Sigh Barbie

Snarky

6 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I like Drinker, he's mostly on the ball as is Doomcock. Some of the others tend to err too much on the right wing side of the spectrum (not to the crazy end) which is their right but they tend to be a bit more biased. The best one is Ryan George and his pitch meetings. Those almost always hit it spot on.

I just don't get how Barbie and Oppenheimer ended up conflated. Wildly different movies with wildly different audiences. I'm more Barbie myself, and can't think of anything more dreary or tedious than a jingoistic biopic by a director I've never enjoyed a single film from. Yes even Batman.

I don't always agree with Drinker, but I do find his presentation entertaining.  Ryan's pitch meeting videos are the best, though.  Can't wait to see his take on Barbie.

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Near as I can tell, it's for no better reason than that they were released on the same weekend.  I'm not a movie hound by any means, but it feels like it's been a while since we've had a doubleheader release of two heavily promoted and anticipated movies.

That said, I was thwarted in my efforts to find out more by the overpowering amount of radioactive pink being lasered directly into my eyes every time I searched for anything Barbie-related.  Here's hoping that my retinae will recover and I'll shake the sickly green veil through which I now see the world.

I feel like... we need a Summer Blockbuster Part 2 event with two new movie genres that could take place within the City of Heroes world.

Someone get to work on that immediately.

1 hour ago, Parabola said:

Or Barbie has been added to a banned words list and you got caught in a sweep?

I think Mattel actually owns a trademark on the name Barbie.  Normally proper names like that don't qualify as legally distinct enough to merit a trademark, but Barbie as short or cutesy form of Barbara wasn't exactly commonplace until Mattel's dolls made it so...  thus trademarked.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Nerp, it is not banned since you can still make characters named Barbie.  Physicist Barbie, Sad Barbie, Nepotism Barbie, Conspiracy Barbie -- all available!

Yep.  Got nailed as well.   And at least one of the other one's did not get generic'd due to the name Barbie in their name, but not named in this thread.

So, an earlier Rad/Rad Corrupter concept I was screwing around with is reborn; Schrodinger's Kitty.

All sales of her action figure go to promoting science literacy.

Edited by lemming
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Left 1

23 minutes ago, lemming said:

Yep.  Got nailed as well.   And at least one of the other one's did not get generic'd due to the name Barbie in their name, but not named in this thread.

So, an earlier Rad/Rad Corrupter concept I was screwing around with is reborn; Schrodinger's Kitty.

All sales of her action figure go to promoting science literacy.

So, either we were reported by a player who read this thread but did not see the characters in game, or devs read this thread and pre-emptively generic-ed the names before anyone had a chance to report them.

Very interesting.  How very interesting.

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

OMG I cannot wait to get home and listen to this (No speakers or headphones allowed at work)

then again reading video game forums are sort of not allowed either 😕

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I don't plan to see the movie, even though I feel a draw to go, because it's likely to conflict with cherished parts of my childhood. That being said, almost all my characters have inspirations from Barbie behind them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I just don't get how Barbie and Oppenheimer ended up conflated. Wildly different movies with wildly different audiences. I'm more Barbie myself, and can't think of anything more dreary or tedious than a jingoistic biopic by a director I've never enjoyed a single film from. Yes even Batman.

People want to go to the movies and they want to spend cash.  Going out is a celebration.  Barbie is enough to pull in disparate Grrrl fans (if only because certain demo said boycott), younger more innocent fans, older ladies who have fond memories, and die hard M Robbie fans.  My opinion.  Then Oppenheimer gives an option to grumpy ancient cerebrals. (No, I'm not leaving my crypt.  Went for Renfield.  Still need to see Rocket, violent little fuzzy) or future grumpt old cerebrals.  It is a train wreck of science horror drama and angst.  Perfect alt side for non barbie watchers.  

Bottom line.  It was the weekend and people got enough of an excuse to sit in a cool theatre. Then there was buzz so people are like, well if my friends are going...

Edited by Snarky

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Well, that was a fast generic-ed name.

My complaint is not that it was generic-ed.  My complaint is that it was generic-ed when no one could have possibly seen it, so clearly someone reported me from this post in the forum.

I have warned you.  The hunters are out there.  Wretched creatures.

Here is a possible crossover...

Vampire Hunter DD?

Evil Breed: The Legend of Samhain (2003) - Watch Online | FLIXANO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

I listened to this.  It was...not bad.  But as someone who spent a few chunks of time trying to personally copy Johnny.... AI has (not surprisingly) no soul.  What makes Johnny a great singer is not his pitch but his inflection and delivery.  That is why he is engaging, he is singing TO you.  The AI is just making noise.  With a perfect singer (especially one with little charisma) this might not be noticeable.  But with the GOAT?  Well, well done that the lyrics included I am plastic....

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I have warned you.  The hunters are out there.  Wretched creatures.

Here is a possible crossover...

Vampire Hunter DD?

Evil Breed: The Legend of Samhain (2003) - Watch Online | FLIXANO

Absolutely not.  Morally, there is no way I can support a movie with Richard Grieco in it.

• Haha 3

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

So, either we were reported by a player who read this thread but did not see the characters in game, or devs read this thread and pre-emptively generic-ed the names before anyone had a chance to report them.

Very interesting.  How very interesting.

As an altaholic, this thread is dangerous to my sobriety.

Let's see what happens....

Screenshot 2023-07-24 133859-2.png

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Nerp, it is not banned since you can still make characters named Barbie.  Physicist Barbie, Sad Barbie, Nepotism Barbie, Conspiracy Barbie -- all available!

Perhaps given the current thread you should adjust one of the words in your signature Yomo.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

You could name a character via the original OG version which inspired Barbie. And yes, the original was a high-end call girl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild_Lilli_doll

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm surprised no one has pitched "Headless Barbie".  I can't tell you how many plastic Barbie dolls I saw without their plastic heads.  It's like a rite of passage for little girls (or maybe their little brothers).  We do have a headless costume option after all...

(And no, I never liked the Barbie franchise, so I won't be making one.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I like Drinker, he's mostly on the ball as is Doomcock. Some of the others tend to err too much on the right wing side of the spectrum (not to the crazy end) which is their right but they tend to be a bit more biased. The best one is Ryan George and his pitch meetings. Those almost always hit it spot on.

Basically influencer marketing intentionally played up the contrasts between the two so as to make it a bit of not just a competition in terms of the differences of the movies but associate differences with the demographics and their real world views who may or may not watch either movie.  It is/was a perfect storm to play on mass market gullibility.

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

They're just manually being generic'd currently.  Anyone really thinking this was a good idea to make characters (outside of just forum mirth) from the name of a powerful corporation's trademarked/copyrighted toy during the peak of its movie's run in a game that walks the thin line of trying to remain up and not getting itself in trouble to where the delicate truce with NCSoft would put in question was deluding themselves really.  

Edited by Sanguinesun
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Composite Barbie?  Make use of the asymmetrical legs and arms and different skintone full masks.  titan/bio?

Discontinued Barbie?  What era were space rings and LED clothing were popular?  beam/whatever

Barbie Q Pork?  I bet you never used the police stuff earnestly before.  so why start now with a fire armor whatever pink flames.  pistol/fire sent right there

• Like 1