Zen and the art of farming

Zolgar

22 hours ago, Zolgar said:

A couple of custom popmenus for farming, one for the pros who need nothing but damage, one for the upandcomers who need defense too.
Just a note, both of these are built to assume you have disabled breakfree and awaken family inspirations, I find those two get in the way too much when doing heavy combining, and as a brute they are ones I basically never need even outside of farms.

New farmer option:

Reveal hidden contents

Menu "FarmNoob"
{
Title "Damage and Defense"
Option "&Enrage" "inspcombine insight enrage$$inspcombine catch_a_breath enrage$$inspcombine respite enrage$$inspcombine sturdy enrage$$inspcombine keen_insight focused_rage$$inspcombine take_a_breather focused_rage$$inspcombine dramatic_improvement focused_rage$$inspcombine rugged focused_rage$$inspcombine uncanny_insight righteous_rage$$inspcombine second_wind righteous_rage$$inspcombine resurgence righteous_rage$$inspcombine robust righteous_rage$$inspexecname righteous_rage$$inspexecname focused_rage$$inspexecname enrage"
Option "&Defense" "inspexecname luck$$inspexecname good_luck$$inspexecname phenomenal_luck"
}

This one will combine everything but purples in to reds, and use reds when you hit 'e', it will use purples when you hit 'd'.

Experienced farmer option:

Hide contents

Menu "FarmPro"
{
Title "Unlimited damage!"
Option "Make &Enrage" "inspcombine insight enrage$$inspcombine luck enrage$$inspcombine catch_a_breath enrage$$inspcombine respite enrage$$inspcombine sturdy enrage$$inspcombine keen_insight focused_rage$$inspcombine good_luck focused_rage$$inspcombine take_a_breather focused_rage$$inspcombine dramatic_improvement focused_rage$$inspcombine rugged focused_rage$$inspcombine uncanny_insight righteous_rage$$inspcombine phenomenal_luck righteous_rage$$inspcombine second_wind righteous_rage$$inspcombine resurgence righteous_rage$$inspcombine robust righteous_rage$$inspexecname righteous_rage$$inspexecname focused_rage$$inspexecname enrage"
}

This will turn everything that gets dropped in to reds and eat reds. Bind the popmenu to E, spam E, win. If you bind it something other than E, I advise changing the option key, too. (such as if you bound it to r, you would also change option to "Make En&rage" as an example).

Information is a bit sketch out there in terms of where to put this file directory, Zolgar. Where does this need to go in this version of CoH Homecoming's folders, precisely?

<install dir>/data/texts/english*/menus

*or if your game is in a different language, use that.

They will need to be saved as .mnu files.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Farming for INF is best done at 50, if you turn XP off you get double influence. Waiting until you have all your incarnates is nice because it speeds up your killing, and veteran levels really help get incarnate stuff crafted.

I had a previous popmenu that created insp but did not consume them working but now nothing is working

does the name of the menu and the name of the file have to match?

what is the exact bind command to use? I thought I had it right but I'm no longer getting a popmenu when I hit e

I cut and pasted the "farmpro" above into damage.mnu and changed the "FarmPro" to "damage" in the first line to see if it helps but it doesn't

Definitely not ZEN to try and get this to work since there are no indication of what is wrong

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

I am an idiot.

The game looks for // at the top of the menu, if it doesn't see it, it just... Says no.

So the popmenu needs to start:

//

Menu

... I stupidly assumed that since you can just use // to preface interior notes, that they would otherwise be ignored. NOPE!

figured it out after reading the guide in popmenus:

• IMPORTANT: MNU files must have at least one line containing a carriage-return at the end of the line above the first "Menu" entry. It can be blank, a full comment, or just the comment tag (//) or any number of those lines otherwise it will not function.

Regarding squelching some of the inspirations like awaken and breakfree, I have disabled small inspirations on my farmer, because I was worried about getting too many "incompatible sizes"
 but am I cutting myself out of potential continuous trickle of small insps? Of course I could just try it both ways

If you want to see a corruptor doing AE farms my toon name is Ebony Rune....I bounce from server to server but play mostly on Excelsior.....Look me up. Fire/Time and I run fire/smash lethal or whatever really. For speed I do +3 x 8, but I can handle +4 x 8. It certainly a skill more than a type of build thing, but I learned how to farm on squishes so I enjoy doing that.

12 hours ago, chrono727 said:

If you want to see a corruptor doing AE farms my toon name is Ebony Rune....I bounce from server to server but play mostly on Excelsior.....Look me up. Fire/Time and I run fire/smash lethal or whatever really. For speed I do +3 x 8, but I can handle +4 x 8. It certainly a skill more than a type of build thing, but I learned how to farm on squishes so I enjoy doing that.

Youre not alone in this. I currently have a dom, 2 controllers, 1 corruptor, and 1 blaster all of which can farm at minimum on +2 or 3/x8. I didn't intend most of them to be able to, but sometimes the way I build sets them up for it. It is, as you said, a skill as much as a build that you learn through a lot of trial and error.

The farms I like are the relentless ones where every mobs queues up to hit you without any respite between "groups". This means you need to be able to take continuous incoming damage for the 5-6 minutes it takes you to clear the map without any rest. I find that often takes a special build since you can't have any time where a particular defensive power is down for example. Or so that you can attak at full speed continously wihtout endurance probelms and keep sustained dmage.

If you do "farm" maps structured like regular content, where you go from group to group in a cave environment for example, then it's not different than soloing any other content. Actually it's easier because I can't think of an AE farm map that has mezzes coming at you so you don't have to worry about that, you get to chose the damage type form the mobs (fire or S/L for exmaple) and some well designed maps have buffer NPCs.

My scrapper before incarnates could do any normal content at +4x8 but had a hard time doing the bloody rainbow farm "continuous damage" because even with capped fire defense and high (but not capped) fire resist the damage would eventually overwhelm the regen and I had to run around the outskirts of the map for a lap or too to avoid some of the incoming damage while my green bar refilled or I had to pop green inspirations. I solved it by taking a Destiny ability that has +regen (rebirth?) so that I can refill every 2 minutes.

Even the bloody rainbow can be handled as almost regular content where you take mobs one at a time (although patrols often join in) but it's so much slower than using the ally for mega agro and have the entire map piling on you at once.

Just like regular content, there are many ways to farm, just find the one that suits your Zen and your character.

An example of what I mean about aggroing the whole map and have it feed into your grider (I'm in hte middle of the pile),  I've probably cleared 2/3 of them at that point and I have not moved once after recahing the ally. I wish I could create this situation every time I run the map, but sometimes the ally doesn't cooperate, but that't the Nirvana to my Zen, to mix metaphors.

I was so busy worrying about taking a screenshot I didn't realized I detoggled Weave which is why my health is moving :) I also was ignoring hte popmenu to generate Red inspirations, under normal circumstances there wouldn't be combinable enhancments in the tray for more than a few seconds.

screenshot_190731-11-48-18.thumb.jpg.a2899aebb5078a1b1db873b7b2e3519a.jpg

Edited by Papaschtroumpf

• 1 month later
8 hours ago, mikeconqueso said:

If I wanted to bind the farmpro pop menu to numpad 0, and click numpad 0 to consume, how would that look?

To make it pop up would be:

/bind numpad0 popmenu farmpro

I think, but cannot swear, that the command line in the popmenu would just need to have the like "Make &Enrage" changed to "Make Enrage &0" - I don't think the popmenu will distinguish between the two 0s.

Anyone got a recommendation for a S/L farm that sidekicks the toon to lvl 49 so you can turn off exp while exemplared and get more inf? I can't handle the fire one. Looking through the Ouro stuff I only found the Hydra Dimension, but I am pretty sure Hydras were nerfed in exp, right?

8 hours ago, Zolgar said:

To make it pop up would be:

/bind numpad0 popmenu farmpro

I think, but cannot swear, that the command line in the popmenu would just need to have the like "Make &Enrage" changed to "Make Enrage &0" - I don't think the popmenu will distinguish between the two 0s.

Tried it. Doesn’t recognize numpad0 after the pop menu pops up. Defaults to regular 0. Also didn’t work with &numpad0. Maybe it isn’t possible?

27 minutes ago, mikeconqueso said:

Tried it. Doesn’t recognize numpad0 after the pop menu pops up. Defaults to regular 0. Also didn’t work with &numpad0. Maybe it isn’t possible?

I  guessing then that popmenus won't recognize the numpad 😞

curiously, do you have NumLock on?