Sigh Barbie

Snarky

34 minutes ago, Snarky said:

And this is why this game will always rock,  In CoH you can make your own wild character.

It was either that or aspiring internet rap artist but my slang is so dated it's probably offensive.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 7/24/2023 at 9:19 AM, Player2 said:

I saw a review of the Barbie movie by The Critical Drinker on YouTube, and let's just say I will not and cannot support anything about this movie.  It took something timeless and pure and twisted it into something ugly.  No thanks.

TCD is one of the laziest and dishonest reviewers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

On 7/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, Andreah said:

I don't plan to see the movie, even though I feel a draw to go, because it's likely to conflict with cherished parts of my childhood. That being said, almost all my characters have inspirations from Barbie behind them.

It’s just a comedy and a funny one.   After seeing it I thought any controversy was manufactured.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Psi-bolt said:

It’s just a comedy and a funny one.   After seeing it I thought any controversy was manufactured.

all drama is manufactured.  "haters" are rarely expressing honest fear or hate.  They are generally pandeering to others emotions to generate interest, and CASH.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snarky said:

all drama is manufactured.  "haters" are rarely expressing honest fear or hate.  They are generally pandeering to others emotions to generate interest, and CASH.

As the new saying goes: "If you can't figure out what the product is then you are the product."

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

• Game Master

I found out a couple of days ago my friend went to see the previews and absolutely hated it. He's a good fit for the demographic as well, he's gay, used to be a nanny and played Barbie with his charges, loves anything camp and silly. He said it was misandrist and mean spirited. He also agreed that if you took a shot every time they said Patriarchy you'd probably die. He also thought the Barbie exec stuff could have been cut out and nobody would really have noticed. I'll probably catch it on streaming at some point so I'll see for myself.

• Thanks 1

I saw it, it was fine.  3.5 out of 5.  There were some funny moments but the thing is it was different than what's been shoveled out as of late.  Sure there was a message but I didn't feel bludgeoned to death by it.  America Fererra actually had the best written and acted character followed by Robbie.  Not enough Kate McKinnon and too much Ferrell (totally agree on the Mattel scenes less the part with Rhea Perlman's character).  Gonna see Blue Beetle this coming weekend because friends said while its average from a story standpoint, the characters are fun and funny and there is heart like the first Shazam.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 8/21/2023 at 5:05 PM, Trike said:

If you have similar tastes, why wouldn’t you trust their opinion?

My guess here is that you're referring to 'my buddy' and not 'critic reviews', which if true is kinda the point. 

It's pretty easy to find a critic/outlet who/that has tastes similar to your own and go from there. 

8 hours ago, Panache said:

My guess here is that you're referring to 'my buddy' and not 'critic reviews', which if true is kinda the point. 

It's pretty easy to find a critic/outlet who/that has tastes similar to your own and go from there. 

Now I’m confused. It sounds like you’re saying the opposite of what you said earlier.

9 hours ago, Panache said:

Sorry, but there's no difference between "My buddy says" and "PROFESSIONA:L critic reviews".

In all things, it's nothing more than expression of personal preference.

And anyone trying to tell me it's different just because someone makes money and another doesn't is rockin' the ganj...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

11 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Sorry, but there's no difference between "My buddy says" and "PROFESSIONA:L critic reviews".

In all things, it's nothing more than expression of personal preference.

And anyone trying to tell me it's different just because someone makes money and another doesn't is rockin' the ganj...

Well I am rockin' the ganj, and I think this is malarkey, lol.

Critics don't have more insight because they're paid, they're paid because they have more insight. 

If you're reading some critique and personal preference is obvious, then that critic is bad at their job. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to listen to friends whose tastes you know line up with yours when you're deciding if you should see something; I think it doesn't make sense to trot those same friends out into third party convos if that third party has no idea who your friend is. 

Edited by Panache

2 hours ago, Panache said:

Well I am rockin' the ganj, and I think this is malarkey, lol.

Critics don't have more insight because they're paid, they're paid because they have more insight. 

If you're reading some critique and personal preference is obvious, then that critic is bad at their job. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to listen to friends whose tastes you know line up with yours when you're deciding if you should see something; I think it doesn't make sense to trot those same friends out into third party convos if that third party has no idea who your friend is. 

Just gonna say that I disagree with you here.
Personal preference is personal preference.
Whether the person is IMNSHO'ing over a beer or they've gone to film school and never actually sold anything but has a commensurate large vocabulary to sound important with...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!