Unity Game Engine

Does anyone know if Unity Game Engine can open or use any of the city of heroes file formats?  For example, trying to load a zone like atlas park.

I assume it can't be done, but it doesn't hurt to ask because some people have come up with clever ways to do things.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

1 hour ago, GM Crumpet said:

I'm not a dev, but from what I can understand CoX uses a very bespoke engine that's not compatible with anything

I assumed so, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

1 hour ago, GM Crumpet said:

I'm not a dev, but from what I can understand CoX uses a very bespoke engine that's not compatible with anything

It's Cryptic's home brewed engine, and was developed for this game before those kind of things existed. So yeah, it's kind of where we're at. The only way to get a new engine is to redevelop from the ground up and that ain't gonna happen (nor should it IMO)

Now if we're talking CoH2...

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

9 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Some could even say it's barely compatible with itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Microphone 1

Excelsior

ExAstris - Arachnos Widow

Pulp Noir - Illusion/Psy Assault

Perspective - Illusion/TA

Madame Elena - Rad/Bio (Scrapper)

On 1/28/2024 at 2:53 AM, GM Crumpet said:

Hence the spaghetti code issue that's plagued the game the whole time. IDK how game engines work, coding wise, but I imagine that one who does understand it would say that the assets would have to be made compatible with the databases and so forth.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Hmm a CoH2 based on the U4 or U5 would be a god send. Other games with "spaghetti code" have managed to upgrade graphics to try and update it for todays generations. WoW comes to mind as one of the oldest, along with Runescape, and Everquest. I get it would be a labor of love but man, can you imagine this game running on UNREAL? Would open it up to a world of new fans. 

World of Warcraft 2004 vs 2014 - Imgur.jpg

image_2024-01-29_201403599.png

old eq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

DaethStaR_PNG.png

12 minutes ago, xDaethStaRx said:

Other games with "spaghetti code" have managed to upgrade graphics to try and update it for todays generations.

Were the full teams with proper support, or small volunteer teams operating in their spare time on a shoestring?  I mean, you cite WoW as an example, and as wonderful as our team is - they're not even comparable on those terms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Why do people seem to keep posting about how they want to make CoH less CoH-like?  Clean up the existing textures and maybe spend that limited dev time on things like more powersets, more customization, and so on, instead...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Its just a dream scenario. I get that the team is small.

Why wouldn't anyone want a graphical update? How a game looks may not be important to you but it is what a lot of folks are drawn to. You mentioned WoW. Although I talked about it, i didn't play it. Why? Because I hated the art style of the game. Didn't matter that it is probably the most played mmorpg of all time.

I played CoH from when it launched. I am glad to see it back and want it to flourish. Maybe even to the point where they can hire more people to do other things in the game to update it. Right now, it is running as a labor of love. I am sure the devs, as passionate about this as they are, would love to see this grow and not just be a place for old players to relive. Eventually, they will move on just like most folks do from a game. Getting new players into the ecosystem benefits everyone. 

DaethStaR_PNG.png

2 hours ago, xDaethStaRx said:

Why wouldn't anyone want a graphical update? 

8 bit gamers would not want a graphical update. There are a myriad of inferior games out in the world with much better photorealism and far, far inferior gameplay. There is the crux of the issue, CoH is comic book based from the end of an era of similar actual comic book graphical artwork. The entire game is an exact replica of a comic book style, not a photographic experience. It is working as intended.

• Like 1

The graphics are fine for the most part, aside from some stuff with very low resolution (just update the worst looking things to a similar standard as the best looking things in the game and we're good). I'm kinda used to playing older games though so I'm a bit biased. 

The real benefits of a different engine would be making new stuff easier/quicker to add and improving overall stability. That kind of content would go much further than prettier visuals in terms of making me want to play more. 

I'd probably stay away from Unity in particular, however, due to the recent controversies surrounding it...

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

On 1/29/2024 at 9:13 PM, biostem said:

Why do people seem to keep posting about how they want to make CoH less CoH-like?  Clean up the existing textures and maybe spend that limited dev time on things like more powersets, more customization, and so on, instead...

If the devs had ample time and resources, sure, I'd like to see the game made a little prettier. Or a lot prettier. But yeah, I'm not eager to see the very limited resources available for continuing development of this beloved game spent on a quixotic quest to upgrade to a more modern engine.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, xDaethStaRx said:

i didn't play it. Why? Because I hated the art style of the game.

Have you consider the possibility that updating graphics or changing the engine could change the visual style of the game?

Check out some of the COH2 efforts and you may not like everything you find.

1 hour ago, TheMoncrief said:

I'd like to see the game made a little prettier.

I get wanting something to be prettier. Unfortunately, 'prettier' is subjective and could likely vary person to person.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum