The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

QOL add new travel options from the S.T.A.R.T vendor

Just wondering if this has ever been asked before.  I love superspeed, I take it on 90% of my characters and teleport usually accounts for the other 10%.  For those two sets, and also the Super Jump crowd, I totally see the necessity of the multiple temporary jump packs because there are a whole lot of places that fly is not a requirement, is at least really, really convenient. 

Occasionally however, for theme, I do want to choose Fly or Mystic Flight, and I again come to the realization, that I hate flying (or hovering) in caves, offices, even sometimes on open maps.  I'm just a horrible flyer, despite playing since live.  So when I have a flyer, or porter, I am stuck slogging through missions with Sprint alone.  Yes, I'll slot swift an sprint with run speed IOs, but slots can be so critical in a fully IO'd build that I only use the base.  Also, I do use the prestige powers like Athletic and Ninja run, but since there is no way to slot those for End Redux and to my knowledge, there has never been any movement to reduce the End Cost, for most builds, I have to cut them off at some points.  Which leaves me back to slogging through maps.  The days of me being able to squeeze in 2 travel powers left the station a long time ago.

So I had to wonder, why is there not an option for other travel powers offered in START?   Since I don't want to leave out wanna be jumpers, I would like to see a temporary jump pack as well.  At least for Super Jump, there is an temporary power that exists, but only from KR safeguard mishes, the Zero-G Pack.  I don't know that there was ever a temp power for Super Speed but I would hope that it would not be hard to come up with one.   My idea would that these of course would be below base levels for the powers, but I would still love to have these options. 

I'm a little confused 😅 The START vendor does sell multiple ways to get flight, better jumping, and better speed? You even list them here, so are you wanting more variety out of the options or just less end cost on the current ones?

• Like 1

Banner3.jpg.79155737d064c3e5bab470e86fe0e248.jpg
❤️ Kheldian Guide ❤️

🎖️ Friday Fashion Contest 🎖️

🗒️Character Wiki🗒️
Friendly reminder that no matter what anyone or anything is saying, you ARE loved AND valued in life no matter what.

Yeah, never-mind. I didn't realize the flight powers from the vendor have the same endurance cost as ninja run and the like. I still would like to be able to buy the Zero-G pack from the START vendor just because 😃

• Haha 1

Some other way to get the zero-G pack would be fine and could be fun.

Not sure I understand about the endurance issue of things like ninja/athletic run though.  Turn them on to move inside a mission and turn them off once you find a mob to start combat? When mob defeated, turn it back on if the next mob is far enough away that it'll make a difference. They don't have any animation time, so it is literally a quick click or button press.  It is literally how I use them anyway.

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

Not sure I understand about the endurance issue of things like ninja/athletic run though. 

I think the END issue they are talking about is how much END those powers cost relative to each other. However, all the ones I checked have the same END cost: 0.569/s. And that was across Athletic Run, Beast Run, Cheetah Travel, Coyote Travel, Flying Carpet, Jump Pack, Ninja Run, Panther Travel, Rocket Board, Steam Jump, and Void Skiff. (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=prestige.prestige_travel)

(Edit: And if it isn't, and it is about being able to maintain their END pool in combat with the temp travels on, I agree with you. Just turn them off when not needed.)

Edited by Rudra

On 6/18/2024 at 10:58 AM, Warspite said:

I still would like to be able to buy the Zero-G pack from the START vendor just because 😃

you mean like

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Inherent_Powers#Jump_Pack

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Steampunk_Pack#Steam_Jump_Travel_Power

that you can buy from the START vendor?

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I'm fairly certain they specifically wanted the Aesthetics of the Zero-G Pack in this case, and I understand that desire.  I always use Small Longbow Jetpack for my fly power as a default because it has a small and unobtrusive model. 

• Like 2

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Honestly, those aren't the same as the Zero G pack. The 0G pack gives a longer period of shorter "bursts" of vertical movement - well, just like Superjump. The two you list are just one big boost for an amount of time, then are off while they recharge. They're *really* not like travel powers.  (For instance, you can use SJ to get to the top of the tall tower in ... forgetting the name of it, the first Praetorian zone, and back down again. I *believe* last time I tried that with one of those packs, I had to make one long jump and wait for it to recharge.

(It does match the height, having just checked, of starting with the double jump from superjump... which is just barely not enough to get there. But with regular SJ or the Zero G pack, you can just hop up the side of the building easily. With those packs, you'd have to either have SJ or some secondary power - like the jetpack they give now at startup - to make that final leap and have time to move as needed, or sit and wait for the rather long recharge.)

Edited by Greycat

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

• 4 weeks later
6 hours ago, DrRocket said:

How about a permanent flight without the self affect inconvenience? Ok to charge twice as much.

Regards

If you are referring to the Void Skiff, Rocket Board, and Flying Carpet powers you can buy, those are Affect Self Only because there are no animations for power sets that have them. So in order for them to stop being Affect Self Only, the dev team's lone animator will have to make new animations that incorporates the Void Skiff, Rocket Board, and Flying Carpet for every power in the game. So that poor animator will have to make new animations for every power available to players 3 times.

If you don't want to take Fly or Mystic Flight, and you want to fly but not be limited to Affect Self Only powers, you can buy a jet pack from the START vendor.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:44 PM, Warspite said:

Occasionally however, for theme, I do want to choose Fly or Mystic Flight, and I again come to the realization, that I hate flying (or hovering) in caves, offices, even sometimes on open maps.  I'm just a horrible flyer, despite playing since live.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:44 PM, Warspite said:

So I had to wonder, why is there not an option for other travel powers offered in START?

On 6/18/2024 at 8:58 AM, Warspite said:

Yeah, never-mind. I didn't realize the flight powers from the vendor have the same endurance cost as ninja run and the like.

On 7/15/2024 at 3:02 PM, DrRocket said:

How about a permanent flight without the self affect inconvenience? Ok to charge twice as much.

4 hours ago, DrRocket said:
21 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

spacer.png spacer.png

There is always a smart one, the context I believe was Pv2 powers...

On 7/15/2024 at 5:02 PM, DrRocket said:

Regards

The point is that the P2W/START powers aren't supposed to fully replace actual travel powers you have to invest a power pick in.  On top of all that, and as others have stated, the Void Skiff and Hoverboard powers aren't compatible with existing animations.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:31 PM, biostem said:

The point is that the P2W/START powers aren't supposed to fully replace actual travel powers you have to invest a power pick in.  On top of all that, and as others have stated, the Void Skiff and Hoverboard powers aren't compatible with existing animations.

That makes sense, thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be all for START vendors selling limited function, captured Sky Raider teleporting backpacks.  "We didn't get the resupply fuel, just captured the backpack, so you'll have limited usage." might be handy getting behind mobs in caves.