Ignore and Teams

jkwak

i dont kbow if its technically possible but it would be really helpfull if you cant join a team if someone in the Team has you on ignore and vise versa, same for leagues.

it makes working as a team really hard if people dont get each others messages and you cant even give them inspiration they need.

there is always a reason to put people on Ignore and i dont argue that but then they shouldnt be able to be in the same team.

you already cant invite people who got you on ignore if you are the leader sooo its just a small quality of life improvement upon that

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

Problem with that is if only a team member has you on ignore. If it is just one person, you can infer comments made by others' responses. And only whomever is directing the team's actions needs to be heard. On a league, this is much more pronounced. If you are put on Team 5 and the person that has you on ignore is on team 7, but you can see the posts from the league leader and the team leaders, what problem is being introduced if one member of team 7 says something you can't read? Why would you want to punish yourself and limit your options in this way?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Instead of an outright lockout, it'd probably would be better to have this as a pop-up warning as part of the invite - Team/League has <player(s) ignoring you>, and possibly a pop-up warning for you if <player ignoring you> joins.

Kinda defeats some of the purpose of ignore lists being private, but this way you know ahead of time (and can somewhat work around it), instead of trying to figure out why so-and-so apparently isn't listening.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

a pop up warning might work to.
there are already messages in the chat window for some interactions if a player is ignoring you, so the "purpose" of having people not know you are ignoring them is allready defeated

edit: alternativelly give the Leader the popup so they can decide what to do, but that will drag outsiders in some drama they dont want to be part off

Edited by jkwak
  • Thumbs Left 1

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

That sounds like a management nightmare in putting together teams.

Leaving it just between leader and member I think is fine.  Otherwise you have two members who probably won't chat with each other anyway denying a place to the other and making the team leader have to figure out who and why.

And ignore can be done for a myriad of reasons, some which don't apply to teaming.   I think a better solution is just have ignore turned off for team & league chat?  If it's a solid reason (to the person) for the other to be on ignore, they can take whatever action.

I should note, the only people I have  on ignore are some of the people who spammed terrible stuff and probably no longer have accounts.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lemming said:

Leaving it just between leader and member I think is fine.  Otherwise you have two members who probably won't chat with each other anyway denying a place to the other and making the team leader have to figure out who and why.

And ignore can be done for a myriad of reasons, some which don't apply to teaming.   I think a better solution is just have ignore turned off for team & league chat?  If it's a solid reason (to the person) for the other to be on ignore, they can take whatever action.

I should note, the only people I have  on ignore are some of the people who spammed terrible stuff and probably no longer have accounts.

Thanks. I forgot about that. Someone asks to join a team/league, leader sends invite, and then gets a message that the requesting player can't be invited. Are they the wrong alignment for the task in question? (Like the Jade Spider TF/SF.) Is there someone already on the team/league that has that person on ignore? (Why should that even be a problem for the team leader, since that person is ostensibly the one giving everyone their directions?) Is the requesting player the one that has someone already on the team/league on ignore? (See team leader's involvement statement of point 2, and how does the requesting player find out? Do they just stand there wondering if the team/league leader is ignoring them because they can't be invited to the team/league?) Yeah, sounds like a major headache in the making.

1 hour ago, jkwak said:

a pop up warning might work to.
there are already messages in the chat window for some interactions if a player is ignoring you, so the "purpose" of having people not know you are ignoring them is allready defeated

edit: alternativelly give the Leader the popup so they can decide what to do, but that will drag outsiders in some drama they dont want to be part off

37 minutes ago, lemming said:

Sorry, should clarify why I suggested this (since I accidentally deleted it while editing that post):

So that the player being ignored can decide if it's worth dealing with that headache, or make their excuses to the team lead and then leave.  As you guys have said, there's no real reason to drag the team leader into this (and it'd make for one nice headache for them, too!).

One point you guys did bring up though - should the team leader get a pop-up when inviting someone that has an existing teammate on ignore?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemming said:

That kind of defeats the reason for ignore, especially if they ignored the person because they were being harassed, or the person being ignored throws out slurs or other comments that really bother that one person. What action can they take? Leave the team that would otherwise be fine - or worse, the league?

Given the number of people on the server, the number of things that could criscross as far as who ignores whom ... just kind of sounds like a pain.

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

One point you guys did bring up though - should the team leader get a pop-up when inviting someone that has an existing teammate on ignore?

Not their business, I'd say.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Not their business, I'd say.

And I'd agree with you, but if this system could cause someone already on the team to immediately leave... it might be worth knowing about beforehand

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

That kind of defeats the reason for ignore, especially if they ignored the person because they were being harassed, or the person being ignored throws out slurs or other comments that really bother that one person. What action can they take? Leave the team that would otherwise be fine - or worse, the league?

Given the number of people on the server, the number of things that could criscross as far as who ignores whom ... just kind of sounds like a pain.

Well, if neither are lead, I think a popup saying "Hey, this person that you have on ignore is on the team or just joined the team" and maybe with the text from the note that hopefully got put in place.

There are a couple people that I have almost put on ignore just because of their relentless chatter in general, but they're fine on teams.  In theory, the worst offenders no longer play, and the pop up can let people decide if they want to stay.

I also don't think mucking with the system is really worth it, but like I said, I don't have many on ignore.  (A whole 21, and based on their global, I don't think many are still on)

12 minutes ago, lemming said:

Well, if neither are lead, I think a popup saying "Hey, this person that you have on ignore is on the team or just joined the team" and maybe with the text from the note that hopefully got put in place.

this solution would be perfect, tbh i doubt its a thing which happens often but when it happens it is a problem.

although notes you put on people are stored locally... but thats a problem on it self and i doubt the Homecoming devs cat do anything about that

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

On 7/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, jkwak said:

i dont kbow if its technically possible but it would be really helpfull if you cant join a team if someone in the Team has you on ignore and vise versa, same for leagues....

I am semi-regularly on a Hami with someone who said they were putting me on ignore because I gave them a Duplicating Gift. Literally, I gave it to just a random person walking by and they sent me a tell saying,  "Welcome to ignore. I didn't want that badge on this character." For the uninitiated, you get 'Gift Getter" if someone gives you the Duplicating Gift. The whole point of the temp power is to pass it around so merely logging into the Winter Event makes the chance of getting one pretty high.

I know because I one-starred them with a brief note and have seen them on Hami's now and then. I just figured if they can be that touchy and unrealistic in their expectations, I'd like to give them a wide-berth even if they don't have me on ignore. I'm sure they would be a little ticked being excluded from a Hami raid just because there was a negative experience with one-person out of a potential 48. I know I would.

Some message noting the status would be welcome. There are definitely experiences that have been negative enough where if I got this pop-up after joining a team and checked my note, I may well bow out. But really, the only one you really "have" to hear from is the leader and if they have you on ignore, you won't even know they were recruiting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

On 7/23/2023 at 12:37 PM, jkwak said:

i dont kbow if its technically possible but it would be really helpfull if you cant join a team if someone in the Team has you on ignore and vise versa, same for leagues.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think that this would turn out to be as beneficial as you would think.

If you have someone on ignore, I'm petty sure is entirely global at this point.

The player base isn't as big as one might think based on the number of characters running around (I have well over 100 myself and alt jump probably 10 or more times a play session and that includes server jumping in the mix as well).

I'm assuming you use ignore. I use it so much that people drop off the other end (become un-ignored) whenever I put someone on ignore (it is limited to some very small number like 30).

Having this would mean that you would - most likely - not be able to join far more teams than you may think.

Also if Leader A invites you to a team. You have Player B on ignore. Leader A tries to invite his good friend Player B to join, but now the system won't let him. I'm sure the combat/error message is going to say that Leader A can't invite Player because you have them on ignore. You get kicked from the team. Leader A figures they don't want to deal with the situation again, so they put you on ignore.

Now you can't join teams with Leader A or Player B.

The larger the team, the more likely this would cause a conflict.

So leagues would increase the chances of having someone you ignored already on the league or people being prevented from joining the league because you are already on it.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I have people on ignore not simply because I don't want to team with them but also that I don't want them to be able to chat at me (well, yeah, and AE Farm spammers, but I think they have all fallen off the end of my ignore list a good while ago). 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, Attache said:

I am semi-regularly on a Hami with someone who said they were putting me on ignore because I gave them a Duplicating Gift. Literally, I gave it to just a random person walking by and they sent me a tell saying,  "Welcome to ignore. I didn't want that badge on this character." For the uninitiated, you get 'Gift Getter" if someone gives you the Duplicating Gift. The whole point of the temp power is to pass it around so merely logging into the Winter Event makes the chance of getting one pretty high.

This is a good example of why the OPs plan "isn't as good as it's cracked up to be".

8 hours ago, Attache said:

But really, the only one you really "have" to hear from is the leader and if they have you on ignore, you won't even know they were recruiting. 

I've lead teams and had player A say "invite Player B".

I tell them, "Have Player B send me a tell if they want to join."

Player B is standing next to me with Player A.

Player A says "They said that they did".

I tell them, "They must be on ignore. I don't team with players on my ignore list".

I think it has always lead to silence, and Player A staying on the team.

At any rate, someone must have told Player B that I was recruiting.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

13 minutes ago, biostem said:

Hmm... from a practical perspective, it seems that just checking if the leader has you on ignore or visa-versa, (and generating some sort of pop-up warning), is the best way to go, as others have pointed out.

Except if the leader has you on ignore, you will never get on the team anyway. And if you have the team leader on ignore, you will never even know the leader is forming a team to even request an invite in the first place. Both circumstances already resolve themselves in the game and aren't really covered by the OP.

So the only real consideration for the OP is if a team member has the person on ignore or if that person has a team member on ignore. And if a player has another player on ignore, they won't be seeing the ignored person's comments anyway and can focus on what the leader and possibly other members are saying. Or if the other person has the player on ignore, there won't be any interaction between them because the other person can't see the player's comments.

So... not to bash the OP... but I don't understand it. (It feels like the author is looking to punish himself/herself/themselves by limiting the number of teams (s)he can join.) From a strictly personal point of view, if I'm being ignored by someone on the team or league, I don't really care. That person's lack of interaction with me can be the result of several different things, all of which is their business rather than mine. I can still enjoy interacting with the rest of team even if one person on the team isn't interacting with me. And if I have someone on ignore? I can't see their comments anyway, so unless that person goes out of their way to use their powers to annoy me, which would be evident to the rest of the team, who cares? Though I understand I tend to have a weird outlook on things.

• Thumbs Up 2

The best course of action that I can see is everyone treat each other how you'd want to be treated and chances are you won't have anyone on the ignore list and vice versa.

That said I agree with some of the reasons in this thread why not to implement the idea as I don't want as a team leader to make a call between two players who have each other on ignore as I'd likely go with someone I know as opposed to a random, but I like teaming with pugs because that's how you get to meet other players. I'd just assume that most of everyone is a grown adult playing since the game has been around since 2004 and they can figure their shit out without development time being allocated towards dividing the playground.

15 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I've lead teams and had player A say "invite Player B".

I tell them, "Have Player B send me a tell if they want to join."

Player B is standing next to me with Player A.

Player A says "They said that they did".

I tell them, "They must be on ignore. I don't team with players on my ignore list".

I think it has always lead to silence, and Player A staying on the team.

At any rate, someone must have told Player B that I was recruiting.

I've used "Hide" while soloing to keep invites down while doing base editing or soloing stuff in Ouroboros that I can't bring someone in on once Flashback starts anyway.  Sometimes I forget to shut that off, and it sends the same error message as Ignore.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:21 PM, Akisan said:

Eh, I'm fine with /ignore only affecting chat for the most part, not teaming.  I don't lead leagues, and a league leader electing not to invite someone to their jam is 100% in their purview. 

If someone I'm ignoring wants to be on a team or league with me, that's fine.  It's their game, too.  However if someone is willing to grief a league or team over the fact I'm ignoring them then a GM can be informed at that point. Civility/incivility goes both ways. (Of course someone talking around the ignore block tells the leader that my presence is a problem, I will leave before the run starts.  I don't NEED anything if it's going to impose on others.)

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

6 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

actually i want the ability/option to ignore someones characters without ignoring their account

Isn't there /ignore and /gignore, for ignoring an individual character and then to ignore someone globally?

For reference: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/List_of_Slash_Commands

EDIT:  Disregard, I read on to find this:

Note: This slash command functions exactly the same as /gignore. Previously, it was possible to ignore a global name but still receive character-to-character messages, and vice-versa. This is no longer possible.

Edited by biostem

On 7/23/2023 at 8:05 PM, lemming said:

As one who sometimes has to use ignore due to others' behavior in chat functions, I'm liking this thought.  Nine times out of ten, I just am trying to get past a problem, not trying to silence them forever, and the pop-up might just serve as a good reminder that I left someone in a time-out that I should have cancelled anyway.   I've only had two problems necessitating more serious action in the past.  One, back in the original game, was essentially a stalker, and one in Homecoming made a point of logging into a second account to confront me about my choice to mute them on their primary account.  The rest I'd consider as temporary time outs.   Were I to receive such a pop-up in a league, I'd immediately check my ignored list to see if I could remove the ignore.  If I need to use ignore still, I might just negate it for the duration of the league, then renew it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Note: This slash command functions exactly the same as /gignore. Previously, it was possible to ignore a global name but still receive character-to-character messages, and vice-versa. This is no longer possible.

I might hate your energy defender but I dont hate you but such is life.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Techwright said:

As one who sometimes has to use ignore due to others' behavior in chat functions, I'm liking this thought.  Nine times out of ten, I just am trying to get past a problem, not trying to silence them forever, and the pop-up might just serve as a good reminder that I left someone in a time-out that I should have cancelled anyway.   I've only had two problems necessitating more serious action in the past.  One, back in the original game, was essentially a stalker, and one in Homecoming made a point of logging into a second account to confront me about my choice to mute them on their primary account.  The rest I'd consider as temporary time outs.   Were I to receive such a pop-up in a league, I'd immediately check my ignored list to see if I could remove the ignore.  If I need to use ignore still, I might just negate it for the duration of the league, then renew it.

Yep.   I tend to do a quick scan of people on the teams since I like to know what we have on the team and every so often I'll see I put a note on the global.