Secondaries: What I Don't Get

Herotu

Is anybody able to help me out here? I need to find a way to straighten this stuff in my mind.

I understand the secondaries on;

• Defenders (ranged damage, easy!) ,
  • Corrupters ("Affinities", bleh! Horrible, but ye I kinda get it),* and
  • ALL Melee Classes, Sentinel - damage/defence or vice versa, nice and simple!

... but it all starts to go awry when I try to comprehend these iffy "Manipulation" and to a lesser extent "Assault" sets.

My questions:

1. The reason I don't understand "Assault" sets: Am I supposed to just pick the melee OR the ranged powers, depending on whether I intend to hang around at the back or jump into melee? 
  2. The reason I don't understand Manipulation sets: what is being manipulated? Is my primary set being manipulated? Am I being manipulated? Am I supposed to manipulate my enemy with these powers somehow? My instinct says it should be the primary set, via powers such as "build up" or "aim" or "power boost" or "boost range". Those all make sense. But melee abilities in "Manipulations "seem... like they aren't what it says on the tin, you know? Like the non-pet powers in Mastermind primaries.

I'm not going to suggest removing any powers, but I do like neatness. Why are melee powers in manipulation sets? Should the manipulation sets get renamed to be "Potpourri" or "Hotchpotch" or "Hot Mess" powersets instead?

Maybe it's OCDC** or something. Is there a way to make it all make sense without using the words "Headcanon" or "Pretend"?

*sometimes I like an Oxford comma, sometimes not.

**METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Edited by Herotu
  • Confused 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

So, dominators, with their assault sets.  IMO you take both ranged and melee attacks.  The melee attacks do more damage than their ranged counterparts (in general) but it's only safe for a Dom in melee once things are locked down, so sometimes starting at range is a good thing.

• Like 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

The reason I don't understand Manipulation sets: what is being manipulated? Is my primary set being manipulated? Am I being manipulated? Am I supposed to manipulate my enemy with these powers somehow? My instinct says it should be the primary set, via powers such as "build up" or "aim" or "power boost" or "boost range". Those all make sense. But melee abilities in "Manipulations "seem... like they aren't what it says on the tin, you know? Like the non-pet powers in Mastermind primaries.

You're overthinking.  The word before the "manipulation" in the powerset name isn't telling you what the powers do.  They can do various things.  It's telling you HOW they do it.   It's basically just the theme of that powerset.  I suspect they settled on naming the powersets this way because there's no other category that really describes what's in those powersets.  They not all ranged blasts, melee strikes, controls, buffs, or debuffs.  They are potentially any of those things.  The only thing tying them together is HOW they work (e.g. by manipulating atomic particles, the minds of others, or plants, to name a few).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

The reason I don't understand "Assault" sets: Am I supposed to just pick the melee OR the ranged powers, depending on whether I intend to hang around at the back or jump into melee? 

The melee powers on a ranged character are for when the enemy closes on you (for the most part).

Not all "assault" secondaries are the same (obviously).

I might get 1 or two melee attacks in a dominator secondary, but I am already fighting at a range so I tend to go with the ranged attacks.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

The reason I don't understand Manipulation sets: what is being manipulated? Is my primary set being manipulated? Am I being manipulated? Am I supposed to manipulate my enemy with these powers somehow? My instinct says it should be the primary set, via powers such as "build up" or "aim" or "power boost" or "boost range". Those all make sense. But melee abilities in "Manipulations "seem... like they aren't what it says on the tin, you know? Like the non-pet powers in Mastermind primaries.

You are dominating/manipulating your opponents.

Perhaps named manipulation to imply the dominating so it wouldn't be confused with Domination.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

Should the manipulation sets get renamed

Badly named? Apparently, so.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

Why are melee powers in manipulation sets?

The dominators are a mutation of the controller archetype with blaster backup powers..

Basically, the Dominator secondary is a combination of the Primary and secondary blaster sets.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

From a building standpoint, having a mixed of ranged and melee powers can be good as it can let you slot different sets for different set bonuses. If you don't want the assault/melee I think you can always skip them, but from my personal preference and building philosophy more options are always nice to have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I got a fire/fire tanked named Purrmahfrawst because i dont like ice armor.  everythings blue/white colored

dont get hung up on names or damage types or youll start asking what the incendiary ammo is made of coming out a pistol/fire sent

On 7/25/2023 at 8:41 AM, Herotu said:

The reason I don't understand "Assault" sets: Am I supposed to just pick the melee OR the ranged powers, depending on whether I intend to hang around at the back or jump into melee? 

They're hybrid sets, and named to reflect that : Blast (ranged) <-> Assault (mixed) <-> Melee (hand to hand).  Which powers you pick depends on your playstyle, though having a mix of both is nice.

Similar with the Manipulaton sets:

Melee <-> Manipulation <-> Control

Manipulation also has some utility in it though (build-up, sustains, etc)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:41 AM, Herotu said:

I don't understand "Assault" sets: Am I supposed to just pick the melee OR the ranged powers, depending on whether I intend to hang around at the back or jump into melee? 

You can certainly build your characters however you like, but the idea is that, as a dominator, you lock down enemies and make them your playthings;  You may want to do your damage from range, or you may want to take the risk, (albeit lessened thanks to your control abilities), to close to melee range and deal even more damage.

I don't understand Manipulation sets: what is being manipulated?

In the broadest sense, what you are "manipulating" is the element or type of ability associated with the set - fire, ice, martial arts, etc.  Those powers are there to compliment your ranged blast attacks and also to compensate for when the enemy closes in.

Corrupters ("Affinities", bleh! Horrible, but ye I kinda get it),* and

A Corruptor's secondary set if buff/support.  The sets having names like "Nature Affinity" is merely there for flavor.  If you want to be more literal, it is simply an area your character happens to have a talent for.

Doms are great because you can get a bit of everything, melee, ranged and control.  That's a feature not a bug!  That said, some power sets do better ranged or better melee, or can be skewed towards one or the other if you so choose via secondary pool powers, for example.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝