Your MMO History

May 2004: City of Heroes, this continues on and off until 2012, with multiple breaks.

June 2004: Closed The Matrix Online beta testing. Was so weird that credit cards were necessary to set up a beta account.

Late 2004 or early 2005: Friends talk me into trying World of Warcraft (not that hard a sell, really, I've been a big Warcraft fan for a long time). Unfortunately, everywhere was sold out and I had to buy the game from someone online who hadn't realized the game had a monthly fee when he bought it. Play WoW off and on with multiple breaks until December 2011, when for various reasons I find it very difficult to get into Cataclysm. Later on I did play a lot of Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor, but ended up losing interesting during Legion when I got the "Can't log into Dalaran" bug and couldn't play any of the characters I was trying to get ready for raids for over a month, by which time I was pretty much done with WoW.

2007: Tried Guild Wars, and played a ton of it over the next few years. My favorite characters were my Mo/usually ME in PVE, N/Mo or N/Me depending on minions or spiteful spirit, and my Rt/N minion master who was way more fun than the necro minion master.

August, 2009: Try the one week open beta for Champions Online and have a lot of fun despite content droughts in the late 20s and 30s. Day one patch kills a lot of my enthusiasm, but I still leveled a character to 40 (cap) before leaving. Occasionally checked it out again but couldn't really get into it.

August 2012, after CoH sunset announcement several of us give The Secret World a try, and that keeps me going for a few years. I lost interest around the time the Venice stuff was added because I felt the risk vs. reward of the new progression was off. I did have fun playing in groups, esp. with someone who was very close to being TSW's Arcanaville. Came back later to try Tokyo and got to the second Tokyo content update before the AEGIS system made me tired. Relaunched as Secret World Legends in 2017 but I couldn't really get into it. It's not for lack of trying or lack of a good group, I just got tired of all the freemium stuff.

Briefly tried Guild Wars 2 and The Elder Scrolls Online. Also got a copy of Final Fantasy XIV from some service I'm on (I can't remember which) but ended up not logging in.

I've given Cryptic's Star Trek Online and Neverwinter a try but I keep running up against the fact I don't really care for how Cryptic has evolved as a studio.

Played Rift a bit but couldn't get very far into it. Played a lot of Star Wars: The Old Republic since 2012, and many of the people I played TSW with also played SWTOR. I got tired of SWTOR again because of cash shop shenanigans.

I played a lot of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer from 2012 until 2014 or so.

I think that about covers it.

30 years old.

Played City of Heroes from my freshman year of college until sunset, so... 2005 to 2012.

Started playing EVE Online at around the same time, and continued to play that until... around 2016.  I still follow EVE and log on once in a while, and have been to Iceland three times for the annual player gathering there.

If you count Destiny 2 as an MMO (it sort of is?), I've played that since about 2017.

I started out with a MUD called Legends of Terris.

After that I played Neverwinter Nights...the original one on AOL, having been a fan of the Gold Box games, and then an active member of the FRUA community on AOL it was only natural for me to get on with NWN.

After that I went back Terris for a bit, then discovered Asheron's Call. Played that until CoH came out.

Tried a few others: DAOC, Anarchy Online, SWG and I did play quite a bit of WoW, but kept coming back to CoH until it shut down. After that I got back into single player games...mostly open world stuff that essentially reminded me of solo MMOs...Fallout/Skyrim and the like.

Not really a fan of the 'Live Service" model that online gaming has become...I remember when we all made fun of horse armor, now people play hundreds of dollars for stuff less worthwhile than that.

Abouta year or so ago I also got back into Tabletop RPGs using Discord and Roll 20. Have had some great times playing and GMing superhero games like Mutants and Masterminds, Masks, Marvel Heroes and the like. There are some really great pen and paper superhero RPGs out there these days.

I started on Dark Age of Camelot.

Followed my guild on world of warcraft beta but prefered to go back to the european release of city of heroes after having tasted its awesomness on beta.

When I became bored I went to my guild in wow but most had left and came back to CoH again - felt bored again just a bit after cov release so I don't know most of the things after and I thank all the players on the help channel.

I played many other mmos : warhammer online (love the universe), star wars the old republic (love the "pet" companions), Rift (love what you can do with your classe / choose your specs), Aion (beurk : vomit), Guild Wars 2 (was ok).

And many other free to play. Special mention to deceased Marvel Heroes which I consider what Diablo 3 (beurk too) should have been - but hey maybe someone did what they did with CoH ? (with disney though I don't think the same will happen)

i don't know why but CoH and Marvel Heroes are where I've had my best memories even though I'm a medieval fantasy fan. The players (especially on CoH) are awesome.

Taum Athe et non je ne suis pas un fruit et encore moins un thaumaturge !

I'm 38.

My first MMO experience was as a beta tester for the Sims Online.  I wasn't really interested in the game, and I don't even know why I was invited to the beta, but I tried it out.  It was kind of neat at first, but I found it boring and repetitive and did not buy the game when it released.

A couple years later, I was dabbling a bit in Star Wars Galaxies when I learned about City of Heroes. I bought it at launch and I remember loading the game up for the first time and being told that it couldn't run on my computer.  So I went out and got a new graphics card and performed my first ever hardware installation.  It was everything I thought it would be; in my opinion no other MMO has ever matched CoX for sheer fun.

The World of Warcraft took over.  I had a lot of friends who played it, and after much coercion, I joined them.  I played WoW from vanilla to Cataclysm.  I was a raid tank during the Burning Crusade, the only time I was ever serious about endgame.  This was kind of the golden age of MMOs for me.  I played with a close-knit group in WoW (only one of whom I ever met in real life), and we would frequently take breaks to explore other games.  I made us a supergroup in City of Villains.  We all did free trials in Star Wars Galaxies.  Someone else introduced us all to Lord of the Rings Online.

We had all drifted apart by the time Cataclysm came out, and that was the end of WoW for me.  The graphics upgrades made it run poorly on my computer, but mostly it was just a busier time of life for me.  I've tried out numerous games in the years since.  I did go back to WoW in Legion just to see what it was like now.  I feel like I've outgrown it.

I continued playing CoH off and on until it closed.

I played Dungeons and Dragons Online for a while.  I wanted to like that game, and the multiclass system is very flexible and fun, but the entire quest system annoyed me.

I played EVE Online for a while.  It was amazing at first, but eventually it started to feel like work, so I had to stop playing.

I signed up to be a beta tester for The Old Republic, and was annoyed to learn that my system couldn't run it.  (If you haven't noticed, outdated hardware is kind of a theme for me.)  I did eventually play it, and I enjoyed the story, but I wouldn't spend much time there.

I played Star Trek Online, and I liked it enough to buy a lifetime subscription.

And now I'm here.

I have played so many MMOs, so very many.

My first was EverQuest, in 1999. My second was Dark Age of Camelot. I would play both of those games an awful lot for quite a while, and my memory is fuzzy as to what exact order I played the following, and this list is probably not complete:

EverQuest 2. Guild Wars 1 & 2. RIFT. Fallen Earth. Star Wars Galaxies. Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Lord of the Rings Online. Word of Warcraft. Ryzom. A Tale in the Desert. Dungeons & Dragons Online. Neverwinter (also Neverwinter Nights, but that's not technically an MMO). The Secret World. Vanguard. Elder Scrolls Online. Anarchy Online. Elite: Dangerous.

Dabbled in a heck of a lot more, but the above are ones I played for good lengths of time. But ever since I got into City of Heroes Beta, I've been in love with this game. I might drift away momentarily, but I always quickly returned, and I can't say that about any of the other games, despite truly loving a few of them. City of Heroes was not a game I expected to love, but it bowled me over, and then when City of Villains released, my heart was well and truly captured. I said over and over throughout the years, that CoX is my Forever Game. I might play other games now and then, I might be completely enraptured by other games now and then, but this one, this one is home for me.

Yes because obviously I would play a game for like 7 years straight if I thought everyone who played it was dumb.  ::)

Rokkeb, I actually encountered people in-game on WoW, who did in fact strenuously hold that anyone who liked any of the MoP content, and triply-especially anyone who ever played a Pandaren, was in fact dumb as a rock.  Your post didn't look like a joke to me.  Your post looked like you were one of those people.

By the by, while I never took my Pandaren very far, I did really like the MoP content overall. 

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Speaking of the panda thing in WoW, I read somewhere though I can't recall where that that a Panda class was posted on some message board for a future update as an April fools joke. However so many people liked it Blizzard decided to make it a real thing in game. Go figure...  :o

You may also know me in game as...

Mupi Widt - AKB048 - Pulsar Girl - Captain Dad - Popsicle Girl - Carpathian - Tatanya Angelica Snow

My only problem with the Panda expansion is that they removed your ability to fly around after your first time through the content. It puts the skids on hard for leveling alts through. You can fly through Outland and Northrend, and then nope!

How could I have forgotten to add...

DAOC, which I still occasionally play and I'm anxiously awaiting their F2P model.

Warhammer Online... still play the emulator sometimes.

Guild Wars

Guild Wars 2... still sometimes play

Speaking of the panda thing in WoW, I read somewhere though I can't recall where that that a Panda class was posted on some message board for a future update as an April fools joke. However so many people liked it Blizzard decided to make it a real thing in game. Go figure...  :o

Pandaren first showed up in Warcraft 3. I don't recall them ever being an April Fool's joke for WoW, but I do recall after the first time they added new races ( Draenei and Blood Elves in the first expansion, Burning Crusade ), there were a lot of people clamoring for Pandaren to be next.

Greetings Heroes!

It's been over 10 years since I last played CoH and I've missed it ever since! My former Global name was @Hellsminion, but I'm now @HacknSlash. I started on Freedom, but moved to Justice. Now I'm just excited to be able to log in again! Looking forward to doing so Skul crunching!

Pandaren first showed up in Warcraft 3. I don't recall them ever being an April Fool's joke for WoW, but I do recall after the first time they added new races ( Draenei and Blood Elves in the first expansion, Burning Crusade ), there were a lot of people clamoring for Pandaren to be next.

Pandaren as a fully playable race was actually an April Fool's joke for Warcraft III, not WoW. A Pandaren hero was eventually put into WC3 in the Frozen Throne expansion. When Blizzard announced Pandaren in WoW like a decade later, many people thought it was another joke based on what had happened before (and the general cultural osmosis of Pandaren = joke that existed by then). But WoW Pandaren were never a joke.

Yes because obviously I would play a game for like 7 years straight if I thought everyone who played it was dumb.  ::)

You....didn't say anything about playing for 7 years straight. You listed multiple in and outs, and, given the xpac ranges listed, none of which were 7 years straight.

41 years old here.

Ultima Online was my first - still have an active account but don't play much at all anymore.

Asheron's call - lasted like 6 months, just didn't care for it.

Shadowbane - like 2 months just wasn't for me.

WoW - played up till like 50 in vanilla and got tired of it.

Star wars galaxies - didn't run well on my 'puter at the time

City of Heroes from day one till it shut down and now I'm back again!  One of my favorite MMO's of all time.

Champions online - was lookin' for the CoH fix but I found it horrible on too many fronts.

DC online - just didn't care for it again.

Star wars the old republic - played for about a year before my interest waned.

Dark age of Camelot - Too much focus on pvp for my tastes at the time.

EQ - didn't like it it at all.

Lotro - played with some friend from UO but it didn't click.

UO and Coh are my all time favorites of the bunch.

Darksiders GM

I'm 43 .. I have spent a lot of time playing MMOs but this list is suprisingly short.

Earth & Beyond - It wasn't around for that long but I played it on and off.  This is the first MMO I can remember playing although I played a lot of MUDs and other online multiplayer games before that.

SWG - For the first few months only.  I was heavily into the farming and crafting early on (Master Weaponsmith)

City of Heroes - Overall my favourite.  Played from launch until around I12 consistently, and then on and off through to the end.  My mains were a Fire/Emp controller and a Katana/Regen scrapper, along with many, many other alts.

World of Warcraft - From launch until current with some breaks (currently on a break).  Main Night-Elf rogue and Draenei Shaman.

Warhammer Online - Maybe for 3-6 months.  I actually really liked this game .. but I'm not really into PVP so it ultimately wasn't right for me.

Rift - Also maybe 3-6 months.  Great concept but it got old quick. 

Tabula Rasa - I bought this and played the first month.  I liked it and was shocked when it got shut down so fast.

Wildstar - Same as above.

Elder Scrolls Online - still play it occasionally but don't have much into it.

Most of the games above I really liked but ultimately COH and WOW were the ones that held my attention and I didn't have the time for more than that.  So I would wander off and try others just for a break in scenery and eventually go back.  COH had a big impact on me personally which makes it the game that is probably most important to me.

Others that I only basically tried on a trial or maybe the first month:

Champions Online

44 as of this writing.  Keep in mind that I am an altoholic, and creation of characters and enjoyment of the stories is why I play most of these games.

The first MMORPG I played was Earth & Beyond.  I got in to the beta and played when I could, then EA happened to WestWood Studios, ...cutting of rant now.

Then I was introduced to Dark Age of Camelot because my brother-in-law's friend gave me a copy so I could box his Bard for him.  Found my home in the Theurgist and getting to 50, and then getting my Theurgist his robes.  Even here, I found my altoholism as I had to try every class, yes EVERY class.

Got in to City of Heroes beta and enjoyed.  Discovered it through gaming magazines of the day.  Got it at launch and eventually rotated its play with two others over time.  Its robust character creator made it almost impossible for me to get a character up high, though I did manage to push my Stone/Energy Tanker Handle up to getting Granite.  I don't think I ever got any of them to get access to Elite Pools, much less the Incarnate content, though.

World of Warcraft was greatly anticipated by me as I had played and enjoyed all of Blizzard's work up to that point.  Aside from loot lag and my favorite class being a Druid, I enjoyed playing in that world.  This would be a game that would part of my rotation, though I did take most of Cataclysm and much of Wrath off because my account got hacked while it was off rotation and lost pretty much everything on my highest characters.  I have completed the Class Halls for Legion for every class and unlocked all the Allied Races up to 8.1.5.  Admittedly, being unemployed for a couple years helped with that.  Haven't been back since then, even though I really wanted to get the KT and Z Druids up.  That may be why I liked the Pandarian experience more than most since I remember the Warcraft 3 April Fool's progression.  (Pandarens were announced as the 4th Race for WC3.  The 4th race was later announced as the Scourge.  The popularity of the joke rose to including the Brewmaster as a Mercenary Hero in the Frozen Throne, and every expansion of WoW had requests on the forums for Pandarens till Mists.)

Star Wars: the Old Republic was another one on my subscription rotation.  A lot of people complained that it was a theme park MMO, and while I can't disagree with that, I still find few problems with that.  Even with my DAoC background, PvP just isn't one of my favorite things anymore due to poor reaction times, so SWtOR's general lack of it wasn't a concern, as I enjoyed playing it specifically for the storylines.  Oddly enough, that's what I enjoyed about WoW and City of Heroes.

I have played Secret World off and on, but only ever got out of Kingsford with one character (altoholism plus a little completionism strikes again).  Since I'm married and have little kids in the house, I really can't play that one much any more.  The horror aspects are cool, but could be scarring to my littles, and some of the enemies are a bit to risque for my Mrs to see me with.

I was in Vanguard's Beta, bought it as I liked the premises, and enjoyed the world and general system, but requirement to team up to do anything past 12 was a little harsh.  But not as harsh as...

Final Fantasy XI.  I like the Final Fantasy series up to this point, I really do.  I like the concepts of the game as well.  But I'm not a group hog spamming invites everywhere I go, and when you can't even be an altoholic very easily because you couldn't even pick the server you created a character on, it became tough to WANT to slog through all the messes involved with this console port.

Rift came along and did almost everything that Warhammer: Age of Reckoning tried to do, and did it right.  The soul system was (and is) interesting, as it really gave you opportunities to modify your character.  However, it was easy to get caught up in the raids in the first zone, so I never really progressed any of my characters out of there.

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning I played because I found the area quests a good option, I was in to Warhammer on the tabletop at the time, and I liked what Mythic did with DAoC.  Unfortunately, they forgot a lot of what got DAoC right when trying to fit it in to GW's mold.  The game became bogged down to level 10s fighting over one small section of one of the first zones.  The classes an zones were quite characterful and I enjoyed the atmosphere.

I played Tabula Rasa and was even able to progress in it, partially because they had a thing called, "cloning".  Every character starts out in the same class, and as they progress, they can choose to follow a path which focuses on certain paths.  When you reach that split point, you can clone the character and have the clone go down the other path.  The active environment made it interesting, but NCSoft, Garriot, and the limited technology of the time pretty much guaranteed its doom.

While on hiatus from employment and paid subscriptions, Guild Wars 2 offered its base for free, so I checked it out.  It's very limited character slots (2) for this made it hard to find a character to lock on to play with since I had to destroy at least one.  I did get a flower Ranger up to his 30s before I stopped playing it, though.

I ran Champions Online in Beta and bought a copy, and well...  It came up in subscription rotation about as often as Vanguard, but for fewer reasons.  Going F2P made it worse since I couldn't access my old characters with it without subscribing.

I played a lot of Star Trek Online and my character in to the flag ranks, and then interest waned.  Character slots were at a premium in that game, which made being an altoholic hard, and the ground combat reminded me almost of Doom, and not in a good way.  I did run in to a situation where I completed a story arc of missions before I completely ran through the arc.  Basically doing mission 6, and then going to do missions 4 & 5 of the arc, leaving me a little confused.  I loved the starship combat, though.  My old roommate still plays it, but I just don't feel the pull back to it.

I have played a lot more MMORPGs, but most were not even past demo time, like Horizons or Wildstar.

I have really enjoyed my time on City of Heroes, both past and present, and was really disappointed that it had gone through a Sunset.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Wow.

I started way back in the day with Ultima Online. From there, I went to World of Warcraft where I Beta tested and hated it.

Then, I came to City of Heroes since Beta to Sundown.

I did take a few breaks from City of Heroes to try other games, but I was still going back to CoH regularly. I played WoW for a while (just because every one of my friends were playing and I wanted to game with them), EVE, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Guild Wars, Legacy and when CoH went off-line I was among the many who tried Champions and could not stand it.

And now I am back to the City. God, I missed this game!

Project Manager, Haphazard Projects

Founder of the L.A.U.G.H. SG

"If you don't laugh at yourself, someone else will laugh at you first!"

I'm 46.

My first MMO was Eve Online which I played semi-casually until CoH came out.

I played CoH from shortly after launch, before Issue 1 (when the level cap was 40) all the way until shut down.

I went back to Eve Online after that - got really heavily involved - and am now part of INIT. and still loving it.

Having CoH back is a great break from Eve, but I can handle both games, and enjoy them both for wildly different reasons.

I also play a bit of Guild Wars 2 every now and then, but I don't feel much attachment to it.

Before MMOs, there were MUDs, particularly one called Tsunami.  I played that sometime in the mid-1990s.  It's somehow still running, and it still has the best selection of classes in any online game, MMOs included.

My first MMO was a small French game called Dofus (well, small in the US, pretty big in France).  It's also still running, after fourteen years (it officially opened in September 2005, though it was in beta for about a year before that).  I'm good at choosing long-runners, it appears.

I then tried World of Warcraft, but I never subscribed.  I don't think I need to describe or link to this one.

Does Kingdom of Loathing count?  Another long-runner (it opened in 2003), I played that for quite a while.  (I still do an ascension every now and then, but I don't like the Standard restrictions or all the changes that made quests slower and longer, so I don't play much anymore)  It has a pretty good, if extremely sarcastic, community, much better than the toxic forums of WoW and Dofus (and the PvP-centric crowd of Tsunami).

I joined City of Heroes in 2010, near the end of Issue 16.  I vaguely remember joining it just to prove to someone on a message board how terrible it was. Boy, was I ever wrong. I was hooked, and I played it until close.

After City of Heroes closed, I played Champions online for a few months (it never felt right to me), and drifted back to Dofus and Kingdom of Loathing for a while.  Also played Toontown Online for a while, mainly because it didn't feel or play anything like CoH (and so didn't remind me of it and trigger more sadness).

If Marvel Avengers Alliance counts, I was heavily into that until it likewise closed. I didn't expect to, but I still miss it. (It has its own ongoing project trying to bring it back as an offline single-player game, but it's not very far along)

I got really into Star Trek Online, but then they discontinued the Mac version, and then I started playing the PS4 version, and I still like it a lot (but not as much as CoH).

I played Marvel Heroes for about a year, and really really liked it until the Biggest Update Ever ruined everything, and then it closed.  The gameplay was entirely different from CoH, but it actually had a pretty nice community, comparable to CoH's.

I played FF14 for a month, but I couldn't figure out how to resubscribe. The first month I subscribed through PSN, but after that I had to make an account on the Square-Enix website, and buy the game?  So I never went back, despite enjoying it.

I played Neverwinter for a few months (I liked it, but it got repetitive), played TERA for a few days (it was okay, but it didn't really grab me), played DC Universe Online for a few minutes (hated it).

I think that's all of the major ones.

First game for me was Meridian 59, back in the dial up days. I loved the crap out of that game. Was my first introduction to online anything. Made some long lasting friendships in that game.

After that, Everquest. Launch day. What a mess trying to get connected, but wow was I ever fascinated with that online world. Meridian 59 was ugly, even by mid 90's standards, so Everquest felt like I was playing in a whole new world. But it was a hard and unforgiving game back then as much as I loved it, I just didn't have the time to group enough to really get anywhere.

Some time after that, I tried Anarchy Online and really enjoyed it for a bit. You could get further in the game solo than you could with Everquest. But I eventually wandered away.  It was around this time that I was constantly checking for updates on CoH and placed my pre-order.  CoH was my next game that I stuck with for a several months to a year or so. I think I got to about mid 30's then wandered off. Tried Everquest 2 and WoW. Then wandered back to Everquest around the LDoN era. Played steady for a while and grouped more and enjoyed it.

Next up was Age of Conan. Didn't care for it and abandoned it rather quickly. Then along came Lord of the Rings Online. I got into the very final beta stage. I spent a lot of time in this game (still do from time to time). It was the first MMO that I actually hit the level cap on. I still love that game and probably always will. After that I went back to Wow and spent more time than previous attempts. Level capped there too, but got bored. Dabbled in Everquest private servers for a while. Did the Champions Online thing for a while. Level capped there too. There are others that I flirted with briefly i.e, played for a month or two like Aion, Rift, BDO, etc. Did play Runes of Magic for a while. It's pretty fun for a free to play WoW clone.

I've played a lot of them over the years. Aside from big, sandbox RPGs like Skyrim, MMOs are the only games that I play really.

I'm very happy to be back in Coh and I am enjoying it more this time around than the first time. I'm 3 levels from the cap now :)

To start with, I began playing City of Heroes, and then... nothing.  Currently?  City of Heroes.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

City of Villains was my first MMO. I adored Villain-side.

My ex introduced me to WoW in 2008. I love that game. I've read all the lore and played every class (except Rogues) and every race. I've read all the novels and comics. I adore Azeroth.  I even have Frostmourne on my forearm. I'm feeling really burnt out with WoW, though. I can't play it anymore.

My ex and I tried Rift and EVE. I've played a few others.

Before CoX came back I was into Destiny 2.

City of X is my one true MMO love.  I'm glad it's back!

Well I started playing MMOs around 1999.  '97 and '98 was mostly playing Quake but my first MMO was Ultima Online in 1999.

I played The Sims Online for a while.  Shadowbane after that - still playing UO though.  Played Star Wars Galaxies for a bit.  Then 2004 hit and COH and World of Warcraft came out.  I didn't touch another MMO until The Old Republic came out (I did try DCUO for like a week).  SWTOR became my main MMO for about a year, but went back to WoW.  CoH was closed by then.  Tried Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online but neither held my interest for too long.

The weird part is in 2019 the 2 MMOs I am most interested in are the ones from 2004.  :)