Option to include @Global in Chat

Just now, Excraft said:

That's certainly their choice as to what games they don't want to play for whatever reason(s) they have.  I find it difficult to believe other being able to see a global name in chat is the sole reason someone decides not to play a game, but I suppose it's possible.  Other, more successful games with populations orders of magnitude larger than HC seems to indicate this isn't an issue for the vast majority of people.

A small handful of people saying "I don't like the idea of others seeing my global because I like anonymity" isn't exactly what I would consider a compelling argument against the idea to be honest.  As has been mentioned, global handles are very easily obtained already by anyone looking for them, so anonymity is already out the window.

And yet people have to *do something* to see that, as opposed to having it just openly displayed, is the way it is now.

STO and the others have *other* reasons for showing the chat handle - including duplicated names, something else that there's a distinct want/not want here.  (I also never said it's the only reason - but it could be one of the deciding factors for some.) Right now, there's no particularly compelling reason to have that showing.

The idea's asking for a change that would be forced on people one way or another if it went through (yes, like any other change to the game.) But instead of just changing, say, how a power looks, it's linking to something that could well be tied to their actual identity... for what? (People do, after all, often use the same handles through other games and other media.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

3 hours ago, Eiko-chan said:

Don't fall into the trap of "you only want privacy if you have something to hide". It's not true, and it's a deeply harmful and destructive meme. 

I haven't seen a single post in this thread that says that. Please show me where I'm wrong.

In any case I agree with you. You want your privacy then you should have it and you don't need a reason why. At no point did I say otherwise.

4 hours ago, JasperStone said:

And well ... basically stalk and harass me.

Report. Block. TP to base. Move on.

No one can stalk or harass you online unless you allow them to.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I haven't seen a single post in this thread that says that. Please show me where I'm wrong.

In any case I agree with you. You want your privacy then you should have it and you don't need a reason why. At no point did I say otherwise.

Report. Block. TP to base. Move on.

Heck, if you hide from search no one will even know that you are online unless they physically see your toon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

Please debate the merits, or lack thereof, of the proposal.  Not of each other.

B.E.T.E.O.

We all disagree once in a while.  I even disagreed with the greatest, Bill Murray, once.

TOP 25 QUOTES BY BILL MURRAY (of 194) | A-Z Quotes

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No post contained the quote above, but both yours and Oklahoman's sure implied it.

6 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

Kinda sus that people are afraid of making it easier to see a global, imo.

5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

So yes, there's definitely something to what you're saying. And since I don't want to be sent on yet another forced vacation from the forums I'll leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I don't appreciate being called "sus" by Oklahoman and Peregrine Falcon.  I'm just stating my preferences like you are stating yours.  There's no need to cast aspersions.  And I expected better from both of you.

No one called YOU anything. Oklahoman wasn't replying to you nor naming you, and neither was I. And I don't even know what "sus" means. Once again, no one called you anything.

6 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

No post contained the quote above, but both yours and Oklahoman's sure implied it.

Are you "people"? Any time anyone says "people" your first thought is "OMG! he's talking about me." Seriously? Once again, I wasn't talking about you. I wasn't referring to you. I was responding to Oklahoman about "people". FYI, "people" means people in general. It does NOT mean "that person with the word flea in their name."

I don't know what the hell sus means, but dude, calm down. It's gonna be ok. The weekend's almost here.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

And I don't even know what "sus" means.

I've no opinion on this matter, but "sus" is typically short for "suspicious" or "suspect".

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:
5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Suspect or suspicious.

Pretty sure I have been called that in more than one surveillance conversation.

Who told?! Where are the tapes?! Whoever leaked to @Snarky is in a heap of trouble! The entire case has been compromised! *ahem* I mean, I'm sure you're just imagining things.

😛

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Are you "people"?

Yes, I am.  I am one of the few people against the proposal in the thread.  Again, did anyone name me?  No, absolutely not.  Were those statements directed at me and a few other detractors?  Yes, absolutely. 

But this is just becoming an argument over an argument.  So I'll leave it at that before Googly or Crumpet close the thread.  Enjoy your weekend.

Edited by GM_GooglyMoogly
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But this is just becoming an argument over an argument.  So I'll leave it at before Googly or Crumpet close the thread.  Enjoy your weekend.

I disagree with you. 

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

As OP mentioned in the initial post, I'd rather not have chat windows more cluttered than they already are. That's real estate taken up by something entirely unnecessary in local channels, and in global channels you already go by the global name as is. I don't oppose the idea of this being a 'toggle on' option in the chat settings for folks who really want it, mind, but I also don't see much point in it - if someone wants or needs to know another player's global name there's already tons of immediate options. Click their name in the chat window and hit Get Global Name. Right click their avatar and use 'Add Note' (though 'Get Global Name' could definitely be added to that menu, too). Or type /getglobalname "character name"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

6 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Okie ... *sigh*

As long as it is OFF by default and needs to be turned ON.

I have had issues with someone from the Forums with whom I had a heated exchange find me in the game. 

And well ... basically stalk and harass me.

My forum handle does not match my game handle for that very reason.

I had something similar happen on another website, and they figured out my email and home address, which were nowhere on the site.

I will reference the recent Hami thread where we were trying to solve an issues on Excel with the raid and perhaps another server.

The "just play on another server" response that was given is not a solution.

I shouldn't have to make an alt account to have privacy and anonymity.

That is not a solution.

See above.

Just because I want anonymity doesn't mean I have things to hide. 

No conspiracy theories here.

Due to IRL work, I am very much in front of and engaging with people.

As an extreme introvert with other mental health issues, this is so draining.

I crave privacy outside of work.

I am fine with it as long as it is something YOU have to TURN ON.

I shouldn't have to turn it off.

For me the bolder also. As long as it’s something you have to turn on, I have no issue.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

And yet people have to *do something* to see that, as opposed to having it just openly displayed, is the way it is now.

If this were an option in chat settings, then people would have to enable globals in chat to see them which is "doing something" too.

But instead of just changing, say, how a power looks, it's linking to something that could well be tied to their actual identity...

I can understand that and empathize, however if anyone is truly that concerned with their online privacy and anonymity, perhaps they can choose more random global handles to better hide their identity and protect their privacy?

Right now, there's no particularly compelling reason to have that showing.

Nor is there right now a compelling reason to not have it showing in my opinion.  You're welcome to disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Nor is there right now a compelling reason to not have it showing in my opinion.  You're welcome to disagree. 

There are two compelling reasons for the devs to not implement what the OP suggests.

First, you can already do this yourself (both show your global and see other people's) and second, time the devs spend on doing this, which will in no way improve the game, is time that they will not be able to spend working on something that will improve the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There are two compelling reasons for the devs to not implement what the OP suggests.

That's fine that you believe there are.  I don't find any of the reasons given so far to be all that compelling.  You're certainly entitled to your own opinion.  I don't think this idea will ever be implemented nor am I demanding it be done, I just don't find it to be a bad idea. 

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

First, you can already do this yourself (both show your global and see other people's) and second, time the devs spend on doing this, which will in no way improve the game, is time that they will not be able to spend working on something that will improve the game.

This excuse gets tossed around a lot and it never works.  What is or isn't an "improvement" is highly subjective.  There will never be universal agreement on changes made to the game.  Some saw the addition of hard mode TFs as a much needed improvement whereas others saw it as pointless and a complete waste of development effort.  Some see the revamps of hig level enemy groups as a good thing.  Others are complaining about it.  It's all subjective to the individual. 

As for being able to get global names already, yes you can do that, but it isn't necessarily easy or efficient.  We can also send our alts recipes or salvage or inf by using in-game email too, but it would be much easier/efficient if we had global account storage accessible to all characters on an account, which would be an improvement. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Which I did. Reported. 

This is also borderline victim blaming.

Edited by JasperStone
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Forums  - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

Spam Response- Spam, in the context of cybersecurity, refers to any unsolicited and often irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent over the internet. 

If it was added as an optional thing you can tick I am all for it ❤️ Though as a few people said you can do that with binds/macros (Though a lot of players get confused by them so I understand the desire for an option instead). And it would help me a ton know who I am talking to at times without always having to check notes, as sometimes people go for a completely different name and I don't want to treat them like a stranger, but at the same time I can't check my notes of every player that joins an event I run 😄 

Also you can 100% be stalked online unless you want the victim to log off and never back online, I have someone who will stalk every open world event I run and unless I decide "Everyone the event is cancelled because I am going to have to leave." I can't keep them away, only on ignore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Banner3.jpg.79155737d064c3e5bab470e86fe0e248.jpg
❤️ Kheldian Guide ❤️

🎖️ Friday Fashion Contest 🎖️

🗒️Character Wiki🗒️
Friendly reminder that no matter what anyone or anything is saying, you ARE loved AND valued in life no matter what.

Add the toggle if people want it, I don't see the same issues that some of the detractors have said.  Find me in-game on Shin Magmus, say hi if you recognize me from the forums.  I socially interact in this MMO.

• Like 1

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

4 hours ago, Starhammer said:

And this is why I'm loathe to speak up about stuff or propose ideas on the forums. Maybe this whole thread should be deleted.

I don't think that you should stop making suggestions that you think will help other people simply because I or anyone else disagrees with you.

Plenty of people disagree with me, but I still make suggestions from time to time.

You are getting much more feedback on this thread than I usually get when I make suggestions and that means you hit on something that people want to discuss.

Don't get disheartened when the discussion doesn't go your way.

Though I am against it for the reasons that I listed, some people would obviously like this option.

You probably game with some of them, so why not bring it up to them that you posted this here on the forums and ask them to come to the forums and comment about

Just a thought.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Here is how I see this being very useful. Lets say Goddess Laucianna makes a new toon, shes a level 18 blaster named Betty Blaster and she is advertising a posi pt2 on the LFG channel. I'm just running solo radios in Bricks on a lvl 35 tank not necessarily looking for a Posi pt2. If I see Betty Blaster advertise I may not be enticed to leave my radios to play with an unknown variable. However if I saw Betty Blaster (@Laucianna) advertise in the LFG channel then I already know that leader is someone I've played with before and I have a reasonable idea of what to expect and that may get me to bail on my radio and go join her Posi pt2.

The star rating system doesn't really fill this role. It requires that I've rated someone in the past, it requires that person to be in the same zone as me, it requires that I've clicked on the individual and it requires that this person is in my field of view in order to see the stars. This is not an "at a glance" system, it's quite useful but it fills a different role.

Just give it the option to opt out, you don't want your global shown, no problem, just turn it off like we do with hiding from searches and stuff. It could even be off by default and you have to turn it on to participate. 

( @Laucianna, my deepest apologies for even suggesting that you would ever be caught dead in anything but a kheldian 😄)

• Thanks 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen