How do you feel about travel powers on your Soldiers?

I'm starting a new Wolf Spider Soldier.  I've never levelled one up before and I just can't shake the feeling that no travel power makes any sense.  Even something like Infiltration, where they run super fast and jump 5x their own height, feels very wrong.  These guys are supposed to basically be Cobra footsoldiers from G.I. Joe, right?  These folks shouldn't really have "super powers".  I want my guy to just be a guy with a gun, who gets good at it and survives well, but still just a guy with a gun.

And I'm cool with that and I can play him that way, nothing says I HAVE to get a travel power ... but CoX and especially CoV are designed with travel powers in mind - otherwise you're spending most of your time trying to traverse to get to the interesting missions, which gets old.  Instead, I wish that there were travel powers that made sense.  I'd really love for my guy to get a permanent jet pack for example, that would be fine - but the costume creator won't let me take one, so a flying guy would just be a flying guy.  Know what I mean?

Any thoughts welcomed.  Thanks for reading 🙂

Edited by Zombra

1 hour ago, Zombra said:

I'd really love for my guy to get a permanent jet pack for example, that would be fine - but the costume creator won't let me take one, so a flying guy would just be a flying guy.  Know what I mean?

Any thoughts welcomed.  Thanks for reading 🙂

The Costume Creator does have jet packs and tech-type wings that you can use and will activate when you turn on Fly.  There are:

• Jetpacks > Goldbricker Jetpack
  • Wings > 
    • KX-Komadori Wings
    • SK-2 Shrike Wings
    • Tech
    • Wonderful Wind-Up Wings
  • Backpacks > 
    • Freedom Corps Jet Pack
    • AB7 Afterburn
    • Vanguard w/Jetpack
    • Cosmic Rocket Pack
    • Rogers Rocket Pack
    • Rogers Rocket Pack w/Rings

Hopefully, you can find something in the list you like.  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zombra said:

Thank you @Frozen Burn 🙂

Sadly these backpacks do not seem to appear for my Arachnos Soldier.  The "Back Detail" button isn't there.  Am I doing something wrong?

You only get non-arachno looks from your other costume slots. The first slot is locked into Arachno mode.

But if you want something that takes you to a mission but doesn't look that much out of place check the P2W Disc travel power.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Sovera said:

You only get non-arachno looks from your other costume slots. The first slot is locked into Arachno mode.

But if you want something that takes you to a mission but doesn't look that much out of place check the P2W Disc travel power.

Oh, that's right.... i totally forgot Arachnos Soldiers/Widows have to have that locked in first costume.  DOH!  Thanks for catching that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for your replies everyone 💕

Yeah, looking over options I think the Rocket Board from P2W is probably the best move.  Maybe I can do temp jet packs in the meantime while I save up ..... uhhhh 1 million infamy??

27 minutes ago, Zombra said:

Thanks for your replies everyone 💕

Yeah, looking over options I think the Rocket Board from P2W is probably the best move.  Maybe I can do temp jet packs in the meantime while I save up ..... uhhhh 1 million infamy??

You can make that fast, check the merit selling in my newbie guide.

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

If I remember correctly, You can log out in Granville to get a flying pack that you can keep as long as you keep renewing the time by logging out in GV.

Or buy one for 5k at the P2W vendor.

What travel powers 😜 ... ya none of mine use travel powers.  I use the P2W athletic or ninja run paired with sprint and the steam pack if I need to get up somewhere I can' run and jump.  Plus mission teleporter when the money starts to roll in. 

To be fair it give it the more super soldier / Steve Rodgers feel to it. 

• Like 1

I don't have any objection to SoA having travel powers, BUT from a mechanical standpoint, they can be hard to fit into one's build, even if you skip several powers. Skip too many, and at some point, you're almost better off rolling a straight up dominator or stalker or mastermind.

At least, that's been my experience with my Widow so far (just hit lvl 41 and the only pool power I've taken so far is Hasten)

You can always look at it, as if your particular Spider isn't the average grunt. Perhaps they have access to comic booky high-tech items or magic items (jet boots, anti-grav belt, flight ring, etc...etc..). Or maybe they've studied a little magic, have a mutant talent, etc.. etc.. 

My Fortunata's  non-spider abilities come from her experimenting with magic she's stolen from various mystical villain groups (CoT, Carnies, etc..).  I even put it in her backstory :). 

On 2/9/2024 at 12:39 PM, BelleSorciere said:

I think it's a little silly to say VEATs are basically Cobra grunts. They're destined ones and hold their own against heroes and villains, alongside heroes and villains. You can justify anything you need.

Agreed, I think of them as being augmented into super soldiers. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:43 PM, Psiphon said:

Agreed, I think of them as being augmented into super soldiers. 

Widows are just straight up supers.  Unlike the soldiers both branches have access to psionic powers.

With respect to all VEATs, I often take Fly on all of them.  Some I take the Sorcery variant.  Usually this figures into their story.  I have a number of mutants who have the ability to Fly but that’s their only mutant ability so they use guns and such for offense.   I am running a night widow who is a sorceress (with the Sorcery pool) who joined the widows to learn more about how Ghost Widow got bound to Arachnos.  

Just got a Bane up to 50, and while I started with a travel power, I realized the build on what I wanted did not have space for it. So off it went and felt perfectly fine without it. I am able to clear the zones pretty smooth with athletic, sprint and swift.

Once page 7 comes out I will probably do the same with my Widow build.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

• 2 weeks later

As a followup, my Wolf found a Prismatic Aether and .... well let's just say the story goes he was on a mission to crack down on a cell of unregistered mystics and not all of the artifacts seized made it back to evidence lockup.  Flying carpet is so hilarious for this guy.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Edited by Zombra
  • Like 1

Unless I have a reason to not have a travel item, I generally buy one of the flight items for 1 million. That way I don't have to worry about recharging the flight pack and I am pretty sure that by 50 I will have spent at least a million to recharge it.