The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

The Acolyte

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

After minor investigation on my part. the showrunner is open to having another season. It certainly has potential to be even better. 

I could be wrong - it was scheduled to have a 2nd, but I think it’s been cancelled.

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I could be wrong - it was scheduled to have a 2nd, but I think it’s been cancelled.

Disney hasn't said. Even when asked midseason, so a month ago, the showrunner had no answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

D+ budgets are under review at the moment, and Acolyte is rumoured to have cost $180m.

For that many Imperial credits, you need a Mando or Andor-sized critical and numbers hit, and… whatever you think of the series, that it ain’t.

Fun thing though - there are various tidbits being released to tease (or plead for) an S2. And the Nasty Lookin’ Thing in the cave might be none other than that tragic figure, Darth Plagueis…

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

The latest (last?) episode had some unhappy results. I see why they made the choices, but they were "wrong" choices.

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

the-failure-of-one-the-failure-of-two-th

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Hmmmm... that's not suspicious at all. Nope.  (These are Google reviews)

1atop-google-reviews-for-the-acolyte-v0-bnn5s5otpaed1.webp

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Google reviews
  • Haha 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

29 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Hmmmm... that's not suspicious at all. Nope.  (These are Google reviews)

1atop-google-reviews-for-the-acolyte-v0-bnn5s5otpaed1.webp

A lot of the reviews are bot-generated.  They're so obvious, I'm surprised any of them are still there.  The Goog must not be hiring big brains any more.

• Like 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Its weird continually seeing people post about something they don't even watch. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

11 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Its weird continually seeing people post about something they don't even watch. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you don't need to watch something to know whether or not you'll like it.

Let me put it to you this way - let's say I'm going to bake you a cake.  You ask what's in the cake and I send you a link to the recipe.  You read the recipe and see the main ingredients are horse manure, cow urine, with a bit of syrup of ipecac.  Reading that, you already know it's not appealing to you and refuse to eat it because you know it will literally taste like shit.  Can/should you be criticized for not even trying it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

You read the recipe and see the main ingredients are horse manure, cow urine, with a bit of syrup of ipecac.

I asked you not to share my secret cake recipe.  Your betrayal will not be forgotten.

• Haha 5

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you don't need to watch something to know whether or not you'll like it.

Let me put it to you this way - let's say I'm going to bake you a cake.  You ask what's in the cake and I send you a link to the recipe.  You read the recipe and see the main ingredients are horse manure, cow urine, with a bit of syrup of ipecac.  Reading that, you already know it's not appealing to you and refuse to eat it because you know it will literally taste like shit.  Can/should you be criticized for not even trying it?

I don't even use my time to talk about the stuff I like. The stuff I can't even be bothered to watch? Life's too short. FYI, I thought the show was okay in a 2.5/5 way. Everything else I have watched currently or recently I have deemed better. I don't waste my time watching things I know are going to be below average.

A cake is far less subjective in how it is going to taste based on ingredients. More so given your list. At what point does that cake have a chance of getting better? It doesn't. Shows can get better. If a cake was made in that way, I'm not wasting my time interacting with people who enjoy it. Life's too short to point out how wrong people are for investigating into something they are curious about. You don't see me repeatedly posting about something like Rebel Moon. There's books to read. Shows and movies to watch. An outdoors to hang out in. Games to be played. Near literally anything to do than post about how much Rebel Moon sucks, which I haven't watched outside of trailers. No one lies on their deathbed and wishes they spent more time pointing out how much things sucked to people who enjoyed said things. Well, a certain type of person does. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

21 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Well, a certain type of person does. 

Oh?

And just which type of person would that be?

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

At what point does that cake have a chance of getting better? It doesn't.  Shows can get better.

Well actually yes, the cake could get better just like the show can. 

If you were to read the ingredients and then provide feedback to the chef, they could change the recipe.  I don't know if you know anything about running a business or customer service, but it's important to understand what your customers don't like in addition to what they do like.  Sometimes it's critical to know what isn't working, not just what is working.  That's how you improve.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you, but the rest of your post seems to be saying that if people didn't like the show, they shouldn't comment on it.  I don't agree with that.  People should be free to express their opinions.  Star Wars fans, just like any other fan group, have likes and dislikes and I personally think it's important to allow everyone to share their thoughts and opinions.  Why is it ok for you to let everyone know that you enjoyed the series, but no one can tell you that they didn't?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

I don't even use my time to talk about the stuff I like. The stuff I can't even be bothered to watch? Life's too short. FYI, I thought the show was okay in a 2.5/5 way. Everything else I have watched currently or recently I have deemed better. I don't waste my time watching things I know are going to be below average.

A cake is far less subjective in how it is going to taste based on ingredients. More so given your list. At what point does that cake have a chance of getting better? It doesn't. Shows can get better. If a cake was made in that way, I'm not wasting my time interacting with people who enjoy it. Life's too short to point out how wrong people are for investigating into something they are curious about. You don't see me repeatedly posting about something like Rebel Moon. There's books to read. Shows and movies to watch. An outdoors to hang out in. Games to be played. Near literally anything to do than post about how much Rebel Moon sucks, which I haven't watched outside of trailers. No one lies on their deathbed and wishes they spent more time pointing out how much things sucked to people who enjoyed said things. Well, a certain type of person does. 

I agree.  Shows can get better.

People forget some of their favorite shows started out bad.  Some even close to cancellation before they turned it around.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrandX said:

People forget some of their favorite shows started out bad. 

Hint: watch WandaVision from episode 3 onwards, then rewatch the first two.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

I agree.  Shows can get better.

People forget some of their favorite shows started out bad.  Some even close to cancellation before they turned it around.

I agree with this and I believe I even mentioned something to that effect up-thread (or maybe it was another TV series related thread).  The problem with modern streaming series though (and Disney+ series in particular- apart from The Mandalorian, perhaps), is that they don't run enough episodes (usually) to get past that initial 1st seasons rough start to give them time to develop into something truly good.

The way that people view entertainment media and the way the business models are constructed these days probably doesn't allow for the 70's/80's/90's way of doing it, though, alas.

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Very true. I really enjoyed Wanda Vision, but the first two episodes definitely aren't the best.

Kinda like the first two seasons of ST:TNG.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

14 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I was thinking the likes of ST:TNG.  I believe The Office and X-Files.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Triumphant said:

I agree with this and I believe I even mentioned something to that effect up-thread (or maybe it was another TV series related thread).  The problem with modern streaming series though (and Disney+ series in particular- apart from The Mandalorian, perhaps), is that they don't run enough episodes (usually) to get past that initial 1st seasons rough start to give them time to develop into something truly good.

The way that people view entertainment media and the way the business models are constructed these days probably doesn't allow for the 70's/80's/90's way of doing it, though, alas.

That's true.  Especially with how quick they're to cancel streaming shows, people will feel less attachment to a show.

15 minutes ago, BrandX said:

Especially with how quick they're to cancel streaming shows, people will feel less attachment to a show.

Netflix's infamous 3-and-out model explains a lot of the casualties - which (for legal/arcane/infernal reasons you'd need the crew from Wolfram and Hart to explain) stops them having to pay extended royalties.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/tvs-new-math-what-100m-netflix-deals-actually-shortchange-creators-1203846/

Also, since a show can live on a platform more or less forever, there's no other second-window opportunities like syndication. (Without syndication, ST:TOS would never have evolved into the cultural icon it is today. It's also why TOS episodes still look pretty fresh and have been easy to restore: back in the day, everything that wasn't news, sports or light-ents like quizzes was distributed to local stations on film, rather than videotape. And there's dozens of copies kicking around.) 

In fact, it's gone backwards. With platforms being voracious for content to suit any given mood - Amish True Crime? Horror Cake Reveals? Extreme Gardening? - they hoover up national, international and local productions like one of Escobar's hippos in a Miami dance club VIP room.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 3

Wherein Ryan George describes the plot of the show and uses satire to show why some of us think certain parts didn't make sense.

Regardless of how you feel about the Acolyte you should watch this video. It's super easy, barely an inconvenience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Wherein Ryan George describes the plot of the show and uses satire to show why some of us think certain parts didn't make sense.

Regardless of how you feel about the Acolyte you should watch this video. It's super easy, barely an inconvenience.

This was hilarious! I haven't seen the show, but I'm subscribing to this guy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

This was hilarious! I haven't seen the show, but I'm subscribing to this guy.

His Pitch Meetings are great!

Ive gone through and watched all of them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later

And the announcement that I've been waiting for has finally happened:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/08/19/the-acolyte-reportedly-cancelled-ahead-of-season-2-which-is-no-great-shock/

AcCanceled.jpg

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Added link
  • Like 1