Do we have a pop-menu for GMs?

So, on Excelsior, there's more than a few that are chasing the loot that GMs have to offer. Before I dig out a menu file and edit it - do we have one of these yet? 

I am thinking of a pop-menu that you would click on and scroll to the GM name you're looking for and create the macro for you, on the fly as you zone into the appropriate zone. I know that such a thing is possible, because I've got one for various TFs; I would just need to edit it. 

As some of you are aware - one errant key stroke and it may not work properly. That's why I figure I might just ask before I spend time on it. 
Thanks!

What do you want the pop menu to do?

Ask in broadcast if anyone has found it or announce in lfg that you have found it?

I made a simple macro to announce any GM I have targeted with the location in whatever chat channel I am in. It could easily be adjusted to always announce in lfg if you want.

I have a simple macro I use to find GMs. And, I can edit it for whatever GM or even some boss or npc I'm looking for. 

But, I thought it would be useful to press/click a macro - and then scroll to the specific GM I'm looking for and have it either create a whole new macro or change the existing one. 
While it's true it only takes a moment to edit it, sometimes, if you're slow to find it - someone else clobbers it in silence - and you never find it. The faster you find it, the more likely you can get folks invited before some eager player rushes in and kills it - preventing a number of other folks from getting some loot. 

I just don't know if a pop-menu can create a macro. 

A popmenu could create binds and macros, yes, I think.

So this all boils down to a search macro? To actually "find" a GM within radius? That's pretty trivial to accomplish. The "super search" binds would work well for on-the-fly searching:

ADD "target_custom_next base"
CTRL+ADD "beginchat "/bind add target_custom_next enemy alive "
SHIFT+ADD "nop"

Hit Ctrl-[NUMPAD +] and type the beginning of the search string. Hit Return.

Now NUMPAD + searches for that string.

(The Shift+ bind corrects a peculiarity of shift binds like this.)

This could be written into a popmenu, but I have no idea what would be useful for GM hunting.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Bind and bind_file commands can be invoked from a popmenu, but they won't take effect until you restart your client or zone, which is generally less than convenient. I circumvent this using beginchat to pre-populate the chat bar with the bind or bind_file command (and building off Shenanigunner's post above):

Bind Keys:  Option "Babbage Search Key" "beginchat /bind ADD target_custom_next enemy alive Babbage"
Bind Files: Option "Load Bind File" "beginchat /bind_load_file <file_name>"

These require pressing ENTER twice to execute the command, which takes some getting used to, but it allows the binds to take effect immediately versus having to zone.

Macros can be created via a popmenu, but you should enclose the command portion with <& and &> (instead of quotes) so that the client doesn't get confused with nested quotes. Here is an example, again building off Shenanigunner's post above:

Option "Babbage Search" <& macro GM "target_custom_next enemy alive Babbage" &>

Unless you just 100% MUST have this stuff in a popmenu, I'd recommend Shenanigunner's method.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarity

One thing I want to caution "GM Hunters" who want to use targeting macros... if you use such a thing, please be sure to NOT ignore the level-less strays that will accopmany the spawn of certain GMs, specifically in Croatoa (the "wandering" spawns also need to be cleared, and they are often not level-less) and King's Row.

I use /optionset showvillainname 1 which helps to find the level-less. For the others you have to have some experience to find them.

8 minutes ago, tidge said:

One thing I want to caution "GM Hunters" who want to use targeting macros... if you use such a thing, please be sure to NOT ignore the level-less strays that will accopmany the spawn of certain GMs, specifically in Croatoa (the "wandering" spawns also need to be cleared, and they are often not level-less) and King's Row.

I use /optionset showvillainname 1 which helps to find the level-less. For the others you have to have some experience to find them.

I've been calling out to clear the spawns in game since 2020. Good luck. At least now the spawns in Croatoa are easy to identify. However, don't be too harsh on clearing Grim Vale spawns. I've seen those things halfway to Salamanca.

19 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I've been calling out to clear the spawns in game since 2020. Good luck. At least now the spawns in Croatoa are easy to identify. However, don't be too harsh on clearing Grim Vale spawns. I've seen those things halfway to Salamanca.

Often this is because players don't know any better than to drag the spawns across the map as they hightail it to the team base portal, train station, whatever. It can be especially frustrating to find the flying ones.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

Often this is because players don't know any better than to drag the spawns across the map as they hightail it to the team base portal, train station, whatever. It can be especially frustrating to find the flying ones.

I clean them when I see them. As for macros, I don't need them. I have search patterns. 🙂

On 4/13/2024 at 2:35 PM, tidge said:

I imagine they would just despawn after a period of time. I can't imagine why this would ever be an issue. 

Not that I mind ensuring these rascals are all defeated - but what's the point? If they're there, it's not going to stop the event from spawning again, I wouldn't think. 

Just basing that on a premise that it would be rare for these to be cleared during/after each "war of the grim vale" every single time, yet they continue to occur. So, what's really going on here? I am open to the idea that I'm wrong, but if it really is required to clean these mobs, and if one is left alive, the event doesn't happen again until the server resets, wouldn't you find that to be a bit silly? Surely they would have thought of that. I would suspect if their collective defeats were required, the merits wouldn't be awarded until all of them were dispatched. 

But that's just me, kind of thinking aloud. I typically tab through and look for even con or yellow mobs on my 50's and typically never see any. And when I do, I'll blast 'em for the badge count. 

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

I imagine they would just despawn after a period of time. I can't imagine why this would ever be an issue.

The associates in Croatoa and Kings Row do not despawn.

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Just basing that on a premise that it would be rare for these to be cleared during/after each "war of the grim vale" every single time, yet they continue to occur. So, what's really going on here?

Another player is clearing them, or the entire zone is reset.

• Like 1