The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Trying to Repay Market Mistakes

For a blind shot in the dark...

I had some Enhancement Converters listed on the auction house for 65K sell for quite a bit more than that.  I presume this was a case of user error on the buyer's part, but I would like to make them whole if I could.  The time frame would have been between 0:00 GMT and 16:00 GMT June 17th, 2024.  If someone think this was them, please reach out with counts/amounts and I would like to discuss making them whole.  (From asking around, the AH is common among servers, so this might be easier said than done, but I'd like to try.) 

I'm not on the forums that often (first post, actually), but I'll check back in a few days to see if anything can be arranged. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Not me this time, but a few months ago I was a bit inebriated and bid 10,000,000 on a stack of EOEs. I think I was trying to pay 10,000 a piece, but oh well someone probably needed that 100 mil more than me.

The issue is you're pretty much on the honor system and a bit of a guessing game. Hopefully the influence wasn't a large portion of your buyer's wealth. If anything though they might use it as a learning experience to be careful typing in bids.

Well hopefully you find them, otherwise you can always donate the excess to a new player if you want to pay it forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Game Master
On 6/22/2024 at 4:35 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Not me this time, but a few months ago I was a bit inebriated and bid 10,000,000 on a stack of EOEs. I think I was trying to pay 10,000 a piece, but oh well someone probably needed that 100 mil more than me.

The issue is you're pretty much on the honor system and a bit of a guessing game. Hopefully the influence wasn't a large portion of your buyer's wealth. If anything though they might use it as a learning experience to be careful typing in bids.

Well hopefully you find them, otherwise you can always donate the excess to a new player if you want to pay it forward.

Excellent idea. I think all of us have spent more than we expected on something due to fat fingers and lack of attention. Paying that inf forward is probably the best way as bad actors will come forward and swear it was their inf. And we can't prove them right or wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Paying that inf forward is probably the best way as bad actors will come forward and swear it was their inf. And we can't prove them right or wrong.

Gwyneth doesn't need your money!

Gwyneth Paltrow | Alamy Stock Photo

• Haha 3

Who run Bartertown?

i typically buy 600-700 converters at a time, to keep my stock over 3000. there was one time where instead of 717,170 for 10, i obliviously clicked 60 or 70 orders of 7,171,710 for 10. i have no idea how many i actually bought, probably 500-600, but maybe more. the problem is when you put in an accidental high order like that, it fills out FAST! once i realized my mistake i was like AHHHHH! picture me desperately trying to cancel rapidly disappearing orders. 😁

i'm not worried about it, i can afford to make stupid mistakes like that occasionally. i am sure i helped some people out financially. i am willing to pay that price for being ridiculous on occasion. 😄

i would not ask for a refund for that, but it is appreciated when people do offer. i have sold enhancements for 10x the normal price and i have always offered on general to rebate the buyer 90%, but i have never had a taker. i know that while i can afford costly mistakes, others cannot.

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

All sales are final.

No refunds are ever expected or offered.

Diligently paying attention to typing your bids and sales correctly is its own reward. Practice that diligence in the game, so it protects you in real life.

Well, work travel is done, and still no bites, so I will close the window here. 

For the curious (now that I will not be using the details to vet claims), I netted about 104M (after commission) from 20 Enhancement Converters.  Interestingly, it was at two separate prices; 10 sold at 6.5M each, while another 10 sold at about 5.05M each.  I didn't even spot it immediately; I had left a lot of converters for sale overnight, and claimed multiple stacks in succession.  It was only a minute later that I realized I had 110M instead of the expected 6M or so.  🙂

I'll treat at least some of as a windfall.  I'm outfitting my first 50 since I stopped on live, so I can use it.  That said, there's merit in the suggestion to sharing around, too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Take it to good use and enjoy. All of us copying here have been one both ends of the equation some time or other 😎

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

I have suddenly realized that many market mistakes happen...only the other way. Let me elaborate: 

In my efforts to collect the inf from my tedious conversions, I have placed my items for sale too cheaply. 

It's apparent to me that every one of you who has ever purchased a pvp IO owes me at least 1 million inf. And that's just the market niche I talk about! 

Some of you owe me 10's of millions! 

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2024 at 7:49 PM, Ukase said:

I have suddenly realized that many market mistakes happen...only the other way. Let me elaborate: 

In my efforts to collect the inf from my tedious conversions, I have placed my items for sale too cheaply. 

It's apparent to me that every one of you who has ever purchased a pvp IO owes me at least 1 million inf. And that's just the market niche I talk about! 

My career as a marketeer was built around buying stuff that other players sold too cheaply.

So thank you Ukase.

Also, no refunds!

On 7/21/2024 at 8:49 PM, Ukase said:

No!  We marketeer on different shards and don't give me any of that "market is cross server" baloney!  I'm not listening!  YOU CAN'T HAVE MY MONEY!

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:49 PM, Ukase said:

The check is in the mail

On 7/23/2024 at 12:35 PM, Ironblade said:

No!  We marketeer on different shards and don't give me any of that "market is cross server" baloney!  I'm not listening!  YOU CAN'T HAVE MY MONEY!

Did someone say they wanted some money?

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Did someone say they wanted some money?

Who doesn't? I know Snarky could use some. I could use some, but would feel dirty asking. Besides, I have my own I could use. But it would be a lot more fun to use yours. 

5 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Who doesn't? I know Snarky could use some. I could use some, but would feel dirty asking. Besides, I have my own I could use. But it would be a lot more fun to use yours. 

Aw, thanks for asking!  No.

Who run Bartertown?