Okay, Who's the Jerk?

_NOPE_

Seeing "Slots Used: 0/1000" on the select screen maybe made me drool a little, but if the character cap isn't lowered SIGNIFICANTLY for the "live" launch (if this isn't it) a lot of names are probably going to end up taken out of circulation by collectors and trolls.

This was one thing CO did improve on, Character name being independent of your global name, could have any number of folks running around with the same name,

it was only thier @handle attached to it that counted as your name.

Yeah, but it also made it so your name always had your global handle appended to it, so instead of "Justice Guy" I'd always be "Justice Guy@Vanden" or something like that.

That is why I use names from obscure history military leaders and things like that for a lot of my toon names over the years like my current handle I been using since DAOC days (but not my UO days) anyways it was a title bestowed on Jan Ziska he was Hussite general.

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

Seeing "Slots Used: 0/1000" on the select screen maybe made me drool a little, but if the character cap isn't lowered SIGNIFICANTLY for the "live" launch (if this isn't it) a lot of names are probably going to end up taken out of circulation by collectors and trolls.

Good point.  My suggestion would be to constrain everyone down to maybe 3 character slots during the first week of release, then roll out more later on. 

That'd give most people a decent chance at claiming their most cherished identities while keeping the squatters at bay. 

Good point.  My suggestion would be to constrain everyone down to maybe 3 character slots during the first week of release, then roll out more later on. 

That'd give most people a decent chance at claiming their most cherished identities while keeping the squatters at bay.

But then how I am going to test every new character power combo and remake all 32 of my old characters??? That's not fair!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (j/k)

Happened to me as well.

I was able to contact the person ingame, had a nice chat.  He said that if I had the global @Force I must have been OG and he allowed be to have it back.  Pretty awesome fella. 

So contact them, see how attached they are to it, be nice, and see how it goes.  Also bear in mind this is a test server and everything most likely be wiped at some point so you'll have another opportunity.

3 would be more than a little extreme, but maybe 36 or 48? I think one of those was the maximum you could buy up to before shutdown. Something reasonably generous but still restrictive enough to discourage people from wasting their limited amount of slots on inconveniencing others.

I have to admit... tis not me.

I barely have Myrdinn recreated as a level two.  Will be working on that a bit more, after work, if I can walk through (sigh, damnit) Atlas.

*sniff*

Why can't I have Galaxy City back?  We can ignore the Shivans!!!

But then how I am going to test every new character power combo and remake all 32 of my old characters??? That's not fair!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (j/k)

32? What, you only had one account and did characters only on... uh... one... server... hrm...

I can't explain how happy I am that I was able to grab "Jon Smith" before it was gone.  The hero of my CoH novel wouldn't have been the same if he had to change his name...

:-D 

jon01.jpg.6c0d507a778b540d979e60fbbbbed96a.jpg

Put your hands in the air

Let me see you out there,

Cause I'm not going to leave you behind.

I second this, only I think maybe go farther, Maybe limit it to just a few (what was it on the old servers to start with per server?) with a way of unlocking more slots. Perhaps every time you get one character to level 50 you are awarded one more slot? Maybe some other in-game accomplishments (every 500 million inf spent in icon? Every 20 or 30 days of time spent in-game?) would open more.

Then the problem becomes that squatters are creating hundreds of accounts just to squat, even if just to grief certain people or prevent popular names from being used. How to prevent that I don't know...

Nothing like that would be necessary on private shards with limited access and smaller population, but it's going to be a problem here and I don't look forward to everyone I see in the game in a year having names that look like chat handles or doctored up with brackets and crap.

The solution isn'tto limit characters since plenty of us play lots of alts and people who really want to reserve names will just make new game accounts to get around any character limit restriction. Better solutions would be to unreserve names that are for low level characters which haven't gotten any login or XP for a certain time frame. Or code in a hidden name extension (one for each of the old servers). This would allow multiple people to get their names. You could have a "Dr. Phil (Champion)" and someone else could get "Dr. Phil (Pinnacle)".

The best solution, of course, is not requiring character names to be unique. If you try to send a /tell to a character and there are more than one in, you just have to add @Global to it.

Happened to me as well.

I was able to contact the person ingame, had a nice chat.  He said that if I had the global @Force I must have been OG and he allowed be to have it back.  Pretty awesome fella. 

So contact them, see how attached they are to it, be nice, and see how it goes.  Also bear in mind this is a test server and everything most likely be wiped at some point so you'll have another opportunity.

Best way to handle something like this since there's a lot of Feels related to this and it's one server instead of however many we had.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)