What are some of your most effective weird builds?

EniEni

I had a Rad/Fire Blaster who was very melee-centric.

Hot Feet, Cauterizing Aura, Irradiate and Neutron Bomb, Combust and Fire Sword Circle all providing area damage. 
Defensively I relied on Melee Defence from Obliteration sets in all of them, and slows in Hot Feet so enemies spent longer running away without attacking.

I doubt I skipped Cosmic Burst - it is really good, but the emphasis was on melee attacks.

I also made a melee Elec/Elec blaster with the aim of using Thunderstrike with the Knockdown IO and end drain to keep enemies close but harmless. (And Electric Fences to keep them there once drained.) I also started slotting heal procs wherever I could, both Power Transfer and Call of the Sandman in the melee attacks. It wasn't super-effective, but a fun experiment.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:44 AM, StarseedWarrior said:

Its all by design and manipulated there is no set in nature for humanity when we have been lied to for eons.

Now, what you're describing, is just utter nonsense and tinfoil hat style word salad.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
On 4/28/2024 at 6:44 AM, Sanguinesun said:

Now, what you're describing, is just utter nonsense and tinfoil hat style word salad.

Cool story coming from someone who likely does not do real research the evidence is all over history not to mention modern evidence but you do you lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, StarseedWarrior said:

Cool story coming from someone who likely does not do real research the evidence is all over history not to mention modern evidence but you do you lol.

Here you go:

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

As a sort of experiment, I made a titan weapon/ninjitsu scrapper - it's an interesting melding of what you'd think would be the least stealthy primary with the armor set most likely to be associated with someone who is, well, sneaky...

• Like 3

I have a FF Sonic Defender with capped Resist and softcapped Def. I think it's as close as you can get to a tank while playing a defender 🙂. He doesn't kill...er...arrest... stuff super fast but he has all the time in the world to whittle down their health while laughing at the barrage of punches being hurled at his face. Very fun and unusual toon even if hes not the most practical.

Full disclosure, I found the build here in the forums and only made very minor tweaks to suit my playstyle preferences.

• Like 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

I have a couple of characters that aren't exactly unique in their approach, but turned out to be surprisingly good at clearing maps and/or surviving when maybe they shouldn't.

My most-favorite weird character is a Mind/Poison/Energy Controller. He was build explicitly to make enemies fall down (so also, Force of Will) or otherwise stumble, tremble, whatever. With his controls, debuffs and a good bit of %damage he turned out to be brutally efficient across a very wide amount of content.

A slightly less imaginative pairing is my Dark/Dark/Soul Controller. This one doesn't win any awards for clear times, but it ends up mostly not falling to large spawns that should (on paper) completely outclass it. It wasn't built with surviving in mind, it just so happens that the combination of powers and slotting choices make it weirdly (weird to me anyway) able to handle live through some pretty grueling encounters.

• 2 weeks later

Apparently bi-form peacebringer is uncommon but it is extremely effective. I go in as dwarf, absorb alpha drop AOE drop heal if I need it switch to human boost my hp then fight, repeat. So far so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

I have an Ice/Sonic Blaster that's "abusing" the Lockdown: Chance for Mag 2 Hold procs.  I'm relying on Global Recharge Reduction for speed up attack chains, so these suckers proc A LOT.  Adding in the magnitude from Lockdown, just imagine the following:

4 Single-target ranged holds at Mag 5.

2 Single-target melee holds at Mag 5.

1 Single-target melee hold at Mag 3.5

1 PBAoE hold at Mag 3.5

Chain locking multiple bosses feels insanely powerful on a Blaster.  This much fun feels illegal.

Once I get to Hami levels, those green Mitos are going to MELT.

13 hours ago, plainguy said:

Petless and Semi Petless masterminds.. 

And Somewhat Petless Masterminds.  In the early days (prior to all the Necro updgrades), I would run Knights and the Lich...sans Zombies.  Add Fluffy from Dark Miasma and I was golden (sans-vomit).

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 12:29 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Some pairings I've made that have worked out really well over the years:

1. Elec/ninja blaster with softcapped typed defense to all except psy/toxic with a res shield. It's a pretty sturdy blaster.

I tried elec/ninja blapper  but ended up going with Sonic/Ninja  Blapper and reducing the cap to all def to 32-33% to focus on damage because a single target 3k+ damage in two hits is bonkers with no inps or teammates. You reduce your def cap to soft cap now you eat purples but the increase is to good. By far one of the most surprising builds, I ever had, and it was a theme build that suprised. Also, it is rated I think bottom 3 in least played combo. 

/ninja on blaster is the true blapper.

One word

CRITICAL DragonFly

Second Word

Critical KO Blow  

Third word 

Priceless

FYI

Critical is not full damage and it works like a proc but if feel great to play and different from any other blaster.

Edited by Ironscarlet

ok you might not know who Lady Tsunade from Naruto Shppuden is.  I've tried making a homage to her.  My goal is take SS/Regen/Medicine Pool, and of course i had to go with Brute.  I guess the other way to go would be to make a SS/Willpower/Medicine Pool Tank.

18 hours ago, The Trouble said:

I have an Ice/Sonic Blaster that's "abusing" the Lockdown: Chance for Mag 2 Hold procs.  I'm relying on Global Recharge Reduction for speed up attack chains, so these suckers proc A LOT.  Adding in the magnitude from Lockdown, just imagine the following:

1 PBAoE hold at Mag 3.5

Chain locking multiple bosses feels insanely powerful on a Blaster.  This much fun feels illegal.

I'd like to see your build for this, if you wouldn't mind sharing it. 🙂 

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

18 hours ago, The Trouble said:

1 PBAoE hold at Mag 3.5

Are you stacking them with Devastation procs in the single target blasts as well?  Do have to wonder how effective that much control could be.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

I'd like to see your build for this, if you wouldn't mind sharing it. 🙂 

This is the basic Proc Monster concept I tried on Test Server.  My "real" build is shaping up differently due to practicality, but this build is the proof of concept that kickstarted the real journey.

This isn't a solo +4/*8 type of thing at all!  Just a fun and weird thing. 🙂 

7 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Are you stacking them with Devastation procs in the single target blasts as well?  Do have to wonder how effective that much control could be.

No, I leaned heavily into damage.  In the spirit of this front-loaded bizarre build, I think I'll give that a shot (even if just on Test)

If you could somehow fire off all of your holds at once, the math says just two of these characters could hold an AV.

Enjoy!

*Edit to add: I forgot to mention in addition to potentially melting Greenies during a Hami Raid, the MSR Raid also benefits if the team decides to take down the Drop Ship.  If you can fly fast enough, you can stack your own holds.

Blaster (Ice Blast - Sonic Manipulation).mbd

Edited by The Trouble
  • Like 1