latest PUG rant.... MoLRSF

So, join a MoLRSF on my new 50 collectin' badges...

1st mission, within 3 minutes.... 1 person quits.  or DCs  No idea.

Another person starts asking for detailed instructions of what to do, asking where we are, says they have not run in years....

I was honest "Do not join a Master 50 TF when you have no idea what to do"  

Then we had a death.  

All within 5 minutes of hitting the door.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How would you know not to join a  MoLRSF if you don't know what to do unless you know what to do?

I don't even known what a MoLRSF is.  But if I was the right level I would join and assume I would learn.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

30 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I don't even known what a MoLRSF is. 

Master of Lord Recluse Strike Force.  It's a badge and bragging rights for doing it the hard way: uphill both ways, in a snow storm, with players quitting and noobs clueless.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

51 minutes ago, Snarky said:

So, join a MoLRSF on my new 50 collectin' badges...

1st mission, within 3 minutes.... 1 person quits.  or DCs  No idea.

Another person starts asking for detailed instructions of what to do, asking where we are, says they have not run in years....

Then we had a death.  

All within 5 minutes of hitting the door.

It should be incumbent on the group leader to ensure everyone knows what is required in such a TF before kicking off. If that didn't happen, who's fault is it?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

8 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Master of Lord Recluse Strike Force.  It's a badge and bragging rights for doing it the hard way: uphill both ways, in a snow storm, with players quitting and noobs clueless.

nah, there is a harder LRSF in Ouro.  Deaths are allowed there.  Heh, o yeah....

• Microphone 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Yeah that would be infuriating. People can join and play anything they want but if you’re trying one of the advanced modes, you would think you’d join only if you achieved competency in that TF, at the very least run it a few times in normal mode. 

I won’t join many advanced mode TFs because I wouldn’t feel I was familiar enough with them. I don’t like wasting the time of seven other players, but that’s just me. I guess selfishness of some players seem to suggest that this is acceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

2 hours ago, FFFF said:

Yeah that would be infuriating. People can join and play anything they want but if you’re trying one of the advanced modes, you would think you’d join only if you achieved competency in that TF, at the very least run it a few times in normal mode. 

I won’t join many advanced mode TFs because I wouldn’t feel I was familiar enough with them. I don’t like wasting the time of seven other players, but that’s just me. I guess selfishness of some players seem to suggest that this is acceptable. 

The caveat to that is that not everyone is as experienced as we might expect and knows that an Mo or other advanced run is. So they might join without even knowing what questions to ask. A good team lead will take a moment to ask if everyone knows what the mission they are running requires - explain things that shoudln't happen (ie player defeats) and then let the player ask any questions before forming a judgement as to the viability of the run.

We've seen throughout the game's history new players discover it and that can be disheartening for them when they feel they are blamed when they had no knowledge of what was required.

• Like 9
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

"Do not join a Master 50 TF when you have no idea what to do"  

This is the reason I don't do hard mode stuff. There's too many people who expect how to do everything without saying anything constructive.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Sirius.Games said:

This is the reason I don't do hard mode stuff. There's too many people who expect how to do everything without saying anything constructive.

Same. 

"Do not join a Master 50 TF when you have no idea what to do"  

And why are we gatekeeping, ladder pulling, whatevs??  If you don't want people new to the TF on the TF, say so in LFG. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

29 minutes ago, Snakebit said:

Same. 

And why are we gatekeeping, ladder pulling, whatevs??  If you don't want people new to the TF on the TF, say so in LFG. 

if you want me to carry someone ignorant across the desert on my back you are looking at the wrong vampire...

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Banjo 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

if you want me to carry someone ignorant across the desert on my back you are looking at the wrong vampire...

If you expect rando players to meet your elite expectations on high level content in a pickup group, you are in for disappoint. Cry moar. 

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

I definitely feel that players who advertise on LFG for a "Master of..." Task Force should be willing to patiently explain what is necessary... especially if this is explicitly for a "badge run"... because I don't believe all "badger" characters are built equally to earn the "Master of..." badges without good communication, teamwork, and managing expectations.

It is completely possible to run a MOTF without resorting to LFG, and for them to be run with fewer than eight.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Not sure anyone would expect to be carried, but it's worthwhile explaining how far the bloody walk across the desert is before you start!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tidge said:

I definitely feel that players who advertise on LFG for a "Master of..." Task Force should be willing to patiently explain what is necessary... especially if this is explicitly for a "badge run"... because I don't believe all "badger" characters are built equally to earn the "Master of..." badges without good communication, teamwork, and managing expectations.

It is completely possible to run a MOTF without resorting to LFG, and for them to be run with fewer than eight.

sure here ya go.  It is just like the reg version.  omly do not die.

"I dont know the reg version"

so, youre just here to screw the badge run.  nice

If they're wanting to learn, great!   If they don't pay attention, then I'm not going to be happy with them, but if they have the basics of the game and follow instructions, we can work with that

• Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, Techwright said:

Actually, the one for doing it uphill both ways in the snow is the 'Worthy Opponent' badge.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I saw the recruitment for that. And I said to myself, "Self, that's a master run. Can you tank Recluse on your new, largely untested Tank? Your defense is only about 20%, but your resistance is capped to s/l/e. ... not really sure. Depends on external buffs."

Who wants to be "that guy" that blows the MoTF because his build isn't up to snuff. Not this guy. I don't want Snarky making me famous for the wrong reasons. 

Easy pass. 

Just go back and read that thread about why all of us seasoned vets are having great stories of disaster pug teams...and the answer is in there. 

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

33 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I saw the recruitment for that. And I said to myself, "Self, that's a master run. Can you tank Recluse on your new, largely untested Tank? Your defense is only about 20%, but your resistance is capped to s/l/e. ... not really sure. Depends on external buffs."

That would be a hard no.  Speaking from experience, maxed resists do very little against buffed Recluse.

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Who wants to be "that guy" that blows the MoTF because his build isn't up to snuff. Not this guy. I don't want Snarky making me famous for the wrong reasons.

Not signalling Snarky out here by any stretch of the imagination - but I sometimes do sense there's a certain "elitism" amongst some of the veteran players. "I've been playing since Issue 0.00000001 and I know everything and you're doing it wrong." (Yes there is some exaggeration there for illustrative purposes)

Not everyone is a) that experienced b) knowledgeable and c) competent.

Does that mean they shouldn't be able to attempt some of the harder content? It's a sad day when the community as a whole decides that only certain players or people of certain abilities get to play specific missions. It's a game, it's entertainment and it doesn't matter if you fail gloriously so long as you had fun in the failing. If you didn't have fun until that point, are you taking it a bit too seriously? Life's too short to stress about something that's ultimately a bit of a hobby.

Fail, fail again, learn from those failures, and enjoy teaching others how to avoid failing next time. Push boundaries and bring folk along with you!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Fail, fail again, learn from those failures, and enjoy teaching others how to avoid failing next time. Push boundaries and bring folk along with you!

By all means, learn from failures, if you can. In that context, it's not failure if you learn. 

Let me share a story about how ruthlessly funny some people can be. I was tanking Hami for an SG only event. And, like an idiot, with everyone watching, I forget to take the EoE, get clobbered quickly. I rez, gobble the EoE and continue with no issues. 

Every day for what must have been a month, someone sent me an EoE in my email. And that was just a quick mental error with nothing at stake. I shudder to think of the reactions to getting dead on a Master run. 

People can be as chill as they want in chat. 

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Not everyone is a) that experienced b) knowledgeable and c) competent.

And certainly, this is quite true. As experienced as I am, I see some great players doing things I just don't have the reflexes and/or manual dexterity to do. 

And I do appreciate your point. These folks who are less experienced, less knowledgeable and less competent, they will never improve (if they even see a reason to try to) if they don't get exposed to various facets of tough content. And let's face it, Master runs are not really tough content. They're just daunting. 
I must have done at least 100 regular ms lib or recluse tfs and never died, or even come close to it. But once the Master tag is on...it adds some psychological torture to it - at least it does for me. Cuz I don't want to get an awaken in my email every day for month. 

6 hours ago, Ukase said:

Easy pass. 

Just go back and read that thread about why all of us seasoned vets are having great stories of disaster pug teams...and the answer is in there. 

I made the same mistake in my head.  But it is a LRSF…. So the tanking will be multiple AVs with many different attack types.  I have tanked Lord Recluse on a master MLTF twice on my dark brute.  Not sure how he would fare against ALL the hate allatime. He is built for one on one, resistance armors are just better for that (his energy resistance is a little over 60 stone cold and he has tricks.) so tanking one mean Energy AV is one thing…. The entire pissed off freedom fuc… phalanx??  And i was checking, the meat shield we had was not impressive.  There are players out there who can do it on a SO willpower brute maybe. I seriously doubt they were in this pug

5 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Not signalling Snarky out here by any stretch of the imagination - but I sometimes do sense there's a certain "elitism" amongst some of the veteran players. "I've been playing since Issue 0.00000001 and I know everything and you're doing it wrong." (Yes there is some exaggeration there for illustrative purposes)

I've come across a few that are stuck on "This is the way it was in issue 4 and must still be"

The game has changed constantly and while a lot of us were around during beta, there's a lot to keep up with.   I often will check something on Beta just to double check some of it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

Every day for what must have been a month, someone sent me an EoE in my email. And that was just a quick mental error with nothing at stake. I shudder to think of the reactions to getting dead on a Master run. 

I actually think that's kind of amusing. It did no harm but it's kinda locker room 🙂

Reminds me of the story one of England's most famous cricket commentator tells. He goes around the globe commentating on international matches and at every venue there's an enveloped delivered to him, inside which there is a single sheet of soiled and used toilet paper.

For my part I've bollixed up more than a few Mo runs on various TFs, and sometimes all you can do is say "sorry gang, dropped the ball there" or somesuch. Nobody's ever chastised me for it and I've usually offered the opportunity to restart but nobody ever has I don't recall.

Again I'm left thinking if the team knows what is required from the off, and they are willing to carry somebody relatively inexperienced (which I wholeheartedly think they should) then give it a go. It's going to teach players new skills, be fun and everyone wins.