Name Purge

6 minutes ago, macskull said:

This argument assumes that if a player isn't actively playing the game, they are no longer interested in the game or their characters. Sure, there are going to be people who play for a while and leave and never come back, but there are also going to be players who are away from the game for extended periods of time for other reasons, sometimes through no fault of their own. Who are we to decide whether the reason for their absence is enough that we should release their character names?

I am an active (on again/off again) player and upthread I displayed the character slot of a character I have not touched in 4.8 years. I do not think my activity on a subset of characters should immunize that character from having its name stripped in favor of someone who wants it because if I truly, really wanted to keep the name, I could login on it ever so often like I do with my character who holds lead on the SG I inherited when my friends stopped playing.

I agree, one should not be stripped of a character name quickly for a life circumstance change, deployment on military duty, etc. So oddly, I would argue greater protection for someone whose account has remained completely untouched (up to a limit) than for characters on account like mine, because it is so very obvious that I am not using the name.

1 minute ago, Erratic1 said:

one should not be stripped of a character name quickly for a life circumstance change, deployment on military duty, etc

The question is how to you provide for such circumstances while not unduly burdening newer active players who simply want some of the shorter or more desirable names?  Maybe give each player a number of tokens that flags certain characters as immune to the name policy...

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

I do not think you did something wrong. You explained the tie to your forum name, which casts things in a different light, but even if it hadn't...there is nothing wrong with you fulfilling a desire to uniquely have the name. I am just noting the name space for obvious names for various character concepts is limited, so people are going to hit on the central set of names and the easy variations quite quickly. So 'Frostbiter' is not really something so unusual as for it not to be a name someone would likely seek to get at some point. I attempted to illustrate how people latch onto increasingly non-obvious names by referencing my character Ghosthammer.

What with the history of Black superheroes (and now villains--Black Manta was not originally Black, but someone decided to lean heavily into the trope), I really wish I had been able to get the name 'Black Ice'. 'Black <anything simple>' though is probably completely camped at this point.

I don't believe you. You went out of your way to mention it.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

How desirable is the name Frostbiter? Even I have to admit it's not the best name I could have come up with. It was my first hero on the Live servers that I made to just try the game out and it stuck. Be honest, how desirable is it really?

I was being honest.  Simple, thematic names tend to be the most commonly chosen and hence the hardest to get this far into HC's run.  The comic book genre is filled with such names.  Most of the iconic heroes (and villains) have them.   

2 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I don't believe you. You went out of your way to mention it.

You asked a question. Here, let me remind you, as apparently in your rush to accuse me of lying you have forgotten:

How desirable is the name Frostbiter? Even I have to admit it's not the best name I could have come up with. It was my first hero on the Live servers that I made to just try the game out and it stuck. Be honest, how desirable is it really?

THAT IS YOU ASKING A QUESTION.

I gave an answer with explanation of the initial question: How desirable is the name Frostbiter?

I then delved into how even with it (quoting you  here), "...not [being] the best name I could have come up with..." it is still something someone would likely try and be willing to settle on.

Had I some secret agenda to be hostile to you, why would I have thumbs upped your explanatory post?

16 minutes ago, biostem said:

The question is how to you provide for such circumstances while not unduly burdening newer active players who simply want some of the shorter or more desirable names?  Maybe give each player a number of tokens that flags certain characters as immune to the name policy...

Or you could weight the freeing up of names based both on how long the holder has been absent and both how new the account trying for the name is and how many names the account has tied to it. So new players would get a jump on getting a name but only to a point.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I was being honest.  Simple, thematic names tend to be the most commonly chosen and hence the hardest to get this far into HC's run.  The comic book genre is filled with such names.  Most of the iconic heroes (and villains) have them.   

Fair enough. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

You asked a question. Here, let me remind you, as apparently in your rush to accuse me of lying you have forgotten:

THAT IS YOU ASKING A QUESTION.

I gave an answer with explanation of the initial question: How desirable is the name Frostbiter?

I then delved into how even with it (quoting you  here), "...not [being] the best name I could have come up with..." it is still something someone would likely try and be willing to settle on.

Had I some secret agenda to be hostile to you, why would I have thumbs upped your explanatory post?

I'm aware of what I asked and who I asked it of. It wasn't you.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

2 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Fair enough. Thank you.

I'm aware of what I asked and who I asked it of. It wasn't you.

@Snarky give me strength...

You do realize anyone can provide an answer to a question on an open forum?

If you only want one person to answer a question you can send direct, private messages.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Erratic1 said:

@Snarky give me strength...

You do realize anyone can provide an answer to a question on an open forum?

If you only want one person to answer a question you can send direct, private messages.

I know this is an open forum, you still brought it up a second time by yourself, out of context. Which is why I still don't believe you.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Just now, Frostbiter said:

I know this is an open forum, you still brought it up a second time by yourself, out of context. Which is why I still don't believe you.

So many confrontational ways to respond to this, but you know I will just make this short and simply:

FINE. BELIEVE WHATEVER DELUSIONAL THING YOU WANT. 

I have three times tried to explain how you are wrong, and I am fine with you having a persecution complex. I am not falling into the following with you:

duty_calls.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

"What it actually says..." Please stop with the hyper-semantic nonsense.

No, I'm good thanks.  I'll continue to say what I believe and if you've got anything more than "I'm right because I say so and everyone believes me! (believe me they do!)" then do please let me know.

I was quoting what was actually said and if you'd bothered not to just snip part of my post and pretend it was the whole thing (though I don't know why I expect anything else here) you'd see I explained BOTH examples of names I'd believe were stolen and ones that could have just been guessed because they were simple.   Hell if "Ascendant" weren't reserved in the game now, someone who never knew him would probably have grabbed it because it's a freaking word in the English language folks!  There are probably plenty of "Famous" live players who had simple names anyone would guess entirely on their own and then be accused of having stolen them.

You have no idea how many names or which names this guy reserved so stop pretending you know anything more about this than I do.  You're guessing and so am I.  If he wants to pipe up and say he totally copied a bunch of forum folks' names directly he can.  But that isn't actually what he said.  He said they were desirable names.  And that's any simple name. 

Ask Superman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

So many confrontational ways to respond to this, but you know I will just make this short and simply:

FINE. BELIEVE WHATEVER DELUSIONAL THING YOU WANT. 

I have three times tried to explain how you are wrong, and I am fine with you having a persecution complex. I am not falling into the following with you:

duty_calls.png

I hardly need your permission for anything. Let me ask you a question. What did you intend by bringing it up a second time, in response to me specifically?

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

If you think I did something wrong with trying to get my name on all the servers, know that that isn't what happened.

I have 'Troo' on all servers.

I do not have dozens and dozens of character names copied on every server, just the main one.

And I visit each server periodically to give away startup capital to young villains.

This is not wrong is it?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 minutes ago, Troo said:

I have 'Troo' on all servers.

I do not have dozens and dozens of character names copied on every server, just the main one.

And I visit each server periodically to give away startup capital to young villains.

This is not wrong is it?

Not in my book, no.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

24 minutes ago, Apogee said:

I feel a great disturbance in the Forums, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.  I feel a thread lock will happen.

No, listen we haven't repeated all the same arguments from the last thread yet.  We need a few more pages!!

• Haha 5

I mean, it's really not that difficult;  If I want a name, free it up, but don't you dare free up any of my names, (even if I haven't logged into them for years), because I need those!

Edited by biostem
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Even if it is, do you wanna be right?

/em shrug

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

uh...is there another way to bring something up here than by yourself.  i mean, i have a lot of people haunting me, does that make my posts "brought up by the group?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

uh...is there another way to bring something up here than by yourself.  i mean, i have a lot of people haunting me, does that make my posts "brought up by the group?"

I am bring this up not for myself but for Snarky.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

From my point of view, that poster threw something I said back in my face after we had already discussed it. If I'm wrong about that, someone please explain why they brought it back up to me a second time. If they don't want to discuss something I did, they can let it lie.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG: