Current state of Mid's alternatives

Hi folks. 

I run CoH on Linux mint, and have not been able to use Mid's on the machine. I play over an 85 inch monster TV, and that is part of the issue. Essentially, I'm technically able to install Mid's, but unable to see anything. I'm not able to scale up the window at all, and the size of the icons and such make it so that there is no remaining space for the actual build to appear. 

I had seen a couple of different browser based alternatives in the works, but haven't been able to find any recent information regarding these projects. What I have tried out doesn't appear to work for viewing builds. 

Is there something I'm missing, or are there just not any viable alternatives to running Mid's? As it is, I can't really plan builds, and the only builds I am able to make any kind of use of are the long-form forum exports that others occasionally post. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

Unless someone else is out there working on an alternative, most of them are not updated or really worth using. It is Mids or nothing.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

Depending on the desktop you might have zoom controls for example on KDE Plasma you can hold the META key with the PLUS key to zoom in, MINUS key to zoom out. But it sounds to me like your MRB install has something that has gone wrong with it judging from your description.

I have noted with keen interest that several browser-based alternatives have popped up in development over the years. Each and every one seems to have fizzled out, unfortunately.

As others have mentioned above, there are no alternatives to Mids' Reborn.  Several people have attempted web based alternatives over the past five years, but they all realized fairly quickly that they bit off more than they can chew and the projects were abandoned.

I was afraid that might be the case. I appreciate the responses. 

I often put myself into odd projects in the game to keep myself interested. For example, I did one set where I took a combination of the least used powersets for primary and secondary for all of the main ATs in the game to 50 just to see if I could make something viable. Currently I'm doing core elemental pairings. Like Ice/Cold or Fire/Thermal, etc, for all of the ATs where they are available. 

With some of these, it's somewhat possible to find an existing build that I can tweak to my preferences, and in other cases I find nothing, or just click links to builds I can never view. 

I may just have to break down and use some other computer exclusively for Mid's, but it's going to be getting into Windows installations I was hoping to avoid. Thank you all. 

1 hour ago, TG BrainFog said:

I often put myself into odd projects in the game to keep myself interested. For example, I did one set where I took a combination of the least used powersets for primary and secondary for all of the main ATs in the game to 50 just to see if I could make something viable. Currently I'm doing core elemental pairings. Like Ice/Cold or Fire/Thermal, etc, for all of the ATs where they are available. 

With some of these, it's somewhat possible to find an existing build that I can tweak to my preferences, and in other cases I find nothing, or just click links to builds I can never view. 

I may just have to break down and use some other computer exclusively for Mid's, but it's going to be getting into Windows installations I was hoping to avoid. Thank you all. 

Yes, a web based MIDS would be really nice. One day. I'll might tackle it, but it wouldn't be for at least a year.

14 hours ago, TG BrainFog said:

Hi folks. 

I run CoH on Linux mint, and have not been able to use Mid's on the machine. I play over an 85 inch monster TV, and that is part of the issue. Essentially, I'm technically able to install Mid's, but unable to see anything. I'm not able to scale up the window at all, and the size of the icons and such make it so that there is no remaining space for the actual build to appear.

I have the same issue, albeit on a much smaller screen.   My main monitor doesn't like mids, so my secondary monitor works best with it.  It's really odd, you can even tell the monitor to double the size of everything and Mids ignores that even.

I use mids mainly to just check out some of the builds, but I don't use it to make a build.

I am going to make a suggestion.  Head over to e-bay, find an old windows 10 laptop for ~$50, and use it for mids.  you could spend a little more and even use it to play the game when on the go. That would be my approach if I were in your situation.

15 hours ago, TG BrainFog said:

Hi, @TG BrainFog!

I strongly suggest you join the Mids Reborn (MRB) Discord (and prior to that, create a Discord account if you don't have one yet).  Invite link here:
https://discord.gg/eDkpdtKZ

That way you can ask how others solved some of the issues with MRB on Linux.  You could also give details to the MRB devs (Zed and Metalios) on the exact issues with MRB on your Linux distro and your X Window manager.  There may be some ways to adjust the scaling and if the current scaling options are not enough, they could potentially be expanded.  It also helps to present your use case to the MRB devs.  There may be some work being done on an MRB successor, but considering the small size of the team and the great difficulty involved, it's going to be a very long time in development and will be ready when it's ready.

Edited by Jacke