The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Damage issues

Darkone519

Where's Aim and Build up? Those powers greatly add to your tohit/damage, which you can slot a gaussian proc in there for another 100% damage boost.

Also what are you fighting? Energy blast uses Energy and Smashing damage which are two of the most resisted damage types in the game.

You're chosen power types also have the ability to slot up to 3 -resistance procs in the attacks. 

Are you an incarnate? If so what incarnate powers do you have? Also what level of mob are you fighting?

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 2

I suspect that you've been fighting enemy groups resistant to Smashing and Energy damage.

As an aside: Do you know about

• Attuned Enhancements
  • Enhancement Diversification
  • Like 1

The IOs you've slotted seem a bit random. You get a lot out of stacking small bonuses. As others pointed out I also don't see either Aim nor Build-up which are the bread and butter of a Blaster.

Lastly, if you haven't, use Mids to showcase your build and to also import the builds you finds in the forums: https://midsreborn.com/

This is what happens when we tell people to just enjoy the game and don't worry about your build.

They get frustrated because we didn't give them an easier way to understand the enhancement system.

Then we have to do all this remedial work on the symptom of the issue instead of fixing the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

My opinion: I think the enhancement choices are only part of the issue. A bigger issue IMO is that there are so many attacks, and there isn't a lot of synergy between the Melee attacks/aura/PBAoE and the Knockback from the Energy attacks (and Mace Beam Volley). Web Envelope may be helping to mitigate knockback.

I'd say this is a fine rookie experiment to see what all then different attacks do, and then consider trimming back on them an repurposing slots. Minimally, I'd replace at least one of the attacks with Combat Teleport, to be used with the melee/PBAoE followups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tidge said:

My opinion: I think the enhancement choices are only part of the issue. A bigger issue IMO is that there are so many attacks, and there isn't a lot of synergy between the Melee attacks/aura/PBAoE and the Knockback from the Energy attacks (and Mace Beam Volley). Web Envelope may be helping to mitigate knockback.

I'd say this is a fine rookie experiment to see what all then different attacks do, and then consider trimming back on them an repurposing slots. Minimally, I'd replace at least one of the attacks with Combat Teleport, to be used with the melee/PBAoE followups.

I was also trying to find some SOs for my new sub level 20 character and since for once I was not using magic origin I was lost trying to find recharge in the ocean of SOs. Defense buff, defense debuff, interruption, heal, stun, knockback, immobilize, etc etc etc. Sheesh.

12 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Mostly looks ok, but missing Aim and Build Up, and Power Push doesn't do damage.

FYI.....   Power Push does do very minimal damage:  16.77 (8.38 Smashing + 8.38 energy) base at lvl 50.  

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=blaster_ranged.energy_blast.power_push 

Not really worth slotting up for damage, imo, as it's mostly just to get foes away from you.  But, if you've got the slots burn, I guess - but if it were me, I could most likely find better use for the slots elsewhere.

On 6/17/2024 at 7:21 PM, Darkone519 said:

I have a 50 veteran magic blaster and pretty much have slotted sets in my powers and seem to me that I am not doing that much damage now,where did I go wrong at?

3.jpg

powers 2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

powers.jpg

1. Go to the utilities subforum section and download and apply your current characters build/sets to the mids version, then click drag the build file from your comp to upload here to the forums.  This way we can more readily look at the stats more effectively and expeditiously.

2.  Sometimes less is more.  If your goal is damage, then maximizing simple attack chains that you can readily do without cool down gaps can be better in various cases than taking over a dozen attacks that you'll never be able to pull off in most encounters. This then can leave you with the capabilities to take other powers that can either augment your damage and or your survivability and other things as well.   

3.  In relation to point 2, Energy has a alot of options for slotting and using FFback procs for +recharge to make your attack chains faster and do more damage.

4.  From the look of your build as well, it seems your just primarily playing rather casually and there's not much of a need for min/maxing if so.  You're not looking to be running in hardmode 4 star content after all.  If you are, then you even more so need to change your considerations.

i would say that whilst there improvements available to your build OP, your strongest attacks look to be slotted reasonably well for damage therefore they should still hit reasonably hard. your build isn’t wildly off course but there’s things which can refine it

e.g power burst, snipe, positronic fist appear to be slotted reasonably well at a glance

you may be finding that against higher level bosses things don’t feel as impactful - a +3 boss for example won’t wilt as quickly as they did in the lower levels, but should go down pretty quickly

there’s a lot of good advice in this thread, especially around picking up aim, buildup and reducing the amount of attacks you have to focus on the most damaging ones. your primary attacks should strive have 90-95% ish dmg when slotted

Normally, I don't like the sort of default advice to "Slot a Force Feedback %+Recharge" in all/most powers that do Knockback... I especially don't like it for the Energy Blast primary for Blasters. Why you ask?

• Energy Blast attacks are mostly already pretty quick to recharge
  • The quick recharging attacks don't have good %proc chances
  • Blasters benefit quite a lot from set bonuses (Range, Accuracy, +Recharge, etc.)
  • Energy Blast (and Atomic Manipulation) is pretty much doing pure Energy/Smash damage, an off-type %damage would probably be a better choice than %+Recharge
  • Knockback doesn't bother me, but with the combination of range and melee I think a 100% Sudden Acceleration/Overwhelming Force KB->KD piece in those Knockback AoE might make attack chains go smoother than just hoping for %+Recharge

There is something else about this combination (Energy/Atomic) that is I think slightly more subtle and disfavors seeking %+Recharge. There is IMO a nice combination of both range/melee and single-target/AoE attacks available. This allows for a good variety of set choices (again, bonuses) and would allow an Energy/Atomic Blapper to shuffle up attack sequences based on the enemy spawns... this will be most evident if soloing x8 when there will be lots of spawns (that survived Nova) and are not standing near each other.

I don't have this specific Blaster Combination, but I do have both Energy primary Blasters and Atomic secondary Blasters. Neither of them need %+Recharge, or Hasten, to be effective murder machines.  All of these are "Blappers" that have solid mixes of range/melee/ST/AoE attacks.

• Microphone 1

1: slot for more recharge sets.

2: leverage ffb in your aoe.

3: once you are satisfied with your damage, it's time to goof around with procs. The value from point 2 increases here.

Edited by ScarySai

On 6/17/2024 at 6:21 AM, Darkone519 said:

seem to me that I am not doing that much damage

What are you comparing your damage output to, though?  What enemies are you fighting?  What's their level compared to yours?  Do you have incarnates unlocked?  If so, which ones do you have slotted?  There are a lot of factors besides your enhancements that can factor into this...

3 hours ago, Darkone519 said:

Thanks for the help and suggestions,after trial and error and 4 respecs later it's work good and I do have all my incarnate powers and I am a lvl 50 veteran is now 87

unnamed (1).jpg

Those last 3 Damage IOS in Nova are doing very little for you.  You are ED capped with just 3 of them.  If you're not going to put a set in Nova, then at least replace those last 3 damages with 1 Acc and 2 Rechs.  Or... 1 Acc, 1 Rech, and a damage proc (Armageddon Chance for Fire Damage would be my choice to mix up damage type) - this would proc a lot given the high base recharge of the power and it being an AOE.  You seem to have very little +global accuracy or recharge in your build, so having a bit more Acc and Rech in your nuke helps you to actually hit the mobs and it to come back faster so you do more overall damage overall.  

• Like 2