Name Purge

13 minutes ago, Mischief61 said:

i don’t understand. Why is problematic?

There have been many threads about this subject and they generally go down in flames. Mostly because a bunch of people logged on to Homecoming on launch day and created 800+ characters to name camp all of the cool names and all of the names of forum posters that they could remember. And this isn't just me guessing, a GM has confirmed that this happened.

Needless to say, those people who are name camping hundreds of names don't want us peasants to be able to use those names which is why they freak out any time this subject comes up.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There have been many threads about this subject and they generally go down in flames. Mostly because a bunch of people logged on to Homecoming on launch day and created 800+ characters to name camp all of the cool names and all of the names of forum posters that they could remember. And this isn't just me guessing, a GM has confirmed that this happened.

Needless to say, those people who are name camping hundreds of names don't want us peasants to be able to use those names which is why they freak out any time this subject comes up.

Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification, PF. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Umm...OP does realize that many of the really coolest names are taken by assignment to NPC characters, yes? (Oo)  Granted there are more players than NPCs...but...😶

And that the Devs had to make some naming concessions with the NPCs for the later expansions as not a few of the names considered originally were already in use by players...so I don't see it as a totally one way street here in people not getting the names they want vs what is available.

The way the question is presented is similar to a kid yelling "are we there yet?!"...which gives the appearance of yet more entitled whining by someone unable to be creative outside of the box as it were in contextual appearance. Especially since this topic has come up many times before and discussed to dead horse levels. 

Edited by Go0gleplex
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

13 minutes ago, Go0gleplex said:

More entitled whining by someone unable to be creative outside of the box as it were in contextual appearance. 

Entitled whining? He was just asking a question.

Please explain to me, exactly, how asking a question is 'entitled whining'.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

27 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Entitled whining? He was just asking a question.

Please explain to me, exactly, how asking a question is 'entitled whining'.

thanks for the support, PF. 😀

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Mischief61 said:

Any scuttlebutt on when we'll see a name purge to free up inactive names for toons under level 50?

How many characters do you have at this point that aren't level 50?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

9 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

About 4,900 per account…

It was Yomo hoarding names on 50s all along!

Who knew!?

Well, other than Yomo....

• Like 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

11 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I don't think that the number of "cool names" can possibly be in the "less than a million range" so I cannot believe that all the cool names have been taken.

I'm not have problems finding "cool" names for characters, but I haven't made a new one since like Monday last week.

• Haha 1

• Game Master

There is no scuttlebutt on name purging.  In fact, there will be no "purging."  When the naming policy is instituted everyone will have advance notice.   At this time there is no set date of when that will be, or at least not that I am aware of.

The names don't automatically become available.  Level 50s will always be protected and then there is a sliding scale down -- the lower the level, the less time a name is protected.  You can log in characters to keep them protected, or better yet, level them and gain more time . . . or immortality at 50.  But if you have an unprotected name due to lack of use, it may become available IF someone else tries it when creating a new character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1