Suggestion - Split Origins

I know this is probably not a big deal, mechanically, and would probably be a pain to code in, but is there a way to choose your origin for individual powersets, rather than altogether? So your primary powerset would be Origin X, while your secondary would be Origin Y.

It would be more of an RP thing, but it seems like it would be really cool to do. You could play someone like Doctor Doom, who is a combination of magic and technology or science.

• Like 1

The way the game's set up, probably not. The origin's baked in to the character, not the powerset, and it's apparently at such a fundamental level the only way to change it is to reroll the character. (I still suspect this is a holdover from ... like, the game's alpha phase, where origin actually affected things like how many powers you could take and how strong they could become or some such.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Making it per-powerset might have coding issues. 

I think something more doable might be having the main origin screen be multiple choice instead of singular choice. Whichever one you chose first is the "main" origin that determines your starting origin power and the origin that NPCs refer to you by in The Origin of Power arc. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

The little I know of the code / database (and that's not much) has many things hard coded to origins. The obvious ones would be the SOs, DOs, etc. That's in a way related to what you're talking about (Enh wise). This would be the kind of thing that would be good to add to a CoX 2.0 (complete rebuild from scratch).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Origins should be renamed and redefined as something unimportant that has little impact on the game and a new origin feature added that is just additional tags on your character data.  This would let players have more creative freedom in what origin means to their characters.

For example, existing Origin data could be renamed as "Starting Contact" and it could still fit with your desired origin... or not.  Each "starting contact" would correspond with one of the five existing origins we have now, so in game mechanics nothing actually changes but the flavor text.  So your character could start play with the "Magic" contact, but nothing else in the gaming experience has to be tied to that... you don't have to be Magic origin to know Magic people.

New Origin system could be as simple as what we have now with the five origins, but could also have additional options added to include Dual- and Mutli-Origin options.  You choose what you like or maybe even choose options "Unknown."  When you select Dual-Origin or Mutli-Origin, let that open an additional options that enable you to select which origins you want.  These can be purely for show... but the best use of this system would be the origin tags attached to your character could trigger specific dialogue in NPCs.  For example, characters labeled with a Magic origin tag might have different text spoken to them by magic-oriented NPCs.  This would, of course, require dialogues to be written (or re-written) to include these options.

Edited by Player2
added examples