World War 2 in CoH?

Ultimo

So, I've made and AE arc set in WW2 (The World at War, if you want to try it), and populated it with heroes and villains of my own creation.  However, I would like to include any 'canon' City of Heroes characters of that time, and I just don't know any.  I had thought the Reichsman was a WW2 character, but it turns out he's from another universe.

Does anyone know what characters were around in WW2, according to CoH lore?  Anyone know where I might find info about them (appearance, powers, etc.)?

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Sand_Kings

i used this as bg lore for an arc long ago, but none of the guys are named. I can’t remember if M1 was one of them or not but I scripted him as one.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Tank_Badge

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The wiki page for the canon timeline has some details if you check the 1930s to 1950s range, but tends to only mention the leaders of organizations. The various pages tend to lack pictures or powers information, so you're still going to be making a lot up. Regardless, here's a list of the groups I'm aware of:

Axis:

• The Storm Korps, lead by Eisensturm (Ironstorm), who kidnapped the King of England, but was defeated by the Dawn Patrol
  • The Imperial Wind, lead by The Lord of Frosts, who were Japan's Pacific strike force and refused to accept Japan's surrender. He was ultimately killed years later by Captain Volcano. Edit: I misread the wiki page while skimming it. The Lord of Frosts actually killed Captain Volcano months after Japan's surrender, after years of fighting each other. His current whereabouts are unknown.
  • The Fifth Column, with Requiem, Vandal, and Nosferatu as the original leaders. Colleen Nelson's arc goes into Requiem's backstory and has names of some heroes he tangled with.
  • Arakhn, who told Requiem where to find the Shadow Cyst to become a Nictus, though I'm uncertain if she was an active combatant in WWII. Leader of the Nictus, most likely in charge of the 1920s secret society The Path of the Dark
  • The Center, who was mostly Mussolini's lapdog at the time. I can't recall which arcs expand on his past at the moment, unfortunately. 

Allies: 

• The Dawn Patrol, England's equivalent to the Freedom Phalanx
  • The Freedom Phalanx, who joined the war after Germany and Japan respectively attacked Independence Port and Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941 
  • The 1st Hero Brigade, which includes Captain Volcano and M1
  • Atlas, who died defending Independence Port on December 7th. War was declared the next day.
  • Thunderhead, who fought in Europe and North Africa. Retired now, but kidnapped by the Fifth Column in the arc Ubelmann the Unknown.
  • The Sand Kings, as Cranebump mentioned above. Lead by Dream Doctor, saboteurs against the Nazis, a strike team of the 1st Hero Brigade

'Neutral':

• President Marchand, leading the Rogue Isles. Though neutral, his armies fought the Fifth Column to placate the Allies.

The Historical Heroes and Villains page has some more characters you could use that I haven't listed. I think Arachnos was involved in WWII, but I can't remember for sure. 

Edit: I somehow forgot about Lord Nemesis becoming Emperor of America. Although it happened after most of the action was over, it's still probably pretty relevant in Primal Earth's WWII history classes

Edited by VeiledOwl
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 4:51 PM, Ultimo said:

...However, I would like to include any 'canon' City of Heroes characters of that time, and I just don't know any. ...

Does anyone know what characters were around in WW2, according to CoH lore?  Anyone know where I might find info about them (appearance, powers, etc.)?

Hmm...WW2 characters...WW2 characters...why do I feel like I know of one...

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a23a7c0b5f3b3edec84524f7b5c772c9.jpg

Edited by Techwright
alter picture size

Comprehensive list.

Am I misremembering, but wasn't Talos around in WWII? And thus the Teal Serpent?

One of the earliest publicity videos for the game featured Statesman as a "back in the day" thing which I got a sense of was very 1930s Depression era. That I think had some other heroes in it of the era.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I forgot. I used the Storm Korps in my Leviathan arc.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

12 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Am I misremembering, but wasn't Talos around in WWII? And thus the Teal Serpent?

If you want some cognitive dissonance, go look up the history plaque on the east side of Talos talking about it marking the street Spanky Rabinowitz grew up on, and then look at the other history plaques that showed Spanky was able to breathe water, because he grew up on a street in Talos before Talos was raised up out of the water.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

If you want some cognitive dissonance, go look up the history plaque on the east side of Talos talking about it marking the street Spanky Rabinowitz grew up on, and then look at the other history plaques that showed Spanky was able to breathe water, because he grew up on a street in Talos before Talos was raised up out of the water.

I was unaware, but tha'ts a good find!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

13 hours ago, Techwright said:

Hmm...WW2 characters...WW2 characters...why do I feel like I know of one...

image.thumb.png.440fac380d910a846df76f47c278a6c4.png

If you want to create a WWII character with a suitable name, pick up a book on WWII Aircraft Nose Art.

You'll find a shit ton of inspiration there.

And pretty pictures of Vargas girls

I have combed Redside damned thoroughly over the years.  I cannot recall anything important mentioned about WW1 or WW2.  There may have been some flavor text or a clicked on message box that I am missing/forgetting.  

Now keep in mind CoH was nicely written with a decent world backstory.   Many of the big organizations have been around a long time.  Some for millennia.  Other big organizations were obviously inspired by real world organizations of past decades.  All of these “spicy ingredients” can be pulled from the supply cabinet and thrown into the jambalaya of your own storytelling. Family in WW2?  CoT? Midnighters? Silver age Heroes and Villains?  You get the idea. 

17 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Comprehensive list.

One of the earliest publicity videos for the game featured Statesman as a "back in the day" thing which I got a sense of was very 1930s Depression era. That I think had some other heroes in it of the era.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

From the paragonwiki page:

He called himself Talos (pronounced "TAY-los"), though the newspapers preferred the more descriptive, “Terrific Titan.” Standing well over 300 feet tall, Talos was the epitome of titanic heroism as he battled to defend Paragon City. Throughout the 50’s and 60’s, he steadfastly rose to the challenge of combating giant monstrosities. He became the city’s newest marvel and champion. Yet deep mystery surrounded his true identity. Even more astonishing was his ability to vanish after battle. A profoundly enigmatic hero, journalists, historians and scholars had only his cryptic utterances for clues to his origin: “For thousands of years, I have been a protector of humanity.” The only certainty about Talos was his almost mystical connection to a young boy named Michael McVey. Whenever the youngster was imperiled, Talos would appear to save the day.

In the last climatic battle against his arch foe, the Chimera, Talos and the serpentine beast clashed beneath the waters of the bay. A mighty battle ensued, shaking Paragon City to its foundations, tearing a giant rift in the ocean floor from which earth and lava rose to form an island. Known today as Talos Island, it is said that both Talos and the Chimera are still locked in mortal combat within its stony embrace. Decades later, Talos’ heroism had faded out of memory and into urban legend. Despite countless articles, photographs, and movie clips featuring the heroic exploits of the “Terrific Titan,” most citizens have now relegated Talos to the dusty bins of folklore.

During the 1980’s, with dollar signs in their eyes, developers seized the financial opportunity of an island so close to Paragon City. Thus began the Talos Island land boom. Within a matter of months, the once barren island was abuzz with construction sites. As a publicity stunt, the real estate moguls even agreed to name the island after the city’s mythic giant. An anonymous benefactor donated the huge statue, which now stands several hundred yards from the island.

So if Talos was still around in the '60s, before the battle that created Talos Island, then Spanky's history — "Spanky Rabinowitz was born in 1878 to Aaron and Maria Rabinowitz and grew up on Talos Island. He was elected to at least four terms as Mayor of Paragon City." doesn't fit, because he would have been an adult decades before Talos Island even existed.

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I really loved the videos. They brought the signature heroes to life. I didn't even realise they were the signature heroes for ages - well, I didn't know what signature heroes were!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Frozen Burn said:

Nemesis has been around since at least the late 1800s, so he would be around for WWII, and probably pulling some strings behind it.  😄

WW2 was a Nemesis plot.  He wanted a global military industrial complex he could control.  And got it.

4 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Which one?

it is all one big system.  which is why ww2 german scientists became soviet/american.  the beast needs tech, bodies, and a fearful paying audience....

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerer of death's construction

In the fields, the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord, yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor, yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait till their judgement day comes, yeah!

Now in darkness, world stops turning
Ashes where their bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour

Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees, the war pigs crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing, spreads his wings
Oh lord, yeah!

Edited by Snarky
  • Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Comprehensive list.

It's already been said in the thread, but the wiki page for Talos states that he was active in the 50s and 60s. It's possible he could've been involved in the tail end of WWII, but I would say he most likely wasn't. Which is a shame, really - Ally propagandists would've loved his presence on the battlefield against the Germans due to the parallels they could draw between Talos and Atlas's massive size. There'd be propaganda posters with Talos stomping Fifth Columnists with labels like 'Atlas's Retribution' or 'Atlas's Second Coming' all over the place.

As for the Teal Serpent, according to one of the Pupil history plaques, it states that Atlas defeated him after rescuing the citizens from the Teal Serpent's poison gas bombs, but 'It is unknown whether or not the Teal serpent survived.' Which implies it was an extremely violent beatdown from Atlas, and no one would be surprised if he was dead. Either way, that ID was retired since he was never seen again after 1939.

This doesn't necessarily preclude his presence from WWII, though: we've seen villains come back from the dead before, like when Blue Steel murdered the Clockwork King. Since the Teal Serpent's death was merely presumed, one could make a case that he simply rebranded due to injuries making his former combat style untenable. Life support armor, maybe? There's no in-game evidence of anything in this paragraph, just my speculation, but the Teal Serpent would certainly have an increased motive and desire for Atlas's death following his final battle. From a plot standpoint, you could easily tie his new ID into collaborating with the Axis, biding his time for two years, and having direct involvement in the Invasion of Independence Port. Atlas's death defending the bridge could certainly count as the Teal Serpent finally achieving vengeance.

Edited by VeiledOwl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

it is all one big system.  which is why ww2 german scientists became soviet/american.  the beast needs tech, bodies, and a fearful paying audience....

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerer of death's construction

In the fields, the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord, yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor, yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait till their judgement day comes, yeah!

Now in darkness, world stops turning
Ashes where their bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour

Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees, the war pigs crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing, spreads his wings
Oh lord, yeah!

Now, now, Ozzie. You don't really remember all those lyrics.:-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

WW2 was a Nemesis plot.  He wanted a global military industrial complex he could control.  And got it.

Eisenhower warned us, didn't he?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

"Spanky Rabinowitz was born in 1878 to Aaron and Maria Rabinowitz and grew up on Talos Island. He was elected to at least four terms as Mayor of Paragon City." doesn't fit, because he would have been an adult decades before Talos Island even existed.

Oh, man...That takes me back into some of the lore dives I've done, looking for fertile ground to AE script. Couldn't really figure out how to work in some sort of Spanky arc (legacy, most likely). There's just so much there, honestly. I ended up with an arc that involved a time travel run-in with the Sand Kings, one in which the player meets M1, but can't do anything to stop his death (for reasons similar to Edith Keeler in Trek: ToS). The arc's gone now (good thing-looks like I shoehorned M1 into a group he didn't belong to), but it was fun to envision the team. Had a Brit bowman (Eagle Eye). Can't recall the others. In the end, it didn't fit what I was trying to do in the bigger, metastory, so I dropped it, and found a way to work the Storm Korps into what I was doing (the Leviathan story, below). Worked out better in the end, but always wished I'd taken another stab at the Sandies. In any case, that list of historical heros and vills is just a goldmine of ideas. Maybe when I get back on the ever-bucking scripthorse I'll do some homages to those bygone ages. I got into comics during their Bronze Age. But I've read enough Silver Age stuff to take a shot at some epic, cheesy dialogue, in a world less gray.

The Dynamic Dialogue of Smilin' Stan Lee | Marvel

Yay bo, indeed...:-)

Edited by cranebump