Can the site *stop* prompting me to enable push notifications?

I don't enable notifications for anything pretty much, yet every few times I hop on the forum I get some sort of prompt to enable push notifications.

I've said no already. If I wanted them, I'd turn them on. I don't want them, I don't want to know they exist, ever.

Is there some way to perma-disable this?

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Posted (edited)

I don't think I've ever seen a single push notification request on these forums?? But admittedly the very first thing I tend to do on every web browser is install a proper popup/ad blocker such as uBlock Origin.

...after a quick hunt I can see an option to enable push notifications at the bottom of my forum account settings page.
I assume that there's an option in there to turn it off again if you've previously enabled it...?

image.png.fc4139259ed2e13a07bd4ff47498354a.png

I regularly browse the forum from at least four different devices (Laptop, Phone, Tablet, Home PC) and multiple browsers and I've never had it whinge at me about these.

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 1

I have never seen a prompt once. Other websites? Yes.  I want to punch a hole through my monitor every time I go to other sites. 

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Nope, I do not have them enabled. I've verified that. Never have.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

55 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Nope, I do not have them enabled. I've verified that. Never have.

I've gotten that pop up on new browsers, but just once since i save the cookie.

I've a hard time believing it's cookies. Given it *just* happened again.

image.png.bf69c25e5c81611f001c182295abcf27.png

Hadn't cleared anything, there's nothing that should be keeping it from keeping my preferences. I just want it to *stop prompting all together.*

What about the OS' browser / notification settings? Like the rest, I've not had one of those since they did their last overhaul of the forums. I admittedly only use Edge / Windows 10 now a days, so I'm not sure about mobile devices, but most of us are quite adept at those settings I imagine. You don't happen to be incognito or something silly like that by chance? Maybe a wonky VPN setting?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Not using mobile (hate trying to squint at those screens,) no VPN, not incognito/private.

Posted (edited)

If you go to Notifications > Options > Push Notifications > Allow Notifications - a pop up in your browser will ask if you want to allow notifications. There you can select "Always Block" and then you'll never see the request to allow push notifications ever again.

Denied.jpg

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Added pic

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.