DEPRECATED Mini-Guide: How to Autofill your Login Name and Password

Robotech_Master

As of the October 6, 2020 patch, this functionality was removed. Per GMs, it was leftover functionality from some of the old developmental stuff they removed from the code, and it really should not have been available in the first place due to potential security issues having to do with private information being in a plaintext file in your game directory. The new launcher will eventually provide a much more secure method of expedited logins.

Man, it's annoying having to re-type your login name and password every time, isn't it? (Even if it did cause me to remember my long-forgotten password to my live account after all these years…) I recently learned there is actually a way to set up your client so those things are automatically filled in for you. But first, a disclaimer.

UNLESS YOUR COMPUTER IS PRIVATE TO YOU ALONE, THIS IS INSECURE. WITH YOUR COMPUTER SET UP THIS WAY, ANYONE WHO CAN RUN CITY OF HEROES FROM YOUR COMPUTER WILL HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNT. DO NOT DO THIS IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER.

Here's how to set up your computer to fill in your information automatically.

Create a text file in your City of Heroes root directory called resume_info.txt. You can do this with Windows Notepad; nothing more complicated is needed.

On the first line of the file, put the login ID for your account.

On the second line, put your password. 

Then hit enter so the cursor is on a third line, and save the file.

For example, if I were dumb enough to actually tell you my password, my version of that file would look like this:

RobotechMaster
N0tRealliMyPassw0rd

The first time you restart the game client after creating this file, you should see your username and a row of asterisks already filled in. Note that this will automatically fill the same userID and password each time you start the client, regardless of which manifest you are using.

Please use this information safely and wisely, keeping the above disclaimer firmly in mind.

Edited by Robotech_Master
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

I've used a macro keyboard function for years but this would be much easier. Good one!

What I'd REALLY like to do is get past the entire login sequence, including the disclaimer and server selection, so that the game boots to the character select menu. I can't find anything that will get past that Return/Click step after autofilling the login, and it's the slightly tedious combination of the two that is annoying.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 4 weeks later
  • 1 month later
On 10/11/2019 at 8:53 PM, Lost Ninja said:

I just wish the file was saved in the Account Folder, as opposed to the root. No use for multi-boxing as is. 😞

Yeah, and if you play on multiple CoH variations and want it to work for each one, you have to use the same login and password on each one. Which seems kind of questionable from a security point of view.

• Like 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

• 11 months later

Well crap, I mean, it's Easy to change the PWD, but still. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 10/8/2020 at 12:25 AM, Robotech_Master said:

They've said they'll add a secure expedited login capability to the new launcher at some point.

Now if we can get the ability to easily toggle between accounts...

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 1 month later

It works on Private Server tho. Pretty handy and saves a lot of keyboard clicks because We often log in and out when We are experimenting n.n

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

On 11/17/2020 at 3:43 AM, Purrfekshawn said:

It works on Private Server tho. Pretty handy and saves a lot of keyboard clicks because We often log in and out when We are experimenting n.n

Might I suggest making the suggestion to have it added to PW then since it's something that worked on Live and that would be the best/neutral location to put it.

• 1 year later

Hello... I was looking for some way to not have to type in my password every single time.  Apparently, this functionality was removed, but there is a note from October 2020 (20 months ago) that a more secure option would be added to the launcher.  I haven't been able to find anything on the forums about an update to allow you to auto login... 

I use a password manager to logs me into websites and my other games allow me to save my password or allow me to "trust my computer".  

Nothing has been announced since then as of yet, but keep in mind that this is still an all-volunteer effort and they seem to do real good at not putting out stuff that's broken. Since this is a pretty popular thing that people may want, when it's announced, then it'll be pretty visible.