De-gendering costume items

Scutt

Or if anything, just allowing both genders access to all of the costume bits. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first or only one to ever suggest this, but being a fan of creating androgynous characters it would be simply amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

More costume items for the different characters? I'm for it. However, I don't know if you know this or if you have a different (or maybe even better) method of making an androgynous character, but a trick I learned was to take the female model and minimize the chest. (I used this to make an ice elemental character back on Live before the devs introduced the surgeons which let players use different character models on the same character.) Makes for an excellent base for an androgynous character. (Especially since it seems females get more access to costume items. I don't know if they do, it just seems that way to me.)

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Rudra said:

More costume items for the different characters? I'm for it. However, I don't know if you know this or if you have a different (or maybe even better) method of making an androgynous character, but a trick I learned was to take the female model and minimize the chest. (I used this to make an ice elemental character back on Live before the devs introduced the surgeons which let players use different character models on the same character.) Makes for an excellent base for an androgynous character. (Especially since it seems females get more access to costume items. I don't know if they do, it just seems that way to me.)

Oh trust me I know all about that. I usually push the shoulders out a fair amount as well as reducing the hips and increasing the waist diameter

• Thumbs Up 2

I imagine that this would be included in any CC overhaul for sure. As it stands though, the game is coded: Male, Female, & Huge, but it wouldn't take Too much (for one with the talent / tools) to take some of what's in one group and copy it to the other with the appropriate modifications.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

I imagine that this would be included in any CC overhaul for sure. As it stands though, the game is coded: Male, Female, & Huge, but it wouldn't take Too much (for one with the talent / tools) to take some of what's in one group and copy it to the other with the appropriate modifications.

I have heard that the game code is horribly antiquated, so i cannot imagine how difficult this would be

1 minute ago, Scutt said:
1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

I have heard that the game code is horribly antiquated, so i cannot imagine how difficult this would be

In this case, it is less a question of the game code, and more of taking existing models and texture maps, and adapting them to a different scale and model. Still a whole lot of work, especially for the texture maps, but not the problem of broken code.

• Like 2

I wish.

Gods how I wish.

My lady magi are *still* waiting, literal years after the pieces were added for the male model, to get the rest of the Oranbegan bits ported over to the female side of the CC... The horned gloves, the Death Mage back spikes and more elaborate kilt, the shoulder piece with the little capelet... I've long since lost any real hope of getting them, but I still bring it up about once a year. I figure a reminder that at least one person still wants them can't hurt. 

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

I wish.

Gods how I wish.

My lady magi are *still* waiting, literal years after the pieces were added for the male model, to get the rest of the Oranbegan bits ported over to the female side of the CC... The horned gloves, the Death Mage back spikes and more elaborate kilt, the shoulder piece with the little capelet... I've long since lost any real hope of getting them, but I still bring it up about once a year. I figure a reminder that at least one person still wants them can't hurt. 

Keep the faith! 

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

In this case, it is less a question of the game code, and more of taking existing models and texture maps, and adapting them to a different scale and model. Still a whole lot of work, especially for the texture maps, but not the problem of broken code.

Again, I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to accomplish this. I am sure SilverAgeFan, over on rebirth, would have a bit to say about this

Edited by Scutt

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

I wish.

Gods how I wish.

I just want skirts! Well, and a number of other items, but skirts!

Edited by Scutt

31 minutes ago, honoroit said:

the masks for carnival stuff are only available on the female character model.

some of them are quite fancy, and would work on the others.

In cases like this, as with many of the other costume pieces, I don't think it could be a matter of having to remap it to a different frame, as the differences between them, especially in terms of a head or face, is pretty non-existent

• Like 1

I always wanted the Female "short sleeved tights" chest piece for the other models for some time. There's also weird stuff like you can have the Tanker chest option with a sleeveless jacket with the Huge and Female body models but not for the Male models for some reason.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:15 PM, Scutt said:

The term would be "Spaghettified" when talking about the original code. IDK how much they've "DeSpaghettified" it since then, but yeah, any change of that nature would be real 'fun' from a coding standpoint. Even back on live I recall them saying it was horrible. IDK if it's people not commenting their code, optimizing properly, or what. I guess it all depends on the culture of the original team.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

6 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

The term would be "Spaghettified" when talking about the original code. IDK how much they've "DeSpaghettified" it since then, but yeah, any change of that nature would be real 'fun' from a coding standpoint. Even back on live I recall them saying it was horrible. IDK if it's people not commenting their code, optimizing properly, or what. I guess it all depends on the culture of the original team.

I had heard that term before, but it didn't come to mind. I'm not a coder per se, but I am interested in it on a pedestrian level and I'd be curious to see what improvements have been made in that arena

5 hours ago, Scutt said:
12 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I had heard that term before, but it didn't come to mind. I'm not a coder per se, but I am interested in it on a pedestrian level and I'd be curious to see what improvements have been made in that arena

I believe that the CC is somewhat separate from the rest of the game code, as there was a stand-alone costume creator (available in Korea) back during Legacy. This does not mean that it's code is also not a mess. :) 

Adding costume pieces to any of the body types can run afoul of breaking existing costume pieces just because of the location in the drop-down. It why new stuff is usually tacked onto the end.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Just now, BronzeElephant said:

Are they like the Outcast tees? That what I’m thinking about. 

It has a high collar, in that it partially covers the neck, like the two belly t-shirt options females also have. Yes, females do need a "collared" t-shirt like the male model has, but they do have a t-shirt.

6 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I believe that the CC is somewhat separate from the rest of the game code, as there was a stand-alone costume creator (available in Korea) back during Legacy. This does not mean that it's code is also not a mess. 🙂

Adding costume pieces to any of the body types can run afoul of breaking existing costume pieces just because of the location in the drop-down. It why new stuff is usually tacked onto the end.

The CC would Have to be a separate entity now that I think about it as otherwise the ICON app (Titan exclusive?) wouldn't likely have been a thing I would think.

Exactly, that's because just about everything we interact with is using an array / database that for the longest time had a set structure. Assuming that the original coders didn't concern themselves with looking 10 years down the road, then they likely hardcoded a lot of stuff, forcing an addition to be appended to the existing database. 

• Retired Developer
On 10/15/2023 at 6:19 PM, Coyotedancer said:

I wish.

Gods how I wish.

If you PM me a list of every part in question, omitting textures if that's the only difference, formatted as:

Upper Body > Robes > CostumePartName (geometryFileName.geo/CostumePartName)

Whatever > Whatever > (geometry name from .costume file)

I'll take a look at them. I'm assuming female NPCs of cot don't exist that have them already?