea for exactly the scenario you mentioned.

If we can add it as an option to the list I showed in my first post, then no external script is needed. You may still want to use the other tool to get an audible alert and know you need to look at one of your chat windows.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:39 PM, Rudra said:

😲You can do that?! ... the things I learn on the Suggestions and Feedback forum....

Yeah I learned yesterday on CMD and Powershell in windows pressing up arrow also displays what you entered as commands last. And now I learn this lol