Other Servers - Rebirth, Thunderspy, etc.

I am just curious about whether you are working the devs on other CoH servers? I recently went on the Rebirth server and was impressed by the new costume choices that are available, especially the Bellbottoms with Floral patterns, but there are many other selections that would be wonderful to bring over. Has there been any thought put into working with the other servers to incorporate any of their costume design additions/changes, including power modifications? Or is that contractually forbidden? Just wondering...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

That won't happen.  There's little cooperation between Homecoming and the other servers (Rebirth, Thunderspy, New Dawn, etc.), for various reasons.  And why would Rebirth developers give up one of the big draws to their own server?  That'd be like asking Homecoming to give up one of their big draws (advanced mode content for instance), to the other servers.  That won't happen either.

• Like 2

nope

HC is legit

the others are not

while the other servers have some nifty ideas

the spaghetti code is unstable (or so I've been told)

HC is also looking for volunteers to help with various things

If some of those other devs want to contribute they are as welcome to apply as any of us

• Like 2

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

4 hours ago, Psychic Fury said:

I am just curious about whether you are working the devs on other CoH servers? I recently went on the Rebirth server and was impressed by the new costume choices that are available, especially the Bellbottoms with Floral patterns, but there are many other selections that would be wonderful to bring over. Has there been any thought put into working with the other servers to incorporate any of their costume design additions/changes, including power modifications? Or is that contractually forbidden? Just wondering...

Victory + Paragon + Homecoming
As we mentioned in the announcement FAQ, we are working towards merging in some friendly servers - Victory and Paragon.

Victory will be joining us as our 6th live shard alongside Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting, Reunion and Indomitable. This will likely not take place for at least a couple of months as it’s a fairly complicated process, but we wanted to give you all a heads up so you aren’t surprised when it pops up!

Wasn’t Homecoming working with some other servers?
Our hope is that our license will help us consolidate our userbase with City of Heroes fans from other servers.

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Wasn’t Homecoming working with some other servers?
Our hope is that our license will help us consolidate our userbase with City of Heroes fans from other servers.

FWIW, it was clarified later in a Massively OP interview that "consolidate our userbase with fans from other servers," specifically referred to Paragon/Resurgence and Victory only, not Rebirth, Thunderspy, New Dawn, et al.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

FWIW, it was clarified later in a Massively OP interview that "consolidate our userbase with fans from other servers," specifically referred to Paragon/Resurgence and Victory only, not Rebirth, Thunderspy, New Dawn, et al.

Right - I was adding what you quoted to show that Homecoming wants other server's players to come to their server 😄

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 hours ago, Psychic Fury said:

Or is that contractually forbidden? Just wondering...

Speaking as someone who is not a dev, but who has a little bit of experience with contracts, I can tell you that it probably is contractually forbidden for the Homecoming devs to work with or help other servers in any way.

The Council of Thirteen (the group who controls Homecoming) has also probably signed NDA's which forbid them from discussing the contract and/or certain portions of the contract.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Probably can talk to servers that are inclined to join into HC, but I doubt that they can talk about it in the open.    At least one of the other servers is openly hostile, so I wouldn't see any traction there.  Cooperation amongst them all would be great, but realistically...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Playerbases notwithstanding, if you were the proverbial "big fish in a small pond", (with total and complete control over updates or what gets added), why would you give that up?  So you can take marching orders from the HC devs?  (No insult intended).

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

Playerbases notwithstanding, if you were the proverbial "big fish in a small pond", (with total and complete control over updates or what gets added), why would you give that up?  So you can take marching orders from the HC devs?  (No insult intended).

And my impression is that several of the other servers were expressly created "because (____) Homecoming (and/or Leo) and the horse they rode in on."  A dev team founded on that basis isn't even going to consider working with Homecoming.  (I don't even think they work much with each other.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Thunderspy has a playerbase that vehemently believes HC is lying about its server costs, that Leo is some sort of Antichrist, and so on. Probably best to avoid them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

Posted (edited)

I kind of like it that there's a variety of servers out there with a variety of development philosophies and goals. Choice is good.  And honestly, the more servers there are, the more likely it is that CoX will survive long-term in some form at least.  As we learned on the live servers, just because something is big and official doesn't mean that it's safe from being shut down.

And specifically to the OP's question, from the start the HC devs seems to have pursued a policy of only including content that was either a) from the original game files and therefore clearly belonged to NCSoft or b) was IP owned by HC themselves.  I imagine this was to make the negotiations as smooth as possible, and I don't see why that would change now that HC have the license.  I'd be very surprised if keeping the IP situation clean and straightforward wasn't a condition of that.

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

7 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Why don't they all work together to make COX 2?

So you’d be happy with no updates and changes over the next few years while they dedicate their time to creating a whole new game?

One they don’t have the rights to, and therefore probably wouldn’t be able to market

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

So you’d be happy with no updates and changes over the next few years while they dedicate their time to creating a whole new game?

One they don’t have the rights to, and therefore probably wouldn’t be able to market

Yes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

See: Every "successor project" started right after sunset.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

I'm curious if you mean to do so as an extensive reworking of the existing game code, since trying to get a hold of a new game engine, then create everything else basically from scratch is nearly insurmountable, given what other "successors" have run up against...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

2 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Yes

That was City of Titans.... A team tried to create "COX 2" after the shut down 10 years ago.  While significant strides were eventually made, it still hasn't been released.

Edited by Frozen Burn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

That was City of Titans.... A team tried to create "COX 2" after the shut down to years ago.  While significant strides were eventually made, it still hasn't been released.

Oh, wow i totally forgot Titans was a thing I have not heard anything new on the progression.

30 minutes ago, Psychic Fury said:

Thanks for the input! I understand that there is some animosity among some of the teams but hearing that you are bringing other servers into the fold is very exciting, can't wait!

I don't think it's animosity... it's just difference of ideologies.  

When the game first came back, we are pretty much one HUGE happy COH family all together.  There were a few outliers with their own personal servers for just their few friends... But mostly, all were together.  Eventually, there was some ideology differences in the devs on the direction they wanted to go, so they split into Homecoming and Rebirth teams.  With the code being leaked and out there, a few more solo servers popped up here and there too.  

Even through all this, HC and Rebirth did work together in trying to get licensing with NCSoft.  Clearly Rebirth fell out of the running somehow as HC got the license.  But they were working together and talking to one another.  I know they've stated they've shared ideas and such. 

But now, post-license, I suspect Rebirth, Thunderspy, and some of the other smaller one-off servers are all just happy doing their own thing and being in control of their own stuff.  (I am not in the know on this - this is just my impression.)

I still have hope that one day - probably a few years from now - that at least Rebirth would join HC and we combine the best of what they have with what we've got here.  

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

See: Every "successor project" started right after sunset.

Yeah.  I am entirely unsurprised that none of them have ever really gotten off the ground.  Even back then I knew they had no idea what they were getting into.  (Especially the ones overconfidently predicting we'd all be together in a new City within a year.)

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

14 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Why would they want to?  I think you're forgetting this isn't anyone's full time job.  These servers are run by volunteers in their spare time. 

• Microphone 1