Granite Armor alternate look

Hi:

When I play my granite tank, it turns me in to a rock boy reminiscent to Optimus Prime, it really aggravates me there are no female optimus prime look.

But then when I read comics, say Superman, his skin is just super tough, and he does not look like the Thing.

So why not give us, at the tailor, a flag we can chose to have super skin and look human instead fruity pebbles or look like we been stoned?

Sue

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm for more options, but you are conflating Superman's invulnerability with Stone Armor. If you want alternate stone/crystal/lava appearances for your Stone Armor character? I'm for it. Taking away the stone though in any form? No, it is stone armor. It should have at least some stone effects for its powers.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

So why not give us, at the tailor, a flag we can chose to have super skin and look human instead fruity pebbles or look like we been stoned?

Because you're playing Stone Armor, not Invulnerability. If you just want "super skin," then you play Invulnerability.

Options are great, but you can't just ask to throw out the visual theme of a set. That power is Granite Armor in the Stone Armor powerset, so rocks are gonna be involved in one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

59 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

Hi:

When I play my granite tank, it turns me in to a rock boy reminiscent to Optimus Prime, it really aggravates me there are no female optimus prime look.

But then when I read comics, say Superman, his skin is just super tough, and he does not look like the Thing.

That's called "Invulnerability." Not "Stone armor."

Pick the set that's most appropriate for your character.

Also Optimus Prime is a robot, not a "rock boy."  Not even in Michael Bay's ... versions.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

Granite is considered a full costume change, which is why it lacks the usual customization options. However, I do wonder if it would be possible to offer multiple pre-made costume options at least, like a crystal skin for example. Still won't have color customization though. 

• Like 3

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

On 5/13/2024 at 4:15 PM, MsSmart said:

it really aggravates me there are no female optimus prime look.

if one assumes rock golems have gender, then I agree with this sentiment

On 5/13/2024 at 5:05 PM, Rudra said:

If you want alternate stone/crystal/lava appearances for your Stone Armor character? I'm for it. 

otherwise, I prefer Rudras take on it

• Thumbs Down 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

5 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

if one assumes rock golems have gender, then I agree with this sentiment

otherwise, I prefer Rudras take on it

I'm fine with a gendered appearance option for Granite Armor. That falls under more rock/crystal/lava appearance options. Not every character that armors up... erm... stones up?... needs to look like a DE monster.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to be able to disengage the 

On 5/13/2024 at 4:10 PM, Trickshooter said:

Because you're playing Stone Armor, not Invulnerability. If you just want "super skin," then you play Invulnerability.

Options are great, but you can't just ask to throw out the visual theme of a set. That power is Granite Armor in the Stone Armor powerset, so rocks are gonna be involved in one way or another.

This argument does not convince me. 

We have stone texture costume parts we can use to simulate granite (and they look better).  If I just want my normal costume to simulate the stone armor powers, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do that.  After all, there are plenty of power sets now that have minimal or no effects options.  There's no reason Granite should be any different (unless, of course, there's a practical coding reason that the effect cannot be de-coupled from the active power).

JMO

• Thumbs Down 3

36 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

I'd like to be able to disengage the 

This argument does not convince me. 

We have stone texture costume parts we can use to simulate granite (and they look better).  If I just want my normal costume to simulate the stone armor powers, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do that.  After all, there are plenty of power sets now that have minimal or no effects options.  There's no reason Granite should be any different (unless, of course, there's a practical coding reason that the effect cannot be de-coupled from the active power).

JMO

Because power sets are built on themes. If you want smaller rocks/crystals/lava clumps? Sure. If you want more human-looking rock/crystal/lava appearances? Sure. If you want to strip out a set's identity/theme? No. Stone Armor is called that because its defenses are based on the character either being stone or using stone as protection. If you don't want a stone/crystal/lava appearance? Then don't use Stone Armor. Minimal FX for Stone Armor is one thing. No FX for Stone Armor is something else entirely.

• Thumbs Up 4

50 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Because power sets are built on themes. If you want smaller rocks/crystals/lava clumps? Sure. If you want more human-looking rock/crystal/lava appearances? Sure. If you want to strip out a set's identity/theme? No. Stone Armor is called that because its defenses are based on the character either being stone or using stone as protection. If you don't want a stone/crystal/lava appearance? Then don't use Stone Armor. Minimal FX for Stone Armor is one thing. No FX for Stone Armor is something else entirely.

Here's the only issue with that - What if I specifically create a character with stone skin?  Maybe I don't want big pieces of rock jutting out or otherwise piled all over them.  IMHO, it should be up to the player to rationalize how or why their powers look or work one way or the other.  And ever since they added power customization and/or 'No FX' options to other sets, the cat's been let out of the bag...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, biostem said:

Here's the only issue with that - What if I specifically create a character with stone skin?  Maybe I don't want big pieces of rock jutting out or otherwise piled all over them.  IMHO, it should be up to the player to rationalize how or why their powers look or work one way or the other.  And ever since they added power customization and/or 'No FX' options to other sets, the cat's been let out of the bag...

Then you ask for an option for a Granite appearance that better works for you. Like I said, minimal FX like some other armors already have is fine. It's the no FX option I oppose. You can ask for a less intrusive version of Granite. No problem. However, it is the Stone Armor set. So it should have something that shows the stone/crystal/lava elements without having to assume the player will just choose to use the stone skin texture for their character. If players want a robust armor set that lacks the stones/crystals/lava, shadows, or other elements of the various armors? There is the Invulnerability set right there waiting to be used. And if you use a stone skin texture for your character? It works very well for portraying a stone character.

Edit: The use of other power sets that can help you portray your character the way you want is an available option to players. Don't want the rocks/crystals/lava of Stone Armor? There is the option of using a more suitable armor set paired with your stone skin texture character.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, biostem said:

Then you make a character with a stone skin costume and choose Invulnerability, same with lots of other concepts. Invulnerability does not mean you necessarily have tough skin, it just means you're some level of invulnerable. You can be invulnerable because you're wearing some kind of armor, for example. I have a character that uses Invulnerability, but I consider her made of diamond and that's what makes her invulnerable. You don't have to pick Stone Armor just because you want a character with stone skin. You only have to pick Stone Armor if you want a character who has rocks and crystals jutting out of them. You can't pick Stone Armor and then say, well I don't want these rocks visible. Then why did you pick Stone Armor?

And yes, there are sets with No FX options for some powers, but those are almost completely found in sets like Super Reflexes, Ninjistu, Willpower, maybe Regen, I can't remember. Sets where FX aren't necessary to convey the sets theme. You can dodge without being swirly, you can regen without being green. But you can't cover yourself in rock armor without rocks.

Also, specifically with Granite Armor, that is such a ridiculous tier 9 that I consider the golem costume part of the trade off of getting it (along with the speed and damage debuffs and inability to jump and fly).

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

@Rudra  I think you may be misunderstanding me.  I don't want to remove the Granite appearance for everyone.  I just want the ability to choose a "No effects" option in the dropdown, for those of us that don't like the look of it.  That way the people that like the rock form can keep using it for their character but, those of us that don't, could choose to turn if off and just keep the normal appearance of our costumes.

Just to clarify what I'm advocating for here.

Just now, Triumphant said:

@Rudra  I think you may be misunderstanding me.  I don't want to remove the Granite appearance for everyone.  I just want the ability to choose a "No effects" option in the dropdown, for those of us that don't like the look of it.  That way the people that like the rock form can keep using it for their character but, those of us that don't, could choose to turn if off and just keep the normal appearance of our costumes.

Just to clarify what I'm advocating for here.

I understand what you are asking for. I just disagree rather vehemently and gave my reasons why.

Just now, Rudra said:

I understand what you are asking for. I just disagree rather vehemently and gave my reasons why.

Well, it sounds like you want to force me to conform to a particular appearance in order to conform to your opinion about thematic aesthetics.  I just can't figure out why you feel like you need me to do that.  Or how it damages your own play experience if I don't.

But, whatever.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Triumphant said:

Well, it sounds like you want to force me to conform to a particular appearance in order to conform to your opinion about thematic aesthetics.  I just can't figure out why you feel like you need me to do that.  Or how it damages your own play experience if I don't.

But, whatever.

Not at all. Ask for a more human appearance if you want. Ask for a gendered appearance if you want. Ask for a less intrusive option that doesn't replace your character model with a DE monster. All good. Options are a good thing. It's the stripping a power set of its identity I oppose. Like I said 6 posts up, if you have a character with stone skin textures and you want that to be your stone armor, then use a different set like Invulnerability. There are options to make what you want without having to strip a power set of its identity. There are options you can request without stripping a power set of its identity. Play your characters however you want. Just make use of what is already available as well and don't ask to strip a power set of its identity.

@Rudra  So you think that if some of the players didn't use that skin, for that particular power, on their particular characters- even if you and the other players that like the monster skin could still choose to use it- you think that would damage your (or players like you) play experience or otherwise disenfranchise you in some fashion. 

If the above is not true, I can't think of any other reason why you would object to me deciding to "strip the power set of its identity", as you put it.  It's my character.  What does that have to do with you?

• Thumbs Down 1

On 5/13/2024 at 3:02 PM, FupDup said:

Granite is considered a full costume change, which is why it lacks the usual customization options. However, I do wonder if it would be possible to offer multiple pre-made costume options at least, like a crystal skin for example. Still won't have color customization though. 

On 5/14/2024 at 4:10 AM, Doc Hornet said:

Maybe instead of rocky lumps and bumps, apply the giant statue stone texture to a character? 

This is what I'd like.  Costume customization should include a few different looks for an alternate model ("full costume change") or should include your own character with a rocky texture applied.  A few options with the later might include "not the face" so you keep most of your face as your look changes.  (Another option would be to use a regular costume change to switch do a different costume slot for Granite Armor, allowing even more flexibility.)

P.S. Does anyone have images of "rocky" superhero characters?  Having a few looks to start a conversation about what options to include would be good.

5 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

This is what I'd like.  Costume customization should include a few different looks for an alternate model ("full costume change") or should include your own character with a rocky texture applied.  A few options with the later might include "not the face" so you keep most of your face as your look changes.  (Another option would be to use a regular costume change to switch do a different costume slot for Granite Armor, allowing even more flexibility.)

P.S. Does anyone have images of "rocky" superhero characters?  Having a few looks to start a conversation about what options to include would be good.

I'm actually not opposed to this solution, either.  Anything that would allow some customization of the same, bland model would be welcome.  I think that's the thing that bothers me the most about it, actually.  COH has one of the most customizable character creators of any game ever made.  I think it was a bizarre decision to force everyone to change into 1 specific, generic-looking rock monster.  I get what its supposed to be modelling, but I think it's a bit unimaginative just to give every character with this particular power the same bland appearance.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, biostem said:

Not a hero, but here's Titan from Invincible:

That's a very simplified design, but also a nice look.  I wonder if there's anyway to do something like that in CoH.