I'm so sad

16 minutes ago, mcbraggart said:

I just found out this was a thing.  I played when the game first launched and now when I'm trying to recreate my first character, the  name is already taken.

Try another shard, perhaps it's not taken there. You can also try and contact the player whose name you're seeking and ask if they're willing to part ways. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Or spell it in another fashion. For instance, one of my characters was Knighthawk on another server but that was taken on Excel. So i had to make it K N I G H T H A W K. Another of my characters has a 0 instead of an O and it looks fine.

Edited by Turric

Spaces, dashes ( - ), and other characters help

So does exercising the old grey matter and reimagining a name.

Also you may find that that name is available on a different shard. Did you check them all?

Welcome home

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

6 hours ago, mcbraggart said:

I just found out this was a thing.  I played when the game first launched and now when I'm trying to recreate my first character, the  name is already taken.

Welcome home!

You can use the chat command /get_global_name your_old_character_name to find the global name of the person who has the name.  Then you could drop them a polite in-game email to ask if they'd be willing to give up the name. Of course they might no longer be playing, or they might want to keep the name, but it doesn't do any harm to ask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

It may be time to turn on the inactive name policy. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

ooo... nobody "just says" that and walks away.  You might wanna prep for incoming. 🤪

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Left 1
  • Thumbs Right 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

23 minutes ago, ZemX said:

ooo... nobody "just says" that and walks away.  You might wanna prep for incoming. 🤪

You mean I might not be popular for having an opinion? Well that's never happened before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

50s are protected so if they’re 50 this accomplished nothing but yeah sure, doesn’t affect me 😀

• Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

10 hours ago, mcbraggart said:

At the very least, you could say what the character name is and what server you were trying to make the character on.

Dependant upon the server you are on, you could try this thread as well:

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, mcbraggart said:

Well “Biggus Dickus” was going to be popular 

• Haha 2
  • Microphone 2

4 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Welcome home!

You can use the chat command /get_global_name your_old_character_name to find the global name of the person who has the name.  Then you could drop them a polite in-game email to ask if they'd be willing to give up the name. Of course they might no longer be playing, or they might want to keep the name, but it doesn't do any harm to ask.

or they may offer to PvP you for the name, leading to a comic book style endeavour to get your old self back

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it may have also been a good time to reduce the number of initial character slots handed out to players. There's obviously been a huge influx of new/returning players and I am sure many proceeded to name hoard. Le sigh.

OP, I will say I've also come across this and took it as a challenge to find a new name etc. It will take a bit of getting used to but it'll be ok. I will never have a toon name where it's all caps with spaces between letters, ends in a 1, . or -. The worst is xX _____ Xx. No thanks :)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

or they may offer to PvP you for the name, leading to a comic book style endeavour to get your old self back

Ooooooh, bring the Arenas back into use! Two walk in, one walks out genericed!

• Haha 6

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Well “Biggus Dickus” was going to be popular 

I have a vewy good friend in Wome called Biggus Dickus

• Haha 3

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

He has a wife, you know.

Missus Dickus.

• Haha 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

14 hours ago, mcbraggart said:

Yea its common among mmos try putting a dash between or putting them together and capping certain letters.

14 hours ago, mcbraggart said:

I just wanted to point out that "Already Taken" is a pretty dumb name for a character unless you're creating a very stupid villain!

(you're welcome!) 😎

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

You mean I might not be popular for having an opinion? Well that's never happened before.

Opinions are great , ideas are marvelous 

stupid crap is unnecessary 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Opinions are great , ideas are marvelous 

stupid crap is unnecessary 

I assure you I had nothing to do with the policy that the HC team can turn on anytime they want.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

37 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I just wanted to point out that "Already Taken" is a pretty dumb name for a character unless you're creating a very stupid villain!

(you're welcome!) 😎

Multi Pass is another name that should be avoided (insert free to ride jokes here).  The hero guarding the bank should be named Access Denied. 

10 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I assure you I had nothing to do with the policy that the HC team can turn on anytime they want.

i supppose expecting you to understand what I calling stupid crap... is about as likely as expecting the guy who stopped past the crosswalk on a red to do anything besides just sit in the intersection waiting for the next green

• Thumbs Left 1