Help, new player, never played before.

Niizzy

Hi! So, I never had the chance to play this game back in the day. Every time I saw something about it, it left me fascinated. I'm really glad to have the chance to play it! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and whatnot, but I didn't saw anything for new player introductions and I got the impression that the "help" part of the forum is for bugs and such and I didn't want to flood the ingame help chat. With that out of the way, I have some questions:

• When people are looking for teams, blue or blueside=heroes, right?
  • What DFB, TF, BAF stands for?
  • In this game, instead of the "normal" "LFP", people say "LFT", right?
  • If I want some help to do some missions, how should I properly ask for it?
  • Can I get all the powers from my 2 powersets?

Thats all the questions I had on top of my head for now. Again, if this is the wrong place to ask these things, sorry!

Thanks!

First, don't jump in groups that are dfb or dib, or any other sort of silly powerleveling. Have fun. Go to your origin contacts in the basement of the atlas building, if you're on blueside, and do missions and read the story arc context. Have fun. Learn about the game. Don't worry about if you're leveling too fast or slow or if powers suck. Spend time in the costume creator. Have fun.

Don't worry about trying to slot properly, or min/max, have fun. Slot those silly enhances that drop, or don't and sell them. Save up your cash. Read the forums, guides and advice about the archetype you pick. Have fun. Use the lfg channel to find people that are lf people in your level range to join their team, and try your hardest. If any jerk gives you a hard time, rare in this co?unity, leave and join another team. And have fun.

You'll be 20, then 30, then 40 before you know it. Ask questions in game, vets will all stop to help, and be glad to guide you. Explore the options menu to configure your keybinds or your display.

Spend time in the costume creator.

And have fun. And msg me anytime on excelsior for advice, tips, and guidance.

Hello there Niizzy!

Welcome to City,

to quickly answer some of your questions

Blueside is Heroes, Redside is Villains, than there are co-op zones where both sides can go and team up.

Also if your Character is a Vigilante or Rogue they can go to both blue and red side to team up, although Vigilantes act as Heroes for badges and other things, and Rogues for Villains.

DFB stands for Death from Bellow which is a popular TF (Task Force) for leveling Characters, note also on Redside (Villians) they are called SF, or Strike Forces

For more info on them I would suggest a visit to the Wiki

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Task_Force.

LFT stand for looking for Team, and as to how to ask, I would broadcast on the Looking for Group channel, and let people know what level your missions are at and what they are.

Yes you can end up taking all the powers from your Primary and Secondary, and have some left over for Pool, or Epic/Patron Pool powers.

I hope this helps!

Good Hunting

The Vortex Master

First, don't jump in groups that are dfb or dib, or any other sort of silly powerleveling. Have fun. Go to your origin contacts in the basement of the atlas building, if you're on blueside, and do missions and read the story arc context. Have fun. Learn about the game. Don't worry about if you're leveling too fast or slow or if powers suck. Spend time in the costume creator. Have fun.

Don't worry about trying to slot properly, or min/max, have fun. Slot those silly enhances that drop, or don't and sell them. Save up your cash. Read the forums, guides and advice about the archetype you pick. Have fun. Use the lfg channel to find people that are lf people in your level range to join their team, and try your hardest. If any jerk gives you a hard time, rare in this co?unity, leave and join another team. And have fun.

You'll be 20, then 30, then 40 before you know it. Ask questions in game, vets will all stop to help, and be glad to guide you. Explore the options menu to configure your keybinds or your display.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun doing me, using the powers that I want, the enhancements that I want and building the hero that I want, doing missions and reading everything. The first missions for Twinshot made me laught a lot. But I'm playing alone, while I'm trying to solo everything, right now I'm stuck on Veles cause I can't beat him alone, thats why I'm asking how to properly ask for help cause the chat doesn't seems to have anyone that never played before, I don't see anyone asking for help with these silly things so I felt strange about flooding the chat with this.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun doing me, using the powers that I want, the enhancements that I want and building the hero that I want, doing missions and reading everything. The first missions for Twinshot made me laught a lot. But I'm playing alone, while I'm trying to solo everything, right now I'm stuck on Veles cause I can't beat him alone, thats why I'm asking how to properly ask for help cause the chat doesn't seems to have anyone that never played before, I don't see anyone asking for help with these silly things so I felt strange about flooding the chat with this.

If you would like company in missions, click in the lfg chat tab and post something in the flavor of:

LvL "xx" missions in "xx zone" LFM! Anyone want in?

Let's say you're lvl 10 and your missions are in Kings row, it would be:

LvL 10 missions in Kings row, LFM! Anyone want in?

Or

LvL 10 twinshot arc missions, anyone want to join me? LF more!

LF is looking for, or LFM is looking for more. People will then message you asking to join, you click their name in the chAt box and invite.

Once they join click the missions drop down box and set the mission, and then everyone can see it.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I second everything Niizzy said. But don't be shy to use the Help channel if you have a random question of any sort when you're in game. And you can directly use Help or Looking for Group channels if all you want is help for a specific mission.

Also if I'm on I'll be happy to help when I can. My global name is @MunkiLord

• City Council

Welcome to Paragon City (or the Rogue Isles if you're the Villain type)!

City of Heroes has always been a welcoming and helpful community so don't be afraid to reach out for help any time.

If you run into any problems, please feel free to reach out to any of our Game Masters, preferably using our support system available here.

You may also find lots of good information and helpful people over on our Discord available here.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

There's nothing wrong with soloing, I did a lot of it when I first started playing and learned about how my character archetypes worked through the trial and error.  On the other hand, steamrolling with a team - which is something that can happen a lot - is a blast of a different sort and also worth searching out, if you're of a mind to.

Other than that I don't have a lot to offer past what every one else has already said, other than a "welcome!"

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I solo'd most of the way to my first 50 back on the live servers, and things are easier here thanks to the free Double XP, so I solo a lot here too.

I definitely recommend you don't power-level your first character.  It's far, far easier to figure out the ins and outs of picking powers and placing Enhancement Slots in them if you don't have to choose a dozen at once.  Take it slow.

Incidentally, DFB (Death From Below) is technically a Trial, not a Task Force.  The main difference between Trials and Task Forces is that Trials tend to be one long instanced mission, while Task Forces are broken up into a chain of smaller missions (but generally take longer than a single Trials to complete), and they're found in different tabs of the Looking For Group window.

BAF is the Behavioral Adjustment Facility Incarnate Trial, which is endgame content.  The Incarnate Trials are the closest thing the game has to Raids.  (I think.  I've actually never done a Raid in other games to compare)  I enjoy them a lot, and BAF is my favorite due to the Tower Defense sequence in the middle, but YMMV, of course.

And, also, welcome!  Welcome to my favorite game of all time - not my favorite MMO, not favorite video game, favorite game. :D

• Can I get all the powers from my 2 powersets?

Can? Yes. You will find few powersets have all powers which are worth taking. Sometimes it can be a good thing if a powerset has a number of skibbable powers. Not all builds are built to solo equally as well, but I had some issues on the arc you mentioned with even a solo friendly build.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

I recently did some testing and wondered about whether and what difference certain changes might make.

You will end up with a total of 24 powers in addition to the inherent powers (brawl, sprint, etc) and the inherent fitness powers (that you will get at level 2).  At what level what powers become available will depend on whether you are looking at primary, secondary, pool, or epic pool powers..

In any case, that is more than enough to get every power in both your primary and secondary sets if that is what you want to do.

When people are looking for teams, blue or blueside=heroes, right?

Blue = Hero

Red = Villain

Gold = Praetoria

What DFB, TF, BAF stands for?

DFB: "Death From Below", a Trial (teams only) that is very very fast, gives ridiculous amounts of XP, and drops really good enhancements.  You can run it several times.  If you get the "+100% XP" temporary power from the P2W vendor, you can typically hit level 10 or 11 in one run-through.  XP awards taper off after level 10, but an hour spent doing DFB can get you to 15th level easily enough.  Oh, and also, each time you finish DFB, you get to pick one of four buffs that lasts an entire week (or until you hit level 22).  Accuracy, Damage, Defense, or Recovery (the blue bar refill rate).  You can do DFB right from level 1.  :)

TF: a "Task Force".  These are big, storyline chains of missions.  You need to team up for them, and the same team stays together until it's done (even if people log off for a while).  There are several of these, and each one has a different minimum level.

BAF: this one I don't know.  :)

In this game, instead of the "normal" "LFP", people say "LFT", right?

LFT: "Looking for Team"

LFG: "Looking for Group"

And, you might also see LFM ("Looking for More"), when a team leader wants more people in their group.

If I want some help to do some missions, how should I properly ask for it?

In the Looking for Group channel, try: "<Archetype> <level> LFT Missions <faction>"

You can also join the global chat channel I'm trying to get started, for people looking to team up for a couple missions here and there: "Temporary Powers".

In your chat window, use this command: /chat_join Temporary Powers ... :)

Can I get all the powers from my 2 powersets?

Eventually, yes.  And still have room for a couple from various power pools, too (like being able to fly!!)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I would like to point out, it is acceptable to do other missions and stuff to level up and go back to take on a difficult mission later. Sometimes, an additional level can make the difference when taking on an Elite Boss. Fortunately, the missions are set at the level at which you took them, unless you out leveled the story arc, then they'd be set at the level cap for that arc. So, getting a level or 2 is a viable option for difficult missions, if teaming up is troublesome.

You can also auto complete missions if need be although there is a timer to how often that can be done.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Welcome to beautiful Paragon City, “Architecture Digest’s City of Abstract Office Buildings”

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

welcome to our city and hope you have fun being a hero or a villain

When people are looking for teams, blue or blueside=heroes, right?

Yes blue side means heroes and red side means viilains this is from the color scheme of the logon screens

What DFB, TF, BAF stands for?

These are the shortened names of trials or task forces some sued for Power leveling and some for incarnate or end game content

DFB =Death From below a 1-50 lower level trial

TF = Task force a series of missions versus tougher enemies basically a dungeon if you ever played WOW but over a series of missions a story arc basically

BAF = Behavioral Adjustment Facility trial a higher level 50+ arc used to level through end game content

and so on and so forth

In this game, instead of the "normal" "LFP", people say "LFT", right?

yeah eithers correct  really Looking for group Looking for team looking for people to chill with its all kosher  :D

If I want some help to do some missions, how should I properly ask for it?

Simply go into either Broadcast for the local zone or into the Looking for group channel by clicking on the button near the text panel and ask for help, this is a very open city of people and we are alwys willing to help as needed

make sure to ask for help with missions or if anyone can help teach you some stuff. also when you make a hero or villain you have the option to add the help me title to the character which will indicate you would like assistance in game

Can I get all the powers from my 2 powersets?

yes you can 1-38 if you don't choose any other travel or pool powers as theyre called is more the  enough choices to get all main powers and secondaries from 40-50 theres 4 more choices available which can include Epic pool choices so yes quite easily you can have all your powers

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling very welcome!

Last night I found a team (more like they found me, tbh) to run through KR missions and it was a blast! It looks like playing in a team is way more fun, and way more hard, than playing solo. I felt like I did nothing in the team, but we had fun. I'm really loving the game right now.

Also, I asked about how many powers I can get because I opted to make a normal human, so no flying, super jumps or super speeds for RP sake. I'll get the hang of things some way, Thanks everyone!

Also, I asked about how many powers I can get because I opted to make a normal human, so no flying, super jumps or super speeds for RP sake. I'll get the hang of things some way, Thanks everyone!

Pro Tip #1:  you can get Jetpack temporary flight powers.  It's literally equipment, not a superpower.

Pro Tip #2: get Ninja Run (or the Beast run one, maybe).  IT STACKS WITH SPRINT, and is almost as fast as an unslotted Superspeed.  I call it Ghetto Superspeed as a result.  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Pro Tip #1:  you can get Jetpack temporary flight powers.  It's literally equipment, not a superpower.

Pro Tip #2: get Ninja Run (or the Beast run one, maybe).  IT STACKS WITH SPRINT, and is almost as fast as an unslotted Superspeed.  I call it Ghetto Superspeed as a result.  :)

Yeah, I tried those but they don't go really well with my hero haha, it looks weird.

Also, its getting really hard to solo missions and I've been spamming "LFT" for 40 minutes and nobody invited for anything =[ it looks like nobody do missions, just those power level things.

Its getting really boring playing alone, sadly.