AR/trap how is there not already a thread on this

ryokoryu

So I am leveling an AR/traps at the moment.  26 now and OH MY POOR BLUE BAR.  I have an exploit weakness 4 set in my snipe for it's 7 to hit and when combined with tactics atm I am sitting at around 97 to hit.  Thinking of going Lady Gray for acid mortar and not sure what to do with burst.  Slug has 2 pieces of overwhelming force that I got out of my 2 summer blockbuster runs.  I am wondering if I should spec burst for accurate defense debuff since shield breaker is so useful to my endurance hungry self or if I should just wait til incarnate to fix that.  I respeced out of M30 grenade as it pretty much makes me just have to go into rest mode int he middle of a fight.  BTW I have SO end redux in my powers atm x2 end red SO in burst, in slug, in buckshot and still end up resting after every fight.  basically 2 end redux 2 acc setup in those right now.  x3 SO end mods in stamina.  I assume the end problems will go away at some point but I have no idea what I am doing building this at the moment.

I was looking at something like this for my AR/Traps, but to be honest leveling her has been so painful that I haven't gotten her past level 15.

Traps just... doesn't... do anything at low levels, either for yourself or for your team.

Honestly I really only want Traps for the Force Field Generator (ez defense), Acid Mortar (repeatable -res), and Poison Gas Trap (-1000% regen)

I don't know what I want for my Ancillary pool.  Soul Mastery seems the best because you can get perma soul drain, which I like in theory, but in practice seems like it will be at odds with my planned playstyle of "stay far away and shoot".

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

First Impressions: Level 50 Technology Corruptor

Primary Power Set: Assault Rifle

Secondary Power Set: Traps

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Villain Profile:

Level 1: Burst -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), AchHee-ResDeb%(7)

Level 1: Web Grenade -- Acc-I(A)

Level 2: Slug -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(7), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Apc-Dam%(11), FrcFdb-Rechg%(11)

Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)

Level 6: M30 Grenade -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(17), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(19), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(19), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21)

Level 8: Triage Beacon -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(25), Prv-Absorb%(25)

Level 10: Acid Mortar -- AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(A), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(27), AchHee-ResDeb%(27)

Level 12: Hover -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(29), WntGif-ResSlow(29)

Level 14: Sniper Rifle -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(31), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(31), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(31), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Dcm-Build%(33)

Level 16: Force Field Generator -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(33), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), RedFrt-Def(34), RedFrt-EndRdx(34), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(36)

Level 18: Flamethrower -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(37), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(37)

Level 20: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(37)

Level 22: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Flight-I(39)

Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)

Level 26: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(39), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--Build%(42)

Level 28: Kick -- Empty(A)

Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResKB(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(42)

Level 32: Full Auto -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(45)

Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)

Level 38: [Empty] -- Empty(A), Empty(46)

Level 41: [Empty] -- Empty(A)

Level 44: Poison Trap -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(45), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46)

Level 47: [Empty] -- Empty(A), Empty(48), Empty(48), Empty(48), Empty(50)

Level 49: Ignite -- Rgn-Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(50)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Scourge

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13), EndMod-I(15)

Level 0: Marshal

Level 0: Born In Battle

------------

Mostly because traps is terrible. It has one great power (ff generator), a couple of decent powers (acid mortar, poison gas trap) and a bunch of mediocre to garbage powers. Weak mitigation, clunky mechanics that are at odds with how teams play, and stupidly long cooldowns. You're better off just being an AR/Devices blaster.

Hopefully traps gets some trickle down love from the devices changes currently on test.

Mostly because traps is terrible. It has one great power (ff generator), a couple of decent powers (acid mortar, poison gas trap) and a bunch of mediocre to garbage powers. Weak mitigation, clunky mechanics that are at odds with how teams play, and stupidly long cooldowns. You're better off just being an AR/Devices blaster.

Hopefully traps gets some trickle down love from the devices changes currently on test.

But it's so awesome and u don't get the awesome SCOURGE as a blaster.  Not saying the set can't use some work but it is also a decent solo set as the setup allows you to do your stuff before you grab the mobs.  There are better effective sets for solo sure, but none with the same tactical feel.  Preping for the fight then pulling things into your minefield and watching them splat is fun.  This game is not all about the min/max.  Some enjoy the min/max and I like to min/max certain characters.  Some people like to roleplay.  I like to do that and this is definitely a roleplay type character. 

I had a 50 Fire/Traps Corr on Freedom.  I can't comment on AR/.  But I can comment on traps.

Clearly the standout powers are Force Field Gen, Acid Mortar, and Poison Trap.  This is the holy trinity of the set.  They are worthy of significant slotting.  I also made extensive use of Caltrops to slow down mobs running out of Rain of Fire and/or running out of range of the other debuffs.  And Seeker Drones can take an alpha strike.  I don't recall having significant endurance issues.  At least not beyond your usual Corr.  I wanted Triage Beacon but couldn't manage to fit it into the build.  (This was before inherent fitness).

Trip mine is somewhat problematic because the team isn't going to wait around for you to place a bunch of them on the ground.  I didn't take Time Bomb.  This is probably the biggest drawback of the set; not having an adequate Tier 9.  But the holy trinity goes a long way toward making up for these deficiencies.  It's a decent set considering it's a port from Masterminds.  (Corruptors have better modifiers anyway).  FFG is better mitigation than most of us can get.  Much easier to cap defenses with IO's. 

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

Is the poison trap actually worth slotting for hold? I figured the big deal was the -1000% regen debuff for AVs, which can't be enhanced.  But, I haven't actually got the power yet, so I don't know how good it is haha  ;D

I guess you might as well though - if /Traps really has that few powers that are worth using then you should be swimming in slots  ::)

I'd really like to see Trip Mine's animation cut down to like, 2 seconds, and for Time Bomb to be replaced with the Gun Drone pet from /devices.  Would go well with the FFG.

Is the poison trap actually worth slotting for hold?

I don't know if it was worth it or not.  But I did it anyway.  3 recharge, 3 hold.  Seems like the hold duration is kinda short.  You can always put Neuronic Shutdown and Ghost Widow's Embrace in there for a chance at some extra Psy damage.  The main thing is the recharge.  If you find yourself short elsewhere, and you had to pull from something, this would probably be it.  But I looked into it at the time and decided to slot it up.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.  You're heavily reliant on these three powers.  You want them to be as effective as they can be, even if it isn't optimal.

and for Time Bomb to be replaced with the Gun Drone pet from /devices. 

This would violate the cottage rule, unfortunately.  It's a good rule that I think should be kept. 

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

Is the poison trap actually worth slotting for hold?

I don't know if it was worth it or not.  But I did it anyway.  3 recharge, 3 hold.  Seems like the hold duration is kinda short.  You can always put Neuronic Shutdown and Ghost Widow's Embrace in there for a chance at some extra Psy damage.  The main thing is the recharge.  If you find yourself short elsewhere, and you had to pull from something, this would probably be it.  But I looked into it at the time and decided to slot it up.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.  You're heavily reliant on these three powers.  You want them to be as effective as they can be, even if it isn't optimal.

and for Time Bomb to be replaced with the Gun Drone pet from /devices. 

This would violate the cottage rule, unfortunately.  It's a good rule that I think should be kept.

The cottage rule was a guideline anyways. Fear powers going from stuff that would get you insta kicked to actually useful by changing their mechanics.

I mean, I guess it could ALSO summon a mine. Not like that would make traps remotely OP.

Id prefer to see it get a souped up version of Omega Maneuvers, that taunts while debuffing and then blows up.

Triage Beacon also needs love badly. Make it mobile and add recovery or healing aura. It's long recharge is in no way justified by the pitiful regen and immobile aspect.

I think if Triage Beacon had +recovery, it would be far more popular. Not that I have many gripes with Traps (besides Time Bomb).

I like that idea of +recovery and ya time bomb is very lackluster.

The rest of traps is good to great, it just plays a lot differently than many other sets.

In general a bit faster cast times would be all I ask for.

I took down a ton of AV's with my fire/traps corr back in the day and never felt useless or too slow on most teams. However you have to get extremely aggressive with traps to keep up when the team starts steam rolling.

• 4 weeks later
On 6/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, Bossk_Hogg said:

I have to utterly disagree here..

Now mind you I am on Defender end with this, so I am not sure how the defense cap would work for Corruptor. 

But I will tell you Traps is a GREAT set..  

On my Defender in the past ( the olden days ) I was soloing 4/8. My biggest issue was the Force Field generator becomes a target as is Acid Mortar which means I am aggroing A LOT of mobs.  So if they kill my FF Gen half my defenses go. 

I have Traps on my Tankermind again which is full defense capped. 

Double Triage Beacon is nothing to complain about.

I will post my defender build when I get home.  But search the old forums in wayback time machine. 

You know whats better than AR Traps.. Fire Traps because Fire has the most AOE powers out of all the sets. 

A silly thing like caltrops keeps mobs moving.  At level 50 you will have enough recharge to drop down 3 Caltrops. 

Trip mine, Poison trap followed by trip mine again will kill just about every mobs in melee range. 

Another trick is you need to keep FF Gen behind you.  Don't resummon FF GEN next to you or in front.. Always behind you.. 

I will say this my AR Device Blaster leveled TONS faster then my AR Traps defender because the DPS output was clearly noticeable and greater with my Blaster. 

My AR Device is Range capped doing 4/8 hovering farms.  I do not have Trip mine on him for that reason.. Hes built for move and shoot. 

I'm working on a petless whips ( Demon) Traps mastermind defense capped build..

Traps is the easiest set to get defense cap with.

My mastermind Traps with some IOs at level 38 is at 40 defenses and soloing 1/8 atm..  Just provoking and dropping trip mines when I can and having pets attack. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later

I'm hoping Traps gets the /Devices treatment.  They changed Trip Mine and Time Bomb into a PbAOE I believe.

Like Plain Guy said Traps is amazing and that's without procs.  Once you add Procs in the equation powers like Poison Trap, Caltrops and Acid Mortar become game changers.

I would go into detail but I could write a paper on Traps proc potential.  Instead, I will steer you to Sir Mishkin's Thread on it.

• 3 weeks later

Highly recommend you make binds or macros that use the location changes score brought

/bind 1 powexec_location me Force Field Generator

this removes the ground target and makes ffg just pop on you like it should lol

/bind 2 powexec_location target Seeker Drones

this makes them go at your target instead of a ground summon 

etc. Makes traps much more bearable to play... 

Edited by kiramon
  • Like 3

I've been playing my AR/Traps and got her up into the high 40s and here's my First Impressions (the character's name, hohoho) of traps:

Traps is really good if you are playing with a team that's willing to work around you and, more importantly, you're playing in "challenging" content, whatever that happens to be for your level & skill level.  On an 'old school' team with dedicated tankers and if the team has a few unslotted lowbies on it, Traps feels like a very reliable way to make hard fights easier and you can set up ridiculous killzones and pull entire rooms on mid-level missions and get away with it.  If you're of the patient build you can drop trip mines everywhere I suppose.

But I'm not looking forward to playing her at 50 because in an environment of judgement powers, crashless nukes, and just plain old good AoE, Traps is VERY slow.  AR/Traps is particularly painful because then I'm just a bad AR blaster with no secondary.  Worse, if you want to keep up with a fast moving team that means that you have to prioritize recharge in your build.  Basically what I'm getting at is that if you're on a team that's wiping spawns in less than 30 seconds, you're going to feel pretty silly playing Traps. 

I've been thinking about rolling the character as a Huntsman instead since that gets you the pew pew of AR, good AoE with 2 grenades, and a boatload of free defense and -Res, which is what I wanted out of Traps, and then I wouldn't have to worry about leaving my debuffs behind on the floor every so often.

Edited by Machariel

I really think Caltrops is wildly underrated by a lot of people.  It doesn't do a ton of damage, but it slows the heck out of mobs and they take time trying to get off the caltrops and that's FREE HITS on them.  At the very least it's a period of no incoming damage from them.   No, you don't want to use Caltrops on the pack that a tank just pulled for AE nuking, but if a group of melee has gotten past to your squishies, toss those bad boys on the ground!

I would like to see Triage Beacon become Triage Drone however.... something mobile that could follow you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 10/22/2019 at 5:07 PM, Machariel said:

I've been playing my AR/Traps and got her up into the high 40s and here's my First Impressions (the character's name, hohoho) of traps:

Traps is really good if you are playing with a team that's willing to work around you and, more importantly, you're playing in "challenging" content, whatever that happens to be for your level & skill level.  On an 'old school' team with dedicated tankers and if the team has a few unslotted lowbies on it, Traps feels like a very reliable way to make hard fights easier and you can set up ridiculous killzones and pull entire rooms on mid-level missions and get away with it.  If you're of the patient build you can drop trip mines everywhere I suppose.

But I'm not looking forward to playing her at 50 because in an environment of judgement powers, crashless nukes, and just plain old good AoE, Traps is VERY slow.  AR/Traps is particularly painful because then I'm just a bad AR blaster with no secondary.  Worse, if you want to keep up with a fast moving team that means that you have to prioritize recharge in your build.  Basically what I'm getting at is that if you're on a team that's wiping spawns in less than 30 seconds, you're going to feel pretty silly playing Traps. 

I've been thinking about rolling the character as a Huntsman instead since that gets you the pew pew of AR, good AoE with 2 grenades, and a boatload of free defense and -Res, which is what I wanted out of Traps, and then I wouldn't have to worry about leaving my debuffs behind on the floor every so often.

Having read your first post (and the thread) I'd say there's a conflict between the desired play style and Traps.  A Huntsman would definitely be a better match for someone wishing to "stay far away and shoot".  Traps at least while trying to move fast needs to be  right smack in the middle of the action.  The AR side of things is very much a ranged set and with Traps is probably best for inviting the next mob(s) over to join you in the debuffs.  

I like traps because of it's hodge-podge of powers that resemble others from different sets. Plus poison trap makes it trivial to solo AVs

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|