Suggestion: Lock Old Threads

With the recent influx of players there's been more posts!  Great!  And more necroposts... less great.  And more necroposts responding to things that don't even work that way in game anymore it's not 2019 anymore oh my god.

I don't think this needs to be the entire forum necessarily, but in the ARCHETYPES section and its AT sub folders I just don't see any reason why anybody should be replying to a dead argument from 3 years ago about powersets that have since been revamped.  I'd rather a thousand new "How do I build a farmer?" threads than another "Well actually" response to the 2019 version of Battle Axe

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Lock yes, delete no.  I think people should be able to search and read the old threads, but if they have questions comments there's no reason not to start a new thread.

Old threads with no responses within the last year should become "read only", but otherwise preserved.

It's not like forum posts are extravagant data storage.  At worst it possibly increases forum search times over the years, though search filters help with that

Edited by Ringo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Then again, if we lock a thread and the conversation can't be dynamic anymore, why bother to keep it up at all?  But some good info could be lost if we lock and delete.

Nobody mentioned deleting. But there are plenty of threads necroed with absolutely nothing of value added up to several years later.

If a thread is being a *conversation* or being "dynamic," then it wouldn't be locked - the "staleness" timer of the last post would keep getting reset.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

I must confess I semi-frequently resurrect necro threads for various reasons. 

sometimes the question has never been answered.

sometimes I wanna throw in my 2 cents

sometimes I don't even realize how old the thread is

as far as locking old threads goes, how long before there are more locked threads than unlocked ones?

as far as deleting threads goes, what ancient archaic valuable information may be lost in the mists of time?

I am however in favor of deleting or perhaps merging (if that's possible) duplicate threads.

for example: exactly how many "change KB to KD globally" threads do we need?

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I am in favour of locking old threads as if someone necros them it can lead to confusion to someone checking the most recent posts, seeing a post that's just been commented on and taking the outdated info as up to date.

Banner3.jpg.79155737d064c3e5bab470e86fe0e248.jpg
❤️ Kheldian Guide ❤️

🎖️ Friday Fashion Contest 🎖️

🗒️Character Wiki🗒️
Friendly reminder that no matter what anyone or anything is saying, you ARE loved AND valued in life no matter what.

The Mods have locked threads that get necro'd if whatever post necro'd it wasn't relevant to the discussion or in some cases the discussion was heated, beat to death, cooled, and resurrected just to stir up more sheit. The Mods don't seem to have an issue with adding relevant info to older threads and I am okay with that. Creating yet another post when there is already an existing post (and sometimes multiple) on the topic is more of a nuisance as it breaks up and fragments useful information.

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

11 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I can't wait to drop a reaction on every post in this thread over a year from now...  😁

I had to scroll up to be sure this wasn't an old thread.

Necro on stuff that has changed completely is pretty annoying.  Some of the necro threads have been alright.  Mods seem to be doing fine on locking the ones that should stay dead.

Maybe a popup that says "Are you sure you want to perform necromancy on a dead equine?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lemming said:

I had to scroll up to be sure this wasn't an old thread.

Necro on stuff that has changed completely is pretty annoying.  Some of the necro threads have been alright.  Mods seem to be doing fine on locking the ones that should stay dead.

Maybe a popup that says "Are you sure you want to perform necromancy on a dead equine?"

No one wants to raise a dead horse.  We just want to beat it.

6 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Please feel free to report any necro thread you feel is past it's use by date and I'll lock it and sell the body to Dr Vahzilok for a small profit

You don't want to see the monster he's stitching together with all those old threads, though!

Seriously though, as a newcomer and given that January was the start of the new license, perhaps a mass lock and delete of old irrelevant threads isn't a bad idea?  Fresh start, as it were?  Search results about builds leads to old stuff that isn't even relevant anymore, so clearing some of the clutter would be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1