Name Purge

4 hours ago, Excraft said:

Never heard of any one of them either.  I don't mean this to be insulting at all, but I'm not sure these folks are as "famous" as you all think they are. 

*waves from being a renamed memphis_bill.* 😉

• Like 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

You're not being insulting, you're just not thinking. Just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean they're not famous. Do you know who Shah Rukh Khan is? No? Well all 1.4 BILLION people in India know who he is. Therefore he's famous.

Just being honest here, there's a real big difference between someone known by a billion people and a small handful of folks known by a small handful of other folks from the forums of a video game.

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Of course you've never heard of them, you didn't spend much, if any, time on the retail forums. Just because you haven't heard of people that were part of a community that you were never involved in doesn't mean they weren't famous in that community. If you ask anyone who spent a lot of time on the retail forums they'll remember at least some of these people as these people were famous in the City of Heroes community.

Just so I understand, if we've never heard of any of those people you mentioned, we're not part of the community?  I don't think that's what you're saying or what you're intending, but wanted to ask because that's certainly what it sounds like.  If it is what you're saying, well then you're just wrong.  We're all part of this community whether we've heard of these other players or not.

I'm sure there's lots of people that remember those names from back in the day and that they're famous to them.  I don't think that automatically means they're considered famous by everyone, nor do I think not knowing who they were/are means you aren't part of the game community.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

11 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Just being honest here, there's a real big difference between someone known by a billion people and a small handful of folks known by a small handful of other folks from the forums of a video game.

No kidding. I specifically said "people who were famous in the City of Heroes community." That meant the retail forums. Everyone on the retail forums knew who these people were. So they were famous, in the City of Heroes community. Not worldwide. Not in your country. Not in your neighborhood. Not with your friend group. WITH EVERYONE ON THE CITY OF HEROES RETAIL FORUMS. How difficult is that for you to understand?!?!?

I don't understand why you people are being so pedantic today.

What is today anyway? Is today National No One Can Agree With Anything Peregrine Falcon Says Day? I swear to gawd, I could say the sky is blue and some rando on this forum would respond with "Nuh uh. The sky's not blue where I'm at therefore you're wrong."

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

23 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Everyone on the retail forums knew who these people were. So they were famous, in the City of Heroes community.

Sorry mate, but this isn't true.  I played the game and visited the retail forums frequently back during the live days and I don't recognize any of those names.  Sorry if I don't remember your friends though.  Does that mean I'm not part of the community then?

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No kidding. I specifically said "people who were famous in the City of Heroes community." That meant the retail forums. Everyone on the retail forums knew who these people were. So they were famous, in the City of Heroes community. Not worldwide. Not in your country. Not in your neighborhood. Not with your friend group. WITH EVERYONE ON THE CITY OF HEROES RETAIL FORUMS. How difficult is that for you to understand?!?!?

I don't understand why you people are being so pedantic today.

What is today anyway? Is today National No One Can Agree With Anything Peregrine Falcon Says Day? I swear to gawd, I could say the sky is blue and some rando on this forum would respond with "Nuh uh. The sky's not blue where I'm at therefore you're wrong."

You seem to be offended a lot on these forums.  I get a chuckle each time I read your signature. :classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm famous locally for finishing the 20lb burrito at Maria's Cantina. My picture is on the wall. *humblebrag*

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

I'm famous locally for finishing the 20lb burrito at Maria's Cantina. My picture is on the wall. *humblebrag*

In my late teens to 20s, that would be a normal dinner.   (I did get banned from a couple all you can eat places back then...)

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Apogee said:

You seem to be offended a lot on these forums.  I get a chuckle each time I read your signature. :classic_laugh:

I'm sorry that you don't understand the difference between getting annoyed and being offended. They're not even close to the same thing. It's kinda sad really that you don't understand that. Ask your mom, I'm sure she can explain it to you.

16 hours ago, lemming said:

Um, Welcome to the internet?

Sure, but it seemed like that was the theme for the entire day yesterday, both online and off. People actually damaged my calm yesterday, which is unusual.

• Staff of Aesculapius 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Sure, but it seemed like that was the theme for the entire day yesterday, both online and off. People actually damaged my calm yesterday, which is unusual.

It was a weird day for me too.  Not so much online, but the worst drivers and a few other interactions were just unreal.   Mars was retrograde up Uranus or something if you want to go that route. 😉 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mischief61 said:

Any scuttlebutt on when we'll see a name purge to free up inactive names for toons under level 50?

On 4/17/2024 at 4:27 PM, UltraAlt said:

How many characters do you have at this point that aren't level 50?

Still no answer from the OP.

Seems to prove my point.

If the name release policy ever happens, it should definitely include level 50's.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I just wish I could get back the name I reserved by pre-ordering the game at launch.  The Inquisitor was born the day the servers went live and he was there when they shut off the lights.  All those memories, lost.....like tears in rain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Banjo 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:26 AM, tidge said:

I do believe it is possible that there are names on Homecoming that are "protected", and not by players. For example, there are names that you cannot give to henchmen/pets.

There was one name I tried to get on day one of a character that I had on Live that I was rather surprised was not available, that included the word "Homecoming" in the name. It wasn't the most original name I admit, but all the variants I tried were unavailable. Since the project has the Homecoming name, I can easily believe that those names were reserved. It is of course possible I was slow, but on the server I play on I got all the other names of my favorite mains, even those I know I didn't have on all of the various "Live" servers.

I'm still unsure why we can't name any of our pets simply Crow.  Had to add idiotic titles to all my Ninja MM pets, since they all had Corvid and other bird names, and Crow was supposed to be the first one.

Come on.  It's just goddamn Crow, like any other goddamn bird.  Why protect it?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 7:44 AM, Ukase said:

Huh? Famous live player? No player was famous in the strict definition of the word. Perhaps well-known in their social group on the server they played on, but nobody was famous, sorry. 

One might make the case that Beefcake got fairly famous for presumable paying someone to pigg dive and build vidiotmaps. (That's a sketchy synopsis/summary of things I've heard - no representation of accuracy there) 

I seem to remember a Rick Astley on live who was fairly famous...

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 6:51 AM, Ironblade said:

Why not?  I have a few dozen 50's, so why not have multiple copies of my favorite?  I have Ironblade on every shard and every one of them is level 50.  Two of them are fully tier 4 incarnate.

I'm starting to do more server transfers back and forth myself.  My intradimensional travelers, (as I just right now have started calling them) always get a name holder on the servers where they transfer from, and I will occasionally hold names on other servers, just in case; especially names that do really get established among the population.

Edited by Ravenplume

9 hours ago, Ravenplume said:

Come on.  It's just goddamn Crow, like any other goddamn bird.  Why protect it?

They might just have dumped all the NPC names into the block list.  Crow is a mission contact in the Praetorian Underground.

• Like 1

Crow was blocked well before Praetoria.  My Ninjas MM in the Time Before was unable to name any of her pets Crow, to go along with Raven and Magpie, and that was well before Going Rogue

32 minutes ago, ZemX said:

They might just have dumped all the NPC names into the block list.  Crow is a mission contact in the Praetorian Underground.

That must be it. Couldn't even name a pet 'Bruce'.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ravenplume said:

Crow was blocked well before Praetoria.  My Ninjas MM in the Time Before was unable to name any of her pets Crow, to go along with Raven and Magpie, and that was well before Going Rogue

Then it was probably because of this guy.  Which makes it odd they later went ahead and made an NPC with the same name.  But it was probably done by different people at different times.  

How 'The Crow' Became the Perfect Superhero for the ...

Edited by ZemX
  • Like 1