Is it time to reimagine the Flight Pool?

Scarlet Shocker

10 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you have to force yourself into a sine wave motion across the map or you will just go up.

You're not using the camera properly.  All of that swooping and diving is you, not the game.

15 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Do NOT tell me "just try harder"

I spent 7 years hopping around with no travel power and I was consistently waiting for my teammates.  Try harder.  You could start by learning how to move in a straight line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Just now, Uun said:

For 30s at a time with a 60s recharge. For me, the decision between Fly and Mystic Flight has nothing to do with Afterburner vs. Translocation. It has to do with whether I want Rune of Protection on that character.

I just use Defense Amplifier and/or Clarion Core Destiny if I want mez protection.  I use Flight instead of Sorcery because Afterburner makes Fly faster than Mystic Flight, stacking Hover prevents Fly from drifting (last time I checked, you still drift with Mystic Flight), Hover is a lot more efficient than Mystic Flight if you want to fly in combat while granting extra defense, and the Flight power pool acts as a very good defense IO enhancement mule.  To each his or her own.

My point was that Mystic Flight isn't any better than Fly, and the Flight power pool is largely fine as is other than Group Fly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Seriously, an enhanced Fly with Afterburner is faster than Super Speed was four years ago.

In Grandville, Fly is faster than everything. Not in most other zones. Certainly not in PI. Certainly not in mission maps. Fly is slow. 

25 minutes ago, Luminara said:

You're not using the camera properly.  All of that swooping and diving is you, not the game.

I spent 7 years hopping around with no travel power and I was consistently waiting for my teammates.  Try harder.  You could start by learning how to move in a straight line.

This is from a vampire, an expert. 

Vtg Family Guy Stewie You Suck Faded Promo Shirt M South Park Funny Cartoon  Y2K | eBay

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This is from a vampire, an expert. 

Vtg Family Guy Stewie You Suck Faded Promo Shirt M South Park Funny Cartoon  Y2K | eBay

But I still get where I'm going before you do.

Without a travel power.

Bring it, Batatouille.  I'll wait where I am, maybe you can reach me before the next century begins.

joker-joaquin-phoenix.gif

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I track movement speed in combat attributes. Besides fly being absolutely very slow in live you also have the perspective issue where bigger characters feel slower than smaller even when they are not. In this case it is distance to the ground and how you use that for gauging speed.

I use fly with afterburner and jump pack and have lots of binds to help. But my base fly speed is ~70mph, and it goes to ~90mph with either jump pack or afterburner and ~107mph with both.

Now I also use teleport on multiple toons. It is a harder power to use and REQUIRES binds to get good value from. But I am in the 90 percentile of first arrivers on my TP characters. Tight turns are TPs weakness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

When I got the Good vs Evil it came with Jump Pack temp/perma    I learned to use this as a "ghetto afterburner"  You can still do this.  If you hit fly, then activate the jump pack you will go faster.  granted you have to force yourself into a sine wave motion across the map or you will just go up.  

You don't need to hit the fire animation for jump pack to give you the speed boost. Track combat attributes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gravitus said:

I am for this as long as we can make it to where MMs can fly solo if they choose to in certain instances.

Now you are talking about expanding the Group Fly problem to Fly, except just for MMs. Instead of complicating the Fly and Hover powers, how about we just tweak/fix Group Fly? That is the core part of even this thread, is that Group Fly causes issues for players within its radius that don't want to be affected by it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teklord said:

Now I also use teleport on multiple toons. It is a harder power to use and REQUIRES binds to get good value from.

No, it does not REQUIRE binds. Binds may be helpful, but I have Teleport on several characters. You just have to be quick with your clicks to get good value from it.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Now you are talking about expanding the Group Fly problem to Fly, except just for MMs. Instead of complicating the Fly and Hover powers, how about we just tweak/fix Group Fly? That is the core part of even this thread, is that Group Fly causes issues for players within its radius that don't want to be affected by it.

Yeah, despite best intentions, I think we got a little off track just trying to come up with alternate solutions. You're correct though, the crux of the issue is that Group Fly is problematic so we should just focus on finding a reasonable solution for Group Fly rather than altering the Flight pool as a whole.

If any Devs are reading this, any chance you could let us know if you are even open to revisions on Group Fly? There seems to be a new Group Fly thread every couple weeks so it seems to be a bit of a hot button topic for the community but I don't recall ever seeing a Dev weigh in on the subject. I'm curious where they stand.

• Thumbs Up 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

4 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

Yeah, despite best intentions, I think we got a little off track just trying to come up with alternate solutions.

I think the biggest issues is that this would be solved easily (from the end user perspective) by making it a standard menu option but, since that's not feasible, we're left having to come up with MacGyver solutions until someone fundamentally rewrites the game code, and no one can agree on which combination of rubber bands and paperclips to use.

And to think: Null was supposed to fix that we didn't even have an option in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

Yeah, despite best intentions, I think we got a little off track just trying to come up with alternate solutions. You're correct though, the crux of the issue is that Group Fly is problematic so we should just focus on finding a reasonable solution for Group Fly rather than altering the Flight pool as a whole.

If any Devs are reading this, any chance you could let us know if you are even open to revisions on Group Fly? There seems to be a new Group Fly thread every couple weeks so it seems to be a bit of a hot button topic for the community but I don't recall ever seeing a Dev weigh in on the subject. I'm curious where they stand.

The last word from a developer on Group Fly was this. -

Let me quote the relevant part:

people who are going to complain about group fly should have it disabled via Null (and that's their fault if they haven't)

Edited by Lunar Ronin
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

1 hour ago, Lunar Ronin said:

The last word from a developer on Group Fly was this. -

Let me quote the relevant part:

Ooooffa, harsh! Thanks for the info!

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

4 minutes ago, PostalExpress said:

Wish I could get a yes/no acceptance popup window for GF, like when "Fortune" is cast on me.

Best guess? Mystic Fortune can work that way because it is an instant effect that applies a duration set buff. As opposed to Group Fly which is a constant effect. For that to work, we would likely have to constantly keep clicking on the choice. Which is most likely why Null the Gull applies a hidden power to characters that prevents Group Fly from affecting them.

• Like 1

• Developer
1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Pfft! . . . Dev Johnny Unitas is barely a dev, more like a baby dev, a dev-lette, un devito (in Spanish).  😁

😠

(Regarding my comments on Group Fly: definitely don't take my word as law on player powers! Not my department. Though I stand by my comment!)

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, lemming said:
3 hours ago, Rudra said:

No, it does not REQUIRE binds. Binds may be helpful, but I have Teleport on several characters. You just have to be quick with your clicks to get good value from it.

Require? No.   It's pretty damn useful though.

You mean like how my post you are quoting says?