07/23/2019 Extended Maintenance & New Forums

Cipher

39 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

No, it won't, because that's not the white space I'm talking about.

The white space I'm talking about is caused by the sidebar for each post being so huge that even on a one line post it takes up... well, this much space:

Two one-line posts, and it takes up my entire screen.

THAT'S the sort of white space I mean.  The icons need to be made smaller, and the side pane more compact in general.

So above your post was my answer addressing this very issue. Not sure how you missed that considering you quoted my edited text where I mentioned that my answer was referring to 'paragraph spacing' 

Edited by Alty

Game global: @Alty  || Discord: @Alty#2005

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

Global Channel: Repeat Offenders  || Website: www.repeat-offenders.net

📢RETRO RO Teaming  - Details in the Repeat Offenders Club

@Hyperstrike For search results, there's a CONDENSED and EXPANDED option, it's easy to overlook and the default is set to expanded. 

Condensed 
Condensed.thumb.png.def37996dfc6488abab56d1b9dc4ccb3.png

Expanded - Default Expanded.JPG.99f658136d465384b4bad09e3b744aa0.JPG

Here's an additional 'Stupid Forum Trick'   -  Forum View - Hover Topic Preview 
When viewing a list a forum and a list of topics, if you hover over the topic a preview window pops up showing the first and last post. 

Screenshot - Topic Preview

Edited by Alty

Founding member of Repeat Offenders Network  - Making stupidly difficult things easy since 2005 

It would be nice if there was a general 'condensed' view.  Just feels like there's a ton of empty space and I have to scroll a lot to get through the content.

That said, in general I like the change.  It's a clean look and feels responsive.

Edited by firstmagic

It seems there is a lot of polarization on the new forum layout; people either seem to love it or hate it.  I have a theory that an individual's experience and opinion may be directly related to the platform they are viewing it on.  I personally view this on various desktop browsers (Chrome, Opera, and IE), on monitors ranging from 14.1" to 28", and my experience has been consistently bad across all of these.  

I did check out the forums on my phone, and I do admit that it looks much better there.  However, I spend most of my day in front of one computer or another, and so 99% of my time on the forums will be on a desktop platform, so the appearance on mobile devices really doesn't benefit me at all.

So for others who either like or dislike the new look and functionality, what platform are you using?  I'm curious to see whether there is any substance to this theory.

13 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

So for others who either like or dislike the new look and functionality, what platform are you using?  I'm curious to see whether there is any substance to this theory.

So because the forum is a fluid/responsive layout, if you change the width of your browser window the forum view will change views from Desktop to Tablet to Mobile. 

Additionally, I am using the desktop in Chrome on Win 7  and I have the windows font size settings at 125%  So the forum posts look like this: 

forum_view.thumb.JPG.a2ae47f703c0ea4bf343072f67fe7769.JPG

Edited by Alty

• City Council

Alright, as it turns out the call has been made to move back to SMF. Don't anticipate that any posts from the past day will be kept.

Edited by GM Widower
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

23 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Desktop. This is how I see it, it seems to work and look just fine to me!

So this is one point in favor of it just being a matter of personal opinion rather than platform.  I look at the image you posted, and it looks terrible to me.  Way too much horizontal eye scanning needed to process what's on the page!  And if my post had been shorter, it still would have taken up just as much vertical space.  I think the new format looks the worst on single-line posts.

• City Council

Regarding posts taking too much vertical space - if we end up sticking with these forums for whatever reason then I will adjust it so that smaller posts use less vertical space by reducing the avatar size a bit and removing some of the margin and padding in the author pane (this is something I tested while creating the theme but I didn't think it was a problem).

• Thanks 1

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

4 hours ago, Alty said:

@Hyperstrike For search results, there's a CONDENSED and EXPANDED option, it's easy to overlook and the default is set to expanded. 

I'm aware of condensed view.  And am trying to use it.  It's still bloated.  Both in terms of text size and vertical and horizontal white space padding.

I'm running a browster at 2160x3840 and I feel like I'm reading on a 768x1024 screen.

My eyesight's pretty good.  But I'd hate to see this forum at lower resolution.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

25 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Regarding posts taking too much vertical space - if we end up sticking with these forums for whatever reason then I will adjust it so that smaller posts use less vertical space by reducing the avatar size a bit and removing some of the margin and padding in the author pane (this is something I tested while creating the theme but I didn't think it was a problem).

Sorry if I come across as "bitchy" about this.  But I spend a good chunk of my life reading things on my computer and I have a marked preference for compact layouts.
Even at my recockulous resolution.

The basic post font and line spacing is good.  Just the padding/margins need tweaking.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

My biggest issue with vertical spacing on some posts in the old forums) were some sigs were huge. They could post a one-line comment but thanks to the size of their sig their post was 4-5x longer than it needed to be. I ended up turning off sigs in my view because of it but that seems like a brute force way of dealing with it.

I'm not seeing signatures as an option in the sew forums, but if they implement them later on (should these forums return) a cap on sig height would be nice.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

If your HTMagic makes it possible, I think this would be ideal (at least, vertically). Same avatar size, just remove everything else.

If you want to see someone's post count/karma/member status just mouse (or press and hold on mobile) over their name.

Also, less space between posts.

Untitleddd.thumb.png.c1aa12e1abe265acdef11fb861be42cb.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cipher said:

I hope the team decides to keep it because most of the member issues seem to mostly skin adjustments. 

But if it goes back, can we get that search fixed on old forum software?  Cause that was much more cumbersome. 

Edited by Alty

4 hours ago, Cipher said:

I'll be glad to get back to the old forums so I can get my Signature back ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

33 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

I'll be glad to get back to the old forums so I can get my Signature back ...

Signatures just weren't enabled on the current/new forum.

Edited by Alty

• City Council

Alright, new new (maybe add a couple of new's...) plan: we're sticking with IPB for the moment and will be making adjustments as needed. We will not return to SMF at this point, but we may migrate away from IPB if things get too troublesome. An official announcement with more detail should be forthcoming.

• Thanks 3
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!