July 2019 Donations & Finances

Cipher

I was away from my keyboard, in the time it took me to read the message, grab my wallet, open a browser, and click the link, I missed it.

Obviously, you guys need to increase expenses so the donation window can stay up a little longer.  Maybe add a server this month?

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

Or people could donate less so more people get a chance. Some people on my server drop 50 bucks. I would suggest donating less, and save big donations for when it take longer than a few minutes.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

@Cipher,

Can you tells us more about your Non-Profit plans?  You guys are being very vague about what you are doing there...If you are going a charity route, it would be great if you polled the community to see what they most want to support so that the charity itself doesn't become any kind of stumbling block to donating...I don't see "Homecoming" as a viable charity in itself, which means you guys will be needing to donate cash to some kind of charity, which increases expenses...

You've got the money to go this route now, so can please share where this non-profit is heading?  Pretty Please?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• 2 weeks later

I didn't manage to make the donation window, but did want to make a suggestion to the devs that they make their contingency fund a full month's expenses.  As they saw this time, it is not hard for something unexpected (Paypal issues, changing server companies, etc.) to require an extra month's worth of fees "up front", just like when you are changing rental apartments some extra money is needed for deposits and such.  I've been involved with several nonprofits, and I'm sure the IRS does not have a problem even with a nonprofit to have a months worth of expenses in the bank at any one time. 

I didn't manage to make the donation window, but did want to make a suggestion to the devs that they make their contingency fund a full month's expenses.  As they saw this time, it is not hard for something unexpected (Paypal issues, changing server companies, etc.) to require an extra month's worth of fees "up front", just like when you are changing rental apartments some extra money is needed for deposits and such.  I've been involved with several nonprofits, and I'm sure the IRS does not have a problem even with a nonprofit to have a months worth of expenses in the bank at any one time.

I’d normally agree, but for three factors

1. It's not a non-profit yet, and they really haven't clued us in on how that's going to work...(funding a private server for game play, will likely NOT meet any of the IRS guidelinesfor tax exempt.

2. Since what they are doing is “quasi-legal” at best, keeping income low helps them not trigger NCSoft to get involved

3. Also based one the 2 above reasons, personally i wouldn't support them collecting reserves since there is no way to ensure the game will be there the next month or that the gifts would be donated or returned if it is stopped

Full transparency- i have given for 2 of the last donation windows

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

13 hours ago, SylvanMansion said:

Did the donation window already close?

On 7/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, MTeague said:

More than happy to donate.  You guys raised my favorite game from the dead!

EDIT:   and holy crap, 12 minute later, donations are closed. Glad I squeaked in in time.

From the August donation thread.

Yeah, goal achieved in 12 minutes.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.