Former Live Devs

cronus

Hypotheticals? I'd love to see Black Pebble, Sexy Jay, War Witch and or Ex Libris tried HC or contributed to it.

Realistically?  If they did, we'd likely never know.  Privacy being a large issue, as a lot of Paragon Studios people had their RL names attached where many folks here do not.  (2012 was well before doxxing was a "Holy crap, what did that troll try to do to you?" kind of outcome.  That's not the case today.)  Also: working in a Union shop as a number of Development Studios are organizing now, doing non-union work in the same field as a hobby or side-hustle is a big "neoup."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am not a chat bot, I think.  I just drink a lot of caffeine and type too damn much.

Coming back to Homecoming?  Welcome home!  Here’s a Field Guide!

• Game Master

As far as I'm aware there are no live devs about. There certainly aren't any involved on the HC team in any capacity. There may be one or two with player accounts, but we'll never know. A lot of them are still covered by their NDA they signed originally and I know a few of them have gone on to work for other studios and other projects. I vaguely remember ages ago when one of the original devs was asked if they knew about us they seemed not to know as their reaction was along the lines of "Really? That's nice" and they changed the topic.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 3

I know for a fact that at least one former Cryptic dev has posted on the Homecoming forums. I remember his non-dev forum name from the retail forums and I've seen that name here on the Homecoming forums.

Also, Bree from MoP made a statement in one of their podcasts that heavily implied that at least some of the Council of Thirteen are former CoH devs.

And no, I'm not going to post the links. The last time I did I was attacked by the DDL and then a mod locked the thread.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

Am i the only one that read the title and wondered if some were now undead?

Surely if they were formerly live they would simply be dead

but yes, the title did give me that vibe!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

5 minutes ago, uninventive said:

Look at you who knows so much.  Just so happens that they're only MOSTLY dead.

image.thumb.png.6fe08dbc91b286180c8e774a26ea42fc.png

that depends on how you define "Mostly"

Are you suggesting that of all the devs, over 50% are now deceased? Or are you suggesting that each dev, when taken at a macro level, is more dead than alive?

This seems to be apposite;

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

• Game Master
11 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I know for a fact that at least one former Cryptic dev has posted on the Homecoming forums. I remember his non-dev forum name from the retail forums and I've seen that name here on the Homecoming forums.

Also, Bree from MoP made a statement in one of their podcasts that heavily implied that at least some of the Council of Thirteen are former CoH devs.

And no, I'm not going to post the links. The last time I did I was attacked by the DDL and then a mod locked the thread.

Probably for the best. No policy against it, but if someone wants to remain quiet and under the radar then that's their right.

And yeah, we lock threads that get out of hand. Sometimes the anonymity of the internet can be a curse as well as a blessing. As my mother always said when I was a child, "just because you can say something doesn't mean you should" 😛 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, considering how we ended up being able to play the game again yaaar matey, and the fact the devs were/are under NDA types of things and future prospects of employment being affected if there's suspicion it might have been YOU, I'm not surprised that one previous dev ("prevdev"?) wanted anonymity, I think it'd only be prudent. 

But I'll also guess that a fair number of them probably at least peeked back in, for the hell of it.  I of course have no evidence of that.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yeah, considering how we ended up being able to play the game again yaaar matey, and the fact the devs were/are under NDA types of things and future prospects of employment being affected if there's suspicion it might have been YOU, I'm not surprised that one previous dev ("prevdev"?) wanted anonymity, I think it'd only be prudent. 

But I'll also guess that a fair number of them probably at least peeked back in, for the hell of it.  I of course have no evidence of that.

The first rule of NDA is you never mention the NDA 😛 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snarky said:

Shhh.  You’ll have people wondering if I was a Dev.   

you left the "iant" off the end of that. Your abbreviations are confusing people!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

Oddly enough, I almost threw in a joke about you being a Dev.  It really sucks when you have psychic powers but never pay attention to them!

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 12/31/2023 at 6:22 AM, GM Crumpet said:

I vaguely remember ages ago when one of the original devs was asked if they knew about us they seemed not to know as their reaction was along the lines of "Really? That's nice" and they changed the topic.

A few years back, I met someone who was at Paragon in 2012. He was aware of Homecoming, and happy it was there, but that's about all he said about it. (And he was amused I still had my lanyard from the 2012 Player Summit, heh.)

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

On 1/1/2024 at 9:00 AM, Snarky said:

We know you aren't.  Vampires are undev.

• Haha 3
  • Moose 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, cronus said:

Does anyone know if any former Devs from live have commented on/tried this version of CoH?

Would we want any former Devs on the current Dev team?

Who and why or why not?

I say you hire some of them. They are probably broke af and living in their Mom's house right now.

• Haha 1